Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 03:38 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,730 times

Advertisements

How bad is the commute from Palm Coast to Jacksonville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 05:50 PM

200 posts, read 683,808 times
Not bad at all - the longest portion is getting OUT of Palm Coast after 5 pm or before 8 am! Tonight esp. was a total madhouse! WOW WHAT A TRAFFIC JAM! From the Library to HDEPOT took 22 minutes! What is that 1.4 miles?!

Easy to JAX - we take I-95. Nice big lanes - the fast can pass you - the slow YOU can pass...etc. We love shopping up there since the drive is nice and easy. We also do all our FLYING from JAX HUB versus ORLANDO - due to the lighter traffic and less confusion!

Old 12-20-2007, 06:13 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,161 times
"How bad" is a totally relative term that no one can answer for you.
Some people can commute two hours without thinking much about it, other people cannot fathom sitting in a car for more than 20 minutes on a daily basis.

To me, the commute from PC to Jax is a real bear- for darn sure nothing I would ever want to make on a regular basis. Occasionally make it to go to a mall or an airport, sure, but as a daily commute? Hell no. You're looking at 60+ miles as the bird flies, plus *BRUTAL* traffic, city stoplights, rush hours- not to mention that Jacksonville is enormous.

You can start off in Jacksonville, drive in a straight line for an hour and still be in Jacksonville.

Even if your Jax work location is situated very southernly and your place in Palm Coast is most favorably north, the commute is still going to suck day in and day out, day in and day out, day in and day out... With real estate prices in Jacksonville being what they are and seeing as you can have basically any sort of "lifestyle" you wish within the Duval limits- from "shoot guns in your backyard" rural to the beaches to downright urban- I see no reason whatsoever that anyone would voluntarily elect to commute from PC to Jax with gas at $3 a gallon not to mention having to waste 1/6th of your waking life commuting back and forth.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:48 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,881 times
Personally I don't have to commute daily but with a fiancee on Long Island, I am travelling to Jax (OR Dreaded Orlando) about every 2 weeks to fly. I prefer the trip to Jax over Orlando. I don't prefer the 95 mile trek door to door to each airport...just if given a choice, I would choose Jax. The commute itself is not bad but once again, agreeing with the previous poster, whatever your tolerance level is to sitting in a car can determine that. And how frequently you intend to do this commute. From a traffic standpoint, I never get caught in Palm Coast at all...but then again I can get to US-1 fairly quickly without having to go through the major traffic intersections of Palm Coast Parkway and that area. US-1 up to 95 is a breeze and once on 95...center lane....idiots can speed by on the left and you can pass trucks and rvs and slowpokes in the right lane.

Depending on where in Jax, I have to agree again with previous posters...you could have a long drive...Jax is like the 3rd largest city per square mile in the country....so depending on where you need to commute to, it could be a chore. Like I said, the Jax airport I drive to is on the north end of the city...actually closer to Georgia.....so even though Jax is about 60 miles to Palm Coast, I have another 30 to get to the airport. Just something to think about.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:01 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,584 times
I drive to Jacksonville about three times per week, often during rush hours. It's not bad but to get from Palm Coast to the Phillips Hwy area is just under an hour. I don't mind car time but others might.

Palm Coast traffic is increasing but rather than drive into town, I use US1- about 16 miles north or south on US 1 (which is wide open- no lights or businesses) puts me on 95 depending on the direction I need to go.

If you tell me where in Jax you intend to work, I might be able to shed more light.

Downtown is about an hour- but some of the exits from 95 back up a bit.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:56 AM

200 posts, read 683,808 times
I agree with Pirate Girl, try to get out onto US1 as quickly as possible and it is not bad to me either.....it depends what you "came" from. Now compare that to driving Tampa or even just Clearwater around 4pm - ugh! Stops are everywhere on the Interstate. Takes forever to get out of town. I never have had stopped on the Interstate up to (or from) Jax. Easy drive if ya ask me.

Yes - may get old doing it everyday but I drove to Daytona every day and that got old!! So......depends on what you think or compare it too. I would drive to JAX any ole day compared to driving to Orlando. That is an actual Nascar speedway!

Old 12-21-2007, 11:34 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,584 times
I totally agree TeeJayMaJay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida