U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 01:20 PM

774 posts, read 2,051,647 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with telling both sides of any story.

The problem is that forums in general is that they have the reputation as being...
"the fellowship of the miserable".

This one is no different.

The economy nationally is on the brink of recession (IMO). Granted some areas are harder hit than others and in general people who bought homes in 2004-2005 are in trouble (one way or another).
If you read this forum, you might conclude that everywhere else is fine and Florida is on the brink of 1929.

The area I just moved away from (Rhode Island) believe it or not, is in much worse shape overall and the cost of living is MUCH higher.

If you're going to move anywhere, you should be spending lots of time in the area talking with everybody.

If you rely on advice from a forum (positive or negative), you deserve what you get.

Mikey
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 04:11 PM

11 posts, read 46,800 times
Talking Prag's Top Ten Happy Reasons to Move to North Port

I am capable of seeing the glass as "half full" too!

1. Nice People! People smile and wave, greet you in the supermarkets and are very rarely rude.

2. You can't BEAT the weather! Even on rainy days, there's something about North Port - you always catch a rainbow, sometimes two. I saw three one day. (I know I sound ridiculous, but it's true!)

3. Major metro areas 1 hour north (Sarasota) and 1 hour south (Fort Myers).

4. New Shopping centers are cropping up everywhere.

5. The Olde World Restaurant. FABULOUS Food, friendly people. They were probably one of the first fixtures in the area.

6. Traffic can be heavy, but for the most part, it's a pleasant drive to anywhere. Must watch your speed though - City of North Port Police are very active and very attentive. They're also very nice and responsive.

7. Very little violent crime.

8. Even in areas on well and sewer, the water quality is excellent. Very little difference to city water.

9. Beaches are 30 minutes away - TOPS

10. If you're a duffer (golfer), you can't throw a nine iron without it landing on a golf course somewhere.

Merry Christmas to all - and to all, a good night!

Old 12-24-2007, 06:18 PM

57 posts, read 221,371 times
Postinno, I am in the process of moving down and just found a place last week. There are a lot of great deals to be had down there, especially if you dig in a little. The realtor LewLew mentioned proved to be a great help to us, she got us in the right direction and provided a lot of great information with no pressure to buy. Also, there are many others on here that were a great help in learning about the area (good and bad) I felt like I knew the area before I ever got there. If you do not find what you are looking for under the search function feel free to throw out some questions and we will try to answer them as best we can. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:56 PM

6 posts, read 16,375 times
If you're over 55, you'll get discounts at the bank, restaurants and movie theaters. That should help! Early bird specials are hot here!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 9,079 times
Default want to buy in area

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3tsabo View Post
Postinno, I am in the process of moving down and just found a place last week. There are a lot of great deals to be had down there, especially if you dig in a little. The realtor LewLew mentioned proved to be a great help to us, she got us in the right direction and provided a lot of great information with no pressure to buy. Also, there are many others on here that were a great help in learning about the area (good and bad) I felt like I knew the area before I ever got there. If you do not find what you are looking for under the search function feel free to throw out some questions and we will try to answer them as best we can. Good luck!
I need all the information I can get. What about homeowners insurance? Flood insurance? What areas do we not want to buy in. I heard that there was gang activity in North Port any truth to that? Any help would be great.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:24 PM

7,484 posts, read 20,927,707 times
If you call any local insurance company and give them the home address they can give you a home owners insurance quote. Taxes and insurance on a home valued at $230,000 in North Port are $250 per month.

Flood insurance is relatively cheap if you are not in a high risk flood zone, which are usually along the coast and canals. There is a government website that you can go to to check flood status. To give you an example, a home worth $100,000 in the highest risk zone in Charlotte county is about $800 per year for flood insurance. It would be a lot less if you are not in the high risk zone.

I have three children and live in North Port and am not aware of any gang activity. You can check out crime stats on City-Data or call the local police department

Every city has good/bad areas I guess it is a matter of preference. There are areas with older style homes and areas with homes that are newer.

Hope I answered all of your questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida