Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2006, 06:06 AM

60 posts, read 285,026 times

Advertisements

Hi all, just found this site. I need advice on making a decision to move to Naples from NY. Here's my story: I lived in NY all my life(54yrs)single,no children. I rent an apt. here. I got laid off from my job recently after 36yrs. I own a condo in Naples for the last 16 yrs.(paid off mtg) I am trying to decide if I should move to Naples and give up my rental apt. in NY and look for a job in Naples. I have been going down to Naples twice a year to check on things but have never stayed longer than 3 weeks.
I desparately need advice on whether to move there, stay in NY, move there later on, rent or sell condo. Also, if I decide to move to Naples, how do you make the move?
I am going down to Naples in Nov. for 3 wks. then I have to make a decision; NY rental lease is up in June.
Just too many decisions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 07:43 AM

656 posts, read 1,374,635 times
Make sure you can afford it first. It's not getting any cheaper. Research now will pay off. If you can swing it, you'll like it. Visit a few times and price Real Estate and Insurance (if you can find it) before you move.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:59 AM

16 posts, read 62,759 times
Default Can't make up my mind

You own your condo in Naples free and clear? I would make the move. Being a born and raised New Yorker myself, lived and worked in Manhattan for 18 years, then on to Chicago for 7, now in Florida for 7 years(Tampa Bay area), I can tell you that I welcomed the change. I visited Naples last winter and I thought it was beautiful there. Way out of my price range though. Just remember, once you leave New York, it is really tought to go back, financially. I visit NY often, and every time I go back, I find myself thinking I could never live that pace as I get older (51). Besides, its only 2 1/2 hour flight. If you are a true city person and you are single, you might miss the "buzz" after awhile. I am here 7 years and I am beginning to feel the itch for someplace new. I have been researching Charlotte, N.C. I am really missing tall buildings...lol good luck in your decision

Old 10-29-2006, 08:14 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
If you can get a job in Naples lined up, it looks like the better financial move. You'll be losing the cost of renting the NY apartment, so consider that if the salary in FL is not in line with your old salary.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the advice. I know that I'm the only one that could make up my mind. I do have to pay for Maintence on the condo but I never stayed there longer than 3wks. I don't have much family or friends in NY or in florida. I know I will never make a NY salary in florida but all I need is a job that will cover the bills.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:57 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Hi Jannie~Jammie here. It was so good to read your post this morning. I'm also plagued with indecision. But it's easy for me to suggest things for others because I can see their situations more clearly then my own. Not sure how that works. Anyway, I agree with the posters who said move to Naples. Since you already own your condo, you won't need to make a fortune in order to live, especially since you have no children to support. You won't have to worry about your apartment rent because I understand that's quite a bit in NY.Also, you won't have the utilities to pay there plus personal property insurance up there. You'll have sunshine instead of clouds and snow. You'll have palm trees year around. You've spent time there so you know what it's like there. It'd be scary to move somewhere without ever having been there for a while, but you and I aren't going into this totally blind because we've both been in the areas we're moving to. Granted, it's not the same as actually living there, but we have some idea of what the area is like. By the way, you're just a bit older then I am. That warm weather will be great for bringing out our inner child. Also good for the aches and pains that come with our maturity.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:24 AM

Hi Jammie-Jannie here! Thanks so much for replying. Somtimes you just get scared with making a life changing decision because you don't know if it's the right one. I bought my condo 16 yrs ago brand new and I have furnished it. All I have to do this winter in NY is go throught everything in this apartment and try and sell it. I would not be taking much with me. It's just an overwhelming task. But I guess I can do it since I am unemployed not and semi-retired. Thank God I will be getting health benefits until social security.
Thanks again. write anytime.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:57 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Jannie, health benefits until social security? Oh you're sitting VERY well. You've got a fully paid condo in Fla. and health benefits until retirement. You've got the two biggest things already taken care of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: