Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:53 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,904,530 times

Advertisements

Look at the chart for Florida. Up until 1950, most people coming into Florida came from Georgia, followed by all other states. In fact, NY didn't exceed GA as a source of migrants until 1980. AL exceeded FL as a source of migrants up until 1970. OH didn't exceed GA as a source until 1990. IL didn't exceed GA as a source until 2010. 1990 was the first year the Midwest as a whole exceeded the South in number of immigrants.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...abt=0002&abg=1

Basically what this says to me is the "Southern" culture of Florida is still well preserved. The older generations, which tend to control the state, are fully Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 07:50 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,793,610 times
Not necessarily because most people from Georgia are dispersed towards the border in northern Florida like Tallahassee and Jacksonville . I highly doubt too many Georgians live in South Florida but that is just my guess.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:11 PM

24 posts, read 27,671 times
It's a shame that Florida isn't still what it was when I was a child growing up in the 1980's.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Not necessarily because most people from Georgia are dispersed towards the border in northern Florida like Tallahassee and Jacksonville . I highly doubt too many Georgians live in South Florida but that is just my guess.
I'll grant you that the graph doesn't tell the full story because the bulk of the Georgians live in N FL and the bulk of the NY'ers live in S. FL. However, remember the capital is in Tallahassee, where the decisions are made for the whole state.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:18 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,912,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I'll grant you that the graph doesn't tell the full story because the bulk of the Georgians live in N FL and the bulk of the NY'ers live in S. FL. However, remember the capital is in Tallahassee, where the decisions are made for the whole state.

Tallahassee is a building. The legislature decision makers are elected from all over the state.

I DO think, however, that the districts are a scam.

Each COUNTY should have equal representation, allowing less densely populated areas equal weight.

Just because you can bribe large populations to TRANSIENT urban areas doesn't mean that property owners should get the shaft.

But of course the politicians won't go for that because the easily swayed demographic is NOT stable property owners - the foundation of all stable societies.

For EXAMPLE, All Aboard FLorida the biggest scam in the state pretending to be "transit RAIL" between TWO URBAN AREAS that is actually a cover up for bringing FREIGHT in from the Panama Canal and Miami.

While it destroys the entire east coastal communities.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Tallahassee is a building. The legislature decision makers are elected from all over the state.
Well technically Tallahassee is a city

Old 08-27-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Well technically Tallahassee is a city
HAHAHA

Old 08-27-2014, 01:23 PM

88 posts, read 107,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

I DO think, however, that the districts are a scam.

Each COUNTY should have equal representation, allowing less densely populated areas equal weight.

Just because you can bribe large populations to TRANSIENT urban areas doesn't mean that property owners should get the shaft.

But of course the politicians won't go for that because the easily swayed demographic is NOT stable property owners - the foundation of all stable societies.

For EXAMPLE, All Aboard FLorida the biggest scam in the state pretending to be "transit RAIL" between TWO URBAN AREAS that is actually a cover up for bringing FREIGHT in from the Panama Canal and Miami.

While it destroys the entire east coastal communities.
FEC Railroad with or without ALL ABOARD FLORIDA passenger rail would have still captured all of the rail freight cargo coming from the expansion of the Panama Canal into the Port of Miami since it has a direct link right into the Port itself.
Too bad Jacksonville leaders (if you can call them that) were too busy about having the largest scoreboards in the NFL instead of dredging your Port to compete for the Super PANAMAX ships instead. You Snooze You Loose and Jacksonville seems very good at the latter.

What does "TRANSIENT" urban areas mean anyways?

Old 08-28-2014, 06:41 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,704,266 times
People are always discussing FL's "southern culture" and whether it has it or not....

If it's true the older generation is into the southern culture thing that it's also true that they will be the first to die off and give rise to a more northern/immigrant culture as the southern cultures continues to be diluted with immigration and domestic migration from up north and mid-west. And also as they age they die. Who's to preserve it in 10? 20 years from now?

who cares.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami3 View Post
FEC Railroad with or without ALL ABOARD FLORIDA passenger rail would have still captured all of the rail freight cargo coming from the expansion of the Panama Canal into the Port of Miami since it has a direct link right into the Port itself.
Too bad Jacksonville leaders (if you can call them that) were too busy about having the largest scoreboards in the NFL instead of dredging your Port to compete for the Super PANAMAX ships instead. You Snooze You Loose and Jacksonville seems very good at the latter.

What does "TRANSIENT" urban areas mean anyways?
Freight won't be barreling through my neighborhood at 110 MPH 32 times a day, though, like passenger will.

The premise is that All Aboard Florida gets the 1.5 Billion "loan" from taxpayers. Under the CLAIM that they will never need taxpayer funding.

Then all the expansion starts.

Passenger trains are then hurtling through our community at 110 mph 32 times a day between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m.

Great.

You can lob a spitball onto the tracks from 8 feet away in Walgreens parking lot across the street from my HOA. I can EASILY throw a baseball onto the tracks from my HOA gate across US1. And I live on the INTRACOASTAL on the "other side" of my entrance. And from all the other retail throughout the Vero Beach MSA all the way up US 1. Not to mention you cannot even GET to the barrier island or Rt 1 without crossing the tracks from 99% of the mainland.

THEN, because there isn't a SINGLE passenger line in the entire world that isn't publicly funded, AAF can walk leaving taxpayer stuck with the bill.

We had All Aboard FLorida meet with our community last month. It didn't go well.

Is All Aboard carrying freight for darker plan?

As far as "transient" you're right I was probably typing too fast.

I mean an area with transient people and people without any real interest or ability to invest in private property rights, happy to sustain the renter mentality and migrate anywhere that their jobs or the government can get them to go. But specifically: stacked dense unpleasant housing in urban centers. Look at all this talk about "food deserts" in downtown areas. In Jacksonville you can't even walk or bike to a grocery store easily downtown. And the whole city closes up at 7pm except a few bars.

When I was a dog walker in Jacksonville around downtown metro 90% of my clients were renters, relocations, and there was alot of churn. I had TWO homeowners under age 40 out of over 100 families. Probably 2 others who were retirees who owned condos in the luxury high rise Peninsula and San Marco Place. Yes of course home owners exist but they aren't in what I'D call "entry level housing" like Levittown PA/NY back in the day.

All those little houses in San Marco north are tons of renters, too. Thats' why you see so much deferred maintenance etc. The Publix there? NEVER HAPPENED. You see people buying milk in the corner mini marts filled with bongs, wine and beer but no eggs.

We should be pushing for PRIVATE PROPERTY RIGHTS. Less government "planning", impact fees, control over property which increases demand and lowers supply, increasing the cost of private property ownership. Young and "poor" people will NEVER be able to afford good entry level affordable housing at this rate. There won't BE any. There isn't any NOW.

Especially while their income is stagnate. And that means they won't be getting married any time soon or creating family formations or "community". It will be the death of the two party system over time. Republicans are stupid. It's simple supply side economics combined with the rule of law. Giving unsustainable mortgages for overpriced housing that the people OBVIOUSLY couldn't maintain was stupid. How did they think as long as these people were struggling with stagnant wages, that they could keep paying for more expensive housing? (we won't even talk about the idiocy of pulling out the fake equity and ending up upside down).

Our lower income area in Vero Beach is a very small CDP community called Gifford and it has streets and streets of small old school ranch houses. You see the people out there all day long mowing lawns having barbecues etc just like back in the day. Pride of ownership or even the renters there. They don't move out because it's "home". But there's public housing intermixed and section 8. Even if they have occasional shootings or drug busts. And TONS AND TONS of empty wooded areas Zoned for HOA with LARGE COMMUNITES - which keeps the lifelong GIfford residents in those tiny houses surrounded by "rich people". Our downtown area that's decades old is also old school small houses. Maxed out.

The REST of the place is building all >300K HOAs with gates thanks to government "PLANNING".

WHY does the state of FLorida need to own 50% of property? SEE AMENDMENT 1 2014 ballot. ANOTHER SCAM.

I rented in an HOA with an "estuary". Mandated for the builder to develop the community. What a LIE. You saw them spraying it night and day and all the wildlife disappeared. Yes, I called and reported it and nothing happened.

BTW I already sit at rail crossings in Vero twice a day and used to plan my day in Jacksonville around their railway crossing in San Marco. Dog walkers spend all day long in cars.

Maybe somebody should have THOUGHT of this before deciding to EXPAND all the way up the east coast. Oh wait they did. And they came up with a con job to sell it to people who will not PROFIT IN ANY WAY by having their communities destroyed.

HEY LOOK: Right NOW on TV: TIME MAGAZINE cover story: Biggest upcoming demographic in the next election is UNMARRIED PEOPLE.

Not a shock. Told 'ya. Can't afford to get married or even FOCUS on personal life now.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-28-2014 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida