Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:46 AM

24 posts, read 33,800 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate from Missouri to Florida and I'm not going to get to fly down and check areas out before the transfer would go through. Right now there are 7 towns that are accepting transfers that we are looking at right now. They are Tarpon Springs, Largo, Lakeland, Lake Wales, Punta Gorda, Pinellas Park and Plant City. Does anyone have any info on any of these as far as public schools, overall safety of the area and really anything else you could think of. We are in our late 30s and have 2 children ages 8 & 5. We will also be looking to rent at first when we get there also. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 07:50 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,796,745 times
Tarpon Springs, Largo, Pinellas Park, Plant City I would look at an scratch off Lakeland because the schools are not that great and Punta Gorda because it is the least family friendly city on the list.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,865,428 times
We made a similar move from KCMO in 1972 and have been in Florida since then (now retired). At that time, I could have lived anywhere, but, chose Tampa, because I traveled the state and wanted easy access to other points ... as well as a larger local city with a business environment and amenities. Florida is a lot larger than most people realize when just looking at a map ... also, tourist traffic can be pretty hectic in many areas. (We subsequently lived in Kissimmee and then spent 27-years in Melbourne/Satellite Beach and now live in Destin, Fl.)

The cities you have mentioned are kind of an odd collection; a little on the smaller side with smaller school systems. One can't really suggest which might work best for you without more criteria.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:54 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,115,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMcKyle View Post
I am looking to relocate from Missouri to Florida and I'm not going to get to fly down and check areas out before the transfer would go through. Right now there are 7 towns that are accepting transfers that we are looking at right now. They are Tarpon Springs, Largo, Lakeland, Lake Wales, Punta Gorda, Pinellas Park and Plant City. Does anyone have any info on any of these as far as public schools, overall safety of the area and really anything else you could think of. We are in our late 30s and have 2 children ages 8 & 5. We will also be looking to rent at first when we get there also. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I would narrow to Tarpon Springs, Largo and Pinellas Park. Tarpon Springs has some good schools but the neighboring town of Palm Harbor has excellent public schools. The same situation applies to Largo and Pinellas Park as the neighboring town of Seminole also has excellent public schools. Both Palm Harbor and Seminole are quite safe with maybe an edge to Palm Harbor.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the responses. Originally we were gonna really look into Punta Gorda but I think that is a little farther south than we want to go. My wife wanted to stay close to Tampa so I'm thinking Largo might be a better choice. Thanks for the heads up about the schools in Seminole and Palm Harbor. Now to just find a decent apartment......haha

Old 09-22-2014, 08:54 AM

113 posts, read 287,179 times
I moved from St louis to Naples Florida about a year and a half ago.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbapasto View Post
I moved from St louis to Naples Florida about a year and a half ago.
Do you have kids? Our main priority is finding a good school system for our daughters ages 8 & 5. The transfers I put on my original post came down today but I can still put in for one and wait and see. How do like Naples?

Old 09-22-2014, 03:02 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,461,568 times
You might look at Bradenton if looking at Tampa.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:07 PM

My wife had mentioned Bradenton but I haven't looked at schools there yet

Old 09-22-2014, 05:07 PM

17,570 posts, read 39,228,192 times
Most people here don't know much about Lakeland or Lake Wales. Lakeland is a nice city in the center of the state and it actually does have some decent schools. It is a young city and community oriented. I would live (and have) before Pinellas Park, Pinellas Park is a pit, IMO. Tarpon Springs is nice and I agree about checking out Bradenton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida