Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 05:04 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times

Advertisements

For those who don't see the "Real Florida" I'd like to introduce you to it. Enjoy!
https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/c...ers-dream.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 06:45 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
For those who don't see the "Real Florida" I'd like to introduce you to it. Enjoy!
https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/c...ers-dream.html
Well, 8 years ago we thought the same about the Gulf Coast here but massive fish kills and pollution caused most of the commercial and sport fishing to be done for here. The commercial fishermen laugh when you mention this area now....they have moved on.

It's either people...or fish...choose one. You live where there are less people dumping their filth into shallow warm waters. If I were into fishing I would seek out such a place.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:48 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBeta View Post
I can barely handle myself half the continent up on some days, even if it's dry. I wonder on such days how people in Florida, with more heat AND humidity can resist dying from heat stroke.
If you don't love heat and humidity, then don't move to Florida. You have to love it, seek it and embrace it. If you prefer cold, go to a cold state. I live in San Jose CA, it is cold year around. Summer nights I had to run the heating in my house, wear a sweater in summer mornings and evenings for my commute, even though early afternoon it's hot (when I am sitting inside the air conditioned office).

Old 01-10-2020, 08:05 PM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I moved down to the Miami area when I was 22 years old, fresh out of college. I worked at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden for 41+ years. When I was young, the heat didn't bother me so much, plus I would plan my time outdoors to be in a shady location (the arboretum) during the afternoons. I had an air conditioned office ……. in the rainforest. We worked from 7:00 am until 3:30 pm. I lived within the Homestead city limits for about the last 38 years. I have the utmost respect for the field, grove and nursery workers. I think their housing and work conditions improved vastly after Hurricane Andrew.

I use to hike in ENP (Everglades) during late October to mid April - I loved the pine rocklands. I would visit the park about once a month during the summer, just to see what was happening. The heat, mosquitos and humidity was almost intolerable. I worked in my 1/2 acre yard and endured the heat, humidity and biting ants of various and numerous types.

As I got older (mid 50's on....) the heat really got to me. When my 60's came, I found it more difficult to breathe in the totally humid days, especially mornings. I felt more comfortable working outdoors in the late afternoons, evenings than early mornings due to lower humidity in the later day.

Many of the 'migrant' workers no longer migrate. They have full time jobs in the wholesale field nurseries and mango and avocado groves. Many of the workers are from Mexico, Guatemala and other places in Central America. The workers I had contact with (however briefly) seemed hard working, quiet and loved their families.

Two years after I retired, I moved back to my hometown in Indiana. I wanted four seasons, the amazing spring wildflowers, fall color, and cooler, less humid summers. Some people can afford a swimming pool, a boat, live near a beach. Those are all ways to handle the hot, humid months of Florida.
Beautiful post.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:44 PM

82 posts, read 49,773 times
The bottom line is people love to complain. Get one really cold day in the north east and all you here from the natives is how frigid it is, the wind is terrible, I can't wait for summer, etc. Get one really hot day in the northeast and all you here is how terribly hot it is, no, it's the humidity, etc. I've lived in CT for 40 years and we all joke about how we complain when it's cold, and the second there is a hot day, we reverse the complaint.

Hot, humid weather sucks for most people. Cold, windy, blustery weather sucks for most people. Very few places in the world are perfect. When you do find that perfect place, please let me know where it is. Of course, I won't be able to afford living there because everyone will want to live there.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:21 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Not to mention dry throat, $600 heating bills, dry skin, 3 p.m. sunsets, frequent colds, slipping on black ice and severing your spinal cord, etc.
Dry throat, only when I didn't put on my nose strips at bedtime and had to mouth-breathe while sleeping.
Heating bill: around $500/month just for January and February - around $300/month for October/November and March. Under $100/month the rest of the year.
Dry skin - I'm in Florida and I still have dry skin.
The earliest sunset from December 2018 til January 2019 was in November, and it was around 4:30 in the afternoon.
I had the sniffles for two days in the last year before our move south.
The last time I slipped on black ice was in 1969, and I broke my elbow. I was skipping across the street to the bus stop. I was a kid.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:08 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Beautiful post.
Thank you. I had a wonderful career at Fairchild. I met people/corresponded with people throughout the tropical world. Just an fyi: I am a female.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:10 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Heating bill: around $500/month just for January and February - around $300/month for October/November and March. Under $100/month the rest of the year.
What years were these gas bills? How big was the house? These are extraordinary gas bills by today's standards as documented in post 68, but I do remember the natural gas shortages of the 1970s and much higher natural gas prices even a decade ago.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...le-heat-7.html

Old 01-11-2020, 08:15 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Oil heat. And I just checked, turns out it was around $500 for January/February combined, $150 each month for October, November, and March. For the summer our oil bill was just $100 to top off the tank in April, then when they checked back in August it was another $100 to top it off for the start of autumn.

The numbers I posted previously were fairly accurate but for the wrong duration.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:54 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Heat and humidity is math. How you feel isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida