Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,224 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is Jeremy and I just recently joined this website, because I found a few other topics and threads from this site while searching google for advice or help, so let me get down to buisness.

I have lived in small areas most of my life, places where I could walk the entire town, on foot in a hour, maybe less. I have never bothered to get my drivers permit and I have never had to bother with a taxi or bus, anything of that nature.

Recently my Dad convinced me to move down with him to Palm Harbor, FL from what I gather is in Pinellas County. This place is very big to me, and very new, also, in the area I currently live, everything is far apart.

This is a huge change for me and it isn't easy. My friends and family told me that I would be able to travel easily via taxi or bus. When I visted a friend in St. Pete and it cost me almost $80.00 via taxi I knew I had to find a better way to travel.

I tried riding a bike to a local place that was supposed to be about 3 miles away, but I just ended up getting lost for 3 hours and went back home. It was terrible.

I have been looking all over for information on buses and their schedules. I have been directed to sites such as PSTA, PCPT, and Hart, all bus lines that are supposed to operate in or around the area. Their sites can be a little confusing, and every single stop I have googled on maps from my address seems to be 13 or more miles away from where I live.

Which confuses me even more, while getting lost in my area, I have come across a number of different bus stop signs, and benches marked as bus stops in the area, but for some reason I simply can't seem to find any valid or helpful information on the matter.

I know I am going to have to get my drivers permit here, I just wish I would have done it before moving down, now I have to worry about that, besides finding and job and trying to figure out how to get around.

Anyone, if you could please shine some light on the matter of public transit, how the buses work and valid schedules in the area, I would be very greatful. I mean, there is a bus stop like 3 blocks from my house, but I have yet to see a bus and I cannot find any schedules for it. Online isn't helping very much.

Please, if you can help, please do so. I am very frustrated right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 01:12 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,938 times
Pinellas county doesn't have a good public transportation system. If someone told you that, they were wrong. The bus system is available, however it takes forever to drive anywhere in Pinellas by car- buses take even longer. Get your license as soon as possible. You are falling behind as we speek.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Pinellas county doesn't have a good public transportation system. If someone told you that, they were wrong. The bus system is available, however it takes forever to drive anywhere in Pinellas by car- buses take even longer. Get your license as soon as possible. You are falling behind as we speek.
Thanks for the insight on the whole matter, for the time being I am going to give up finding information on the bus system here. It is really annoying when you find out the complete oppsite of what people tell you.

I don't really know what I am going to do right now. I just moved here, I don't have a drivers permit and my Dad recently had his drivers permit taken away. So now it seems like I am really screwed.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:44 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,602 times
you need to get a car. once you have a car, you will never understand how you survived without one all those years.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,813 times
You should post this on the Tampa board....it should get you more direct info from locals. Good luck

Old 12-20-2007, 04:01 PM

205 posts, read 989,800 times
Public transportion in Fl in general is horrid, and especially in Pinellas county. I was born in Pinellas and lived there for 24 years. You need to buy a car...walking will get your run over around here, riding your bike will do the same...seriously, the Tampa Bay area is one of the worst places for pedestrians, bike riders, motorscooter/cycle riders.
Buses shouldn't be relied upon as their schedule is horrible and like you said, the stops are few and far between. Taxis are VERY expensive here....it is ridiculous. You could have a car payment with insurance for what it would cost you to rely on a taxi as your only means of transportation.
I can totally understand your frustration...I hate driving and wish I could easily walk or use public transportation, but I cannot so I drive.
The only advice I can really offer you is to try to get a drivers lincense and car ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuehnau View Post
Hello, my name is Jeremy and I just recently joined this website, because I found a few other topics and threads from this site while searching google for advice or help, so let me get down to buisness.

I have lived in small areas most of my life, places where I could walk the entire town, on foot in a hour, maybe less. I have never bothered to get my drivers permit and I have never had to bother with a taxi or bus, anything of that nature.

Recently my Dad convinced me to move down with him to Palm Harbor, FL from what I gather is in Pinellas County. This place is very big to me, and very new, also, in the area I currently live, everything is far apart.

This is a huge change for me and it isn't easy. My friends and family told me that I would be able to travel easily via taxi or bus. When I visted a friend in St. Pete and it cost me almost $80.00 via taxi I knew I had to find a better way to travel.

I tried riding a bike to a local place that was supposed to be about 3 miles away, but I just ended up getting lost for 3 hours and went back home. It was terrible.

I have been looking all over for information on buses and their schedules. I have been directed to sites such as PSTA, PCPT, and Hart, all bus lines that are supposed to operate in or around the area. Their sites can be a little confusing, and every single stop I have googled on maps from my address seems to be 13 or more miles away from where I live.

Which confuses me even more, while getting lost in my area, I have come across a number of different bus stop signs, and benches marked as bus stops in the area, but for some reason I simply can't seem to find any valid or helpful information on the matter.

I know I am going to have to get my drivers permit here, I just wish I would have done it before moving down, now I have to worry about that, besides finding and job and trying to figure out how to get around.

Anyone, if you could please shine some light on the matter of public transit, how the buses work and valid schedules in the area, I would be very greatful. I mean, there is a bus stop like 3 blocks from my house, but I have yet to see a bus and I cannot find any schedules for it. Online isn't helping very much.

Please, if you can help, please do so. I am very frustrated right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida