Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 09:38 AM

10 posts, read 20,088 times

Advertisements

I am wanting a fresh start...I want to know your honest opinion about Fl.

I am a single mom of two small children so education and crime is a concern.

I love that there is so much to do but at what cost? I am surprised that after contacting people about moving there.....renting out homes I am told to stay out of Fl...but then I hear from people that it is great and wonderful place to raise children.....Is there a certain area that is better than others?

I just want a decent price for a place to live...an area that isn't lacking in jobs, good education system for children to learn, activities to keep them positively busy, and not having to worry to much about storms every year or gators in the backyards...

Anything please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 09:51 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,932,345 times
Storms will be a concern where ever you move in Florida. Gators are more prevalent in southern Florida. I can't think of anywhere in Florida, or the US for that matter where the job market is good and certainly don't recommend moving without a job. That being said-let's move on to some positives.

I was born and raised in Florida and I'm raising three children here so I have the same concerns as you. I really like the Sarasota county school system. We have been very pleased with Pine View School, which takes special testing to gain entrance but there are other very good schools in Sarasota county as well. The crime in the county is not a big issue from my experience.

There are lots of things to keep the kids busy: The beaches, Mote Marine, The Children's Garden, GWIZ, Jungle Gardens, etc. Too many things to mention actually.

Speaking of beaches I think Sarasota county has some of the most beautiful beaches around-Siesta Key is always rated near the top of most lists.

You might also want to look into the Jupiter area as well. It's a whole different atmosphere over there though-from the beaches to the people to the weather. I think it's more laid back over here on the west coast.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:49 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,152,176 times
Can you tell us more about what's attracting you to Florida?

You love that there is so much to do--what kinds of things do you have in mind there?

Hurricanes and gators are not exclusive to Florida. Anyone living anywhere in Florida or anywhere along the southeastern Atlantic or the Gulf coasts needs to be prepared for hurricanes. Gators love swampy areas, and there are more in the Everglades than anywhere else, but there are plenty in Georgia (primarily in and near the Okeefenokee) and Louisiana especially.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:56 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,793,369 times
I agree with TU-what is attracting you to FL? We can give better advice if you give more information.

In general-

Florida is a retiree and tourist state. The economy and political machine reflect this. I don't think it is a good "start over" place.

Payscales are lower than other places. Schools do not have a good reputation. Many people move here for the weather. They don't have jobs, housing or family support. Then they realize it is not like in the postcards and are struggling.

Rent first. Do not move here without a job or a wad of cash.

That said, considering the limited amount of info, I would look at the bigger cities just for the employment aspect.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:15 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,570,648 times
Jacksonville may be an option.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:41 PM

403 posts, read 1,581,379 times
Mhmm...possibly Lakeland, Florida. They have homes for about 110,000-150,000 there, new job openings.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 PM

558 posts, read 1,836,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
Mhmm...possibly Lakeland, Florida. They have homes for about 110,000-150,000 there, new job openings.
, Do you live in Lakeland? Lakeland is one of the worst areas in Florida for jobs. The unemployment rate here is well over 8% and rising. Crime is increasing at an alarming rate also. What new job openings? Places are shutting down and laying off galore here.

The OP needs to go to a big city for the best job chances imho, I second the checking out Jacksonville since its economy doesn't rely on tourists and it has been pretty safe from hurricanes (of course anything is possible).

OP- Honestly I would stay up north or move up north if you are not already there. By north I mean the Northeast. Don't you watch the news and see how bad Florida is doing? There are much better places for a fresh start than Florida. Don't you want to make decent money so your kids will have a better life? Or is your sunshine more important?

I do wish you the best of luck though.

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 01-10-2009 at 10:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida