Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 04:39 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
A lot of it is investors. Slow steady growth is what we need. But FL's very up and down.
I'm sure investors do have a lot to do with Florida's boom and bust cycles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 04:41 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
I have met a lot of people who have moved here this year from somewhere else. Yes investors are buying up properties at the lower costs, but there area lot of people relocating to Florida. And if the prognosticators regarding the winter are right, we will see another surge this winter and spring.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:43 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Right, we know. I think it was just the other day you dismissed another members data for using the Sentinel. It's ok to use it as a source as long as you're trying to make a point in your favor.
OK OK - here is another source

Up to date changes & challenges in the real estate market | Quality Property Partners - News

There is always a risk no matter what you buy. Stocks and mutual funds can wipe out an investment in a market upset.

The new car you bought could be hit with a recall next month.

The airplane you are flying in could crash.

If you put 85 cents in a vending machine it could malfunction and you will loose your money.

Life is full of risks. Those who take advantage of risky situations usually do much better than those who play it safe.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:44 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
I have met a lot of people who have moved here this year from somewhere else. Yes investors are buying up properties at the lower costs, but there area lot of people relocating to Florida. And if the prognosticators regarding the winter are right, we will see another surge this winter and spring.
That is the way it could go. Supply and demand.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:10 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I'm sure investors do have a lot to do with Florida's boom and bust cycles.
Oh yea, definitely.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:18 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,138,222 times
Unless something extreme happens in the economy, prepare for more artificial property value increases. Plenty of local pockets already developing.

For the time being however, it seems that sub-prime car loans are the predatory flavor du jour.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:49 PM

484 posts, read 761,282 times
I really don't drill down into RE stuff too much, but I do pay attention to my neighborhood. I bought what was considered "high" for our neighborhood in 2011 @ $137/sq ft. In the last few months several here have sold for anywhere between $146-$170/sq ft. Just seems a bit high, although inventory is pretty low here, and houses don't often sit on the market very long. Still seems a bit out of whack.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:59 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
Good times, bad times, boom and bust, housing bubble, housing bust, high interest rates, low interest rates. None of it matters. Florida has had a net 900,000 new residents every year for many years. Thirty years ago, Sarasota County had 120,000 residents. Today there are 450,000

Old 07-27-2014, 12:46 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
I am not sure I buy what they are selling. I think the highest risk states will always be the ones where people are moving to in droves, like Florida. So I don't think NY and NJ should be on the list.

That said, people are moving to Florida and I suspect we will see a big surge in that after the upcoming winter. Having surges in buyers puts the market at risk, as at some point there is always another reduction in the amount of buyers. Markets which have fewer changes in population tend to stay more flat, thus less risk.

So I would say this latest attempt to draw negative attention to a state which the OP no longer lives in gets a big YAWN.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:07 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I am not sure I buy what they are selling. I think the highest risk states will always be the ones where people are moving to in droves, like Florida. So I don't think NY and NJ should be on the list.

That said, people are moving to Florida and I suspect we will see a big surge in that after the upcoming winter. Having surges in buyers puts the market at risk, as at some point there is always another reduction in the amount of buyers. Markets which have fewer changes in population tend to stay more flat, thus less risk.

So I would say this latest attempt to draw negative attention to a state which the OP no longer lives in gets a big YAWN.
Lol, I'd say you and Siri have been very busy tonight in the Chicago forums. Have fun with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida