Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 PM

21 posts, read 50,025 times

Advertisements

I can barely handle myself half the continent up on some days, even if it's dry. I wonder on such days how people in Florida, with more heat AND humidity can resist dying from heat stroke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 11:03 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
TIPS: //www.city-data.com/forum/flori...dicussion.html

Old 09-03-2014, 12:30 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times
We either grew up with it, got used to it, or like some trans-plants, ignore it and survive in constant AC.

I grew up and live in Florida, but have never experienced heat & humidity as I did in Mississippi.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:39 AM

118 posts, read 115,797 times
It's not that bad, but it certainly isn't enjoyable either. I don't recall ever waking up and saying " Man I hope it's hot and humid today"

You do get use to it, when I first moved down here from Boston as a teen the heat didn't bother me much, but the humidity was brutal; now it is what it is.

Personally though I am over it, I never minded snow, I like rain ( which it doesn't do enough of here in my opinion), I miss cold days; the Florida weather isn't the worst but it is far from paradise.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:12 AM

734 posts, read 920,162 times
You get used to it, much like when I lived up north and would sleep with the window open in 30 degree weather. Now anything below 70 starts to feel chilly. Of course, when I go visit back home in the colder months I quickly re-acclimate and the cold doesn't feel so bad, but after a few days I start to miss the Florida sun.

Some doom-and-gloom FL bashers will tell you it's hot and humid 99% of the year, which I personally find ludicrous (if it was really that bad all year, why would our population utterly swell with snowbirds in the fall/winter?). It's really only unbearable from June to September (for me), and even then as long you're not outside all day it's really not all that bad. The rest of the year runs from warm to pleasant, with much lower humidity. I don't know why so many people are terrified of moisture in the air. Some of us prefer not to apply a gallon of lotion every day so we don't look like lizards. Did you know humidity is actually.... GOOD for your skin? Crazy, I know. /sarcasm

Hell, I did several hours of yard work the other day in the early afternoon. Did I sweat? Um, hell yes I did. Did I survive? Yep. Sweating is good for you. Stay hydrated and use common sense (like perhaps some sunscreen at 1pm in the blazing August sun??), and you'll be fine.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:42 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBeta View Post
I can barely handle myself half the continent up on some days, even if it's dry. I wonder on such days how people in Florida, with more heat AND humidity can resist dying from heat stroke.
I try to get up early and do the things I need to do before noon.....exercise before 8-9 a.m. I try to hydrate the best I can, always have water to drink around. I try not to stay inside the AC all day - but get myself acclimated. I think the people who spend their time in the AC all day are the ones who can't seem to adapt.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:36 AM

103 posts, read 230,412 times
I grew up in Florida and don't remember ever being bothered by the heat. Then I spent 24 years in CT. I noticed that I hated the humidity in the summers and grew to dread the cold winters. I felt like I could never get warm enough & loathed dealing with dry skin in the winter. I've been back in Florida for more than a year and am not minding the heat at all. Between AC and a pool, I'm ok with the heat. And I've had to sit outside over the summer to watch my kids games, and though it was most definitely hot, it wasn't unbearable. It must just be preference. You also do have to be conscious of your activities, exercise & yard work are done in the early morning or after sunset, etc.....

Old 09-03-2014, 06:44 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
You legit just get used to it.

I run cross country and run miles in the heat and humidity almost everyday with my students. At 3:30 in the afternoon. And we're all good. We hydrate, we pace ourselves, but it's just what we have to deal with. I honestly don't think much of it really. It just "is what it is...and it aint what it aint"

Now, come winter time I'm basking in the "heat and humidity" ... temps in the mid to low 80s.... nights in the upper 60s.

perf.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:59 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygirl925 View Post
I grew up in Florida and don't remember ever being bothered by the heat. Then I spent 24 years in CT. I noticed that I hated the humidity in the summers and grew to dread the cold winters. I felt like I could never get warm enough & loathed dealing with dry skin in the winter. I've been back in Florida for more than a year and am not minding the heat at all. Between AC and a pool, I'm ok with the heat. And I've had to sit outside over the summer to watch my kids games, and though it was most definitely hot, it wasn't unbearable. It must just be preference. You also do have to be conscious of your activities, exercise & yard work are done in the early morning or after sunset, etc.....
I agree with this. We lived in Ohio and I spent seven months a year feeling like I couldn't get warm and praying for sunshine. It was just so gray and depressing. Then we developed health issues and the cold made life pretty painful. We've been in Florida a little over three years and the heat really isn't any worse than summer heat in Ohio. It lasts longer, but it's no worse. The advantages to Florida are you have sunshine, blue skies, and the ability to do outdoor activities year round without being cold. On the hottest days we try to do gardening, dog walking, physical activities, and manual labor in the mornings and evenings instead of midday. Just about every place is air conditioned here and most people seem to have access to a pool or beach. It was an easy transition for us and I never want to leave here, but we like warm weather and feel living here is a blessing.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:12 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat_popsicle View Post
You get used to it, much like when I lived up north and would sleep with the window open in 30 degree weather. Now anything below 70 starts to feel chilly. Of course, when I go visit back home in the colder months I quickly re-acclimate and the cold doesn't feel so bad, but after a few days I start to miss the Florida sun.

Some doom-and-gloom FL bashers will tell you it's hot and humid 99% of the year, which I personally find ludicrous (if it was really that bad all year, why would our population utterly swell with snowbirds in the fall/winter?). It's really only unbearable from June to September (for me), and even then as long you're not outside all day it's really not all that bad. The rest of the year runs from warm to pleasant, with much lower humidity. I don't know why so many people are terrified of moisture in the air. Some of us prefer not to apply a gallon of lotion every day so we don't look like lizards. Did you know humidity is actually.... GOOD for your skin? Crazy, I know. /sarcasm

Hell, I did several hours of yard work the other day in the early afternoon. Did I sweat? Um, hell yes I did. Did I survive? Yep. Sweating is good for you. Stay hydrated and use common sense (like perhaps some sunscreen at 1pm in the blazing August sun??), and you'll be fine.
Great post - gave you reps. I am a Florida native, I agree that June - Sept. are the worst months, but even then they aren't that terrible. I have been to many other states in the summer, and ALL of them felt just as hot/humid as Florida and some felt even worse in the summer. At least here we have the coast to moderate the heat and provide a bit of breeze. I live near the coast and even on the hottest days there is almost always at least a little breeze. And our rainstorms also cool things off.

And like the poster above I LIKE humidity - it keeps my skin looking young and fresh even though I am now 64 and go outside daily. I will take heat and humidity any day over cold and dry or cold and damp!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida