Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 12:40 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

These days, I keep my a/c to around 72-76 and I keep my heat to 71-73. I hate the cold outdoors. I'm loving this little heat wave we are getting right now, but I'll be going to California tonight! Bad timing lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 01:03 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
There is a solution. Get off the couch, go outside and do stuff. Don't be afraid to sweat, it's good for you.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:44 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
...and I've got a 5 ton Trane I crank down to 69 every night....LOL...why, because I can!

and I still get cold when it's below 80 out side

Old 01-15-2020, 08:01 PM

82 posts, read 49,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...and I've got a 5 ton Trane I crank down to 69 every night....LOL...why, because I can!

Some messed up stuff there

Old 01-16-2020, 03:45 AM

70 posts, read 68,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Great post - gave you reps. I am a Florida native, I agree that June - Sept. are the worst months, but even then they aren't that terrible. I have been to many other states in the summer, and ALL of them felt just as hot/humid as Florida and some felt even worse in the summer. At least here we have the coast to moderate the heat and provide a bit of breeze. I live near the coast and even on the hottest days there is almost always at least a little breeze. And our rainstorms also cool things off.

And like the poster above I LIKE humidity - it keeps my skin looking young and fresh even though I am now 64 and go outside daily. I will take heat and humidity any day over cold and dry or cold and damp!
@gypsychic, I was wondering if you could tell me more? I've never been to Florida, I've lived in Oregon most of my life and am pretty miserable, tired of the rain and grey clouds. We do get some humid days here, it's not always hot when humid and it tends to make me feel kind of miserable but I'm not sure how different it is from Florida humidity. I would imagine it does depend on what part of the state you are in and even in different parts of town- how much trees and greenery are around versus concrete always affects temperatures no matter where you are, this is true here as well. I probably wouldn't be interested in bigger cities for myself.

Where I live in Oregon, it tends to be nice from May to October, maybe a bit of November is bearable. April it starts to warm up with some sun but it doesn't really start getting there till May, some years June. So 6 months or more versus 4 months, Florida seems much better. Almost everywhere you go, you have to deal with some kind of weather not being great, at this point I am starting to feel like I'd rather deal with some heat instead of rain. I can always go out in the morning for a bit, get a little sun, stay inside for most of the worst parts, then go out in the evening when it's cooler again. You can go weeks without getting any sun here.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:17 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,863,511 times
You likely get used to it if you move from a less humid area. The humidity gets old by the end of August. Personally I've become less tolerant of the humidity and heat as I've gotten older and would prefer a 4 season climate with less humidity. Even in the winter time, Florida is susceptible to brief shots of humidity. It's lame. At least in the summer time we get strong thunderstorms, those are pretty cool.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:44 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBeachin View Post
You never get used to it. I haven't in almost 40 years.
Speak for yourself.

A large chunk of the youth population engages in rigorous sporting activity, including tackle football in full pads, in the dead of summer, even July and August. South Florida produces, I believe, an outsized portion of college and professional athletes, just for example.

In my household, around 2000 sq.ft., we keep the A/C at a moderate 78 degrees all year round. We also use often the washer & dryer and stove/oven, three meals a day, almost every day (very rarely eat out). Electric bill around $150 per month. No complaint.

I take walks outside almost every day any month of the year, even at midday, for up to around 30 minutes at a time, sometimes more than once a day.

As I get older, I enjoy the humidity a bit more and in "winter" I feel cheated on those few days when the temperature dips below 60.

Having said that, to be sure, if it weren't for industrialization, Florida would be mostly uninhabited and seasonal at that.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:52 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
^^^^
Agree, in fact professional football begins in August and Florida has 3 professional teams.

Heat and humidity is Florida equivalent to living above 8000', it takes getting used to.

People are shocked when I tell them I have a hot tub and use it in summer. No... it's not set on 102*, no I don't use it to warm up, but it's on 100* and use it after a long day of play or working on stuff.

My AC is on 80* in the day 8A to 8P and 78* at night. I'm cooling an all electric 2500 sq ft home, small 12 x 12 enclosed room in my shop, keep my travel trailer plugged in, hot tub, and multiple dehumidifiers. My electron bill is $190-$225 a month.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:50 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns55 View Post
Some messed up stuff there
Not really. The temperature for an ideal night of sleep is between 60 and 67 according to studies conducted..
https://www.sleep.org/articles/temperature-for-sleep/

Old 01-19-2020, 02:54 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
My bedroom is 82 in the summer. No way i am sleeping at below 76f.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida