Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:44 AM

217 posts, read 876,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
I don't know where you and Chris are from in MA but I was about as far west as you can get in Mass. A little crappy town (technically a city) called North Adams. As bad as Maine is North Adams was even worse. At least we have the ocean in Maine. Of course I can't say we can swim in the ocean because even at the hottest time of summer the ocean only gets to the 60s.

I also don't have any illusions that living in Florida is going to be a paradise. I realize that no matter where you live you are going to have to work and struggle to make ends meet. But if it's a choice of making 10/hour in Maine or $10 an hour in Florida I will take $10 an hour in Florida. I just have to find a way to make my dream a reality.
I lived outside of North Adams for about 5 years...ughhh! The armpit of Mass. I still have family members in that area. I was born in upstate NY though did the majority of my living there. You are right about Maine though. That's where we went on family vacations.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:09 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,249,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Well I know what life is like in Fla, I lived in Naples for 24 years.. I have family and friends that I've had all my life there. I took a chance, and it didn't work, so I'm coming home. Its very simple
So it's a comfort zone thing...... Understandable.

Just trying to point out that everything you "hated" about Florida before is STILL there. A month of snow didn't change that, so if you were unhappy there before, chances are you'll be unhappy there again.

Last edited by Rhett_Butler; 01-02-2008 at 06:20 AM..

Old 01-02-2008, 07:42 AM

497 posts, read 1,560,689 times
Quote:
You're right it is extreme, for my husband NH was actually much farther south in NE that he was used to. so it was almost a halfway point lol. And you are correct they are worse in the snow up here than the rain down there. The hubbys already been in a head on collision with a lady, on her cellphone not paying attention speeding, hit her brakes , slid through an intersection hit my husband, who was driving code (aka police lights on) to an emergency, in the middle of the night. She claimed she didn't see him? How do you NOT see flashing cop cars at a dead stop at an intersection in the dead of night, with the lights reflecting off the snow, i mean if that isn't bright enough for ya daytime must feel like midnight to this lady...
Oh you would be surprised...I have been in the big red trucks with lights and sirens (in the tower truck which is the biggest fire truck we have!) and had idiots pull out in front of us going code 3 to a fire. And this is when the roads were OK. This particular person cut right in front of the tower truck and went up the wrong way to the exit ramp of the interstate. We didn't get toned out to a 10-55 (car accident) so I guess they got it figured out.

One time we were going code 3 to a fire call and one car pulls over to let us go by and the car in back cuts us off and goes around the car that pulled over. Luckily there was a cruiser behind us who was more than happy to write a ticket to that person.

Don't even get me started on going on calls on the interstate and turnpike because no matter what the road conditions when we are at accidents and car fires or whatever people still blow by us at 70-80MPH without batting an eyelash. Either that or you have the rubberneckers who slow way down so they can see if they can see any bodies. I have seen these people do this and then become part of the accident. We have one rule about the interstate and turnpike...that's to do what we have to do and get off as soon as we can.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:44 AM

497 posts, read 1,560,689 times
Quote:
Thank you , what a nice thing to say There are always going to be bashers no matter where I go, I've been bashed in the NH board for "hating" NH and Florida for switching it up.. but not so much here, just a few times.. I made a mistake, we all do, so oh well lol .. I feel like I can give better advice now becasue I have experienced both, even if it's not a great experience I understand what it takes to live in both enviornments. I moaned and complained about Fla weather so I left which is more than I've seen a lot of people do , I learned my lesson, found that the grass is not always greener on the other side... Story of my life lol!
I have been bashed on the Maine forums for not liking the snow and cold. It's funny because these forums are the only place I have found people get offended for not liking snow and cold. Wherever I go and meet real people like people I work with and people I know I have heard a lot of people say "It's time to move to Florida." Or at the very least they all talk about how they hate the snow and cold. I haven't met anyone who actually likes this weather this winter.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:45 AM

672 posts, read 896,397 times
Default Who lives inside for 9 months up North?

[quote=Floridabound09;2389448]If I had to make the choice to move from one extreme to the other extreme I would do exactly what Tara did.

Tara, I know you post and what I admire is that you realized that you had made a mistake and was honest about it.

Sure some of the Florida bashers see you as a threat to there never ending Florida bashing, but I do not. I see you as being very valuable, not many have done what you did. Your experience is golden! You have been in both places so you have a better view of what it is like. Most people who want to find a way to keep people from moving to Florida have NEVER had that opportunity.

Congrats on realizing that living inside for 9 months out of the year just doesn't cut it. Might as well be a bear.[/QUO

We DON'T live inside for 9 months of the year. Do you think anything below 80 degrees is frigid????? That is absurd.

It was 42 this morning in Naples. Tomorrow they are saying it will be in the 30s. I LOVE IT. I have all my doors and windows open. I had breakfast on my lanai this morning in my flannel pjs. I NEVER go out there when the temps are in the 80s. This is not COLD. It's PERFECT.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:50 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,470,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
So it's a comfort zone thing...... Understandable.

Just trying to point out that everything you "hated" about Florida before is STILL there. A month of snow didn't change that, so if you were unhappy there before, chances are you'll be unhappy there again.
I wouldn't say its a comfort zone thing, but I do not want to move to say another town in the Carolinas , start over again... meet new people , start new jobs etc. When my husband can get his old job back in Naples, we can move right back into our old neighborhood and just get on with life before this whole mess of moving up here. I know that everything that made me unhappy before is still there. But I have a different perspective on it, I hated it before because it was all I knew, because I always thought the grass was greener.. and its not, and I know that now and I realize things there weren't as bad as they seemed. My troubles are going to follow me wherever I go and people are going to find something to hate about where they live , no matter where it is. But I'd rather be around family and friends, than here alone in NH with people who don't like outsiders and do everything the hard way cause its how its always been done.. Thats just annoying to me, I've found that small town life is not for me. I thought that it might have been a problem (esp when I think back to Naples in day 85-86 when there were still farms and I was bored out of my mind) . I just prefer the city life, I like having everything right there that I need and want.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
I have been bashed on the Maine forums for not liking the snow and cold. It's funny because these forums are the only place I have found people get offended for not liking snow and cold. Wherever I go and meet real people like people I work with and people I know I have heard a lot of people say "It's time to move to Florida." Or at the very least they all talk about how they hate the snow and cold. I haven't met anyone who actually likes this weather this winter.
I know they get defensive everywhere. I could care less if people bash Naples, whatever bash Florida, its your right if you hate it. But I get the cold shoulder if I say one thing negative here.. not on the board, but in town..

Old 01-02-2008, 07:57 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,249,008 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say its a comfort zone thing, but I do not want to move to say another town in the Carolinas , start over again... meet new people , start new jobs etc. When my husband can get his old job back in Naples, we can move right back into our old neighborhood and just get on with life before this whole mess of moving up here. I know that everything that made me unhappy before is still there. But I have a different perspective on it, I hated it before because it was all I knew, because I always thought the grass was greener.. and its not, and I know that now and I realize things there weren't as bad as they seemed. My troubles are going to follow me wherever I go and people are going to find something to hate about where they live , no matter where it is. But I'd rather be around family and friends, than here alone in NH with people who don't like outsiders and do everything the hard way cause its how its always been done.. Thats just annoying to me, I've found that small town life is not for me. I thought that it might have been a problem (esp when I think back to Naples in day 85-86 when there were still farms and I was bored out of my mind) . I just prefer the city life, I like having everything right there that I need and want.
That's cool. I certainly understand that. You've discovered that you'd take year round heat over a New Hampshire winter and that's cool. Kudos for trying. Now if some would stop trying to make some definitive pro-Florida hay out of it we can move on...

Some seem to forget that this isn't a Snow belt vs. Florida thing and that people have to choose either one or the other.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:57 AM

[quote=HockeyMom72;2390540]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
If I had to make the choice to move from one extreme to the other extreme I would do exactly what Tara did.

Tara, I know you post and what I admire is that you realized that you had made a mistake and was honest about it.

Sure some of the Florida bashers see you as a threat to there never ending Florida bashing, but I do not. I see you as being very valuable, not many have done what you did. Your experience is golden! You have been in both places so you have a better view of what it is like. Most people who want to find a way to keep people from moving to Florida have NEVER had that opportunity.

Congrats on realizing that living inside for 9 months out of the year just doesn't cut it. Might as well be a bear.[/QUO

We DON'T live inside for 9 months of the year. Do you think anything below 80 degrees is frigid????? That is absurd.

It was 42 this morning in Naples. Tomorrow they are saying it will be in the 30s. I LOVE IT. I have all my doors and windows open. I had breakfast on my lanai this morning in my flannel pjs. I NEVER go out there when the temps are in the 80s. This is not COLD. It's PERFECT.
80's are not hot.. 90's and above are hot. imo... I haven't seen 42 degrees since oct maybe?? well maybe early Nov... in Fla when it used to get down into the 30's wed open our windows and turn on our fan on the ceiling, and a fan at the end of our bed. My husband would then sleep in a tank undershirt and shorts.. 30's is not bad for a couple days maybe even a week.. But for months and months and months on end is different.. Its not like here you can open the windows at 30 degrees. The houses are old and hold that cold in them. Then you'll never get the darn thing warm. And the cold in Fla is a different cold than up north. its a warmer cold if that makes sense.. It might be 30 but it doesn't feel 30.. cause the sun is out.. here its 30 and cloudy with a windchill of 20... Whole different wold.... If it was 42 right now I'd be wearing a t shirt for sure.. instead its 20, wind gusts of 35 mph... wind chill of 6 degrees right now.. snow blowing everywhere. Tomorrow is the charmer of the week though.. high of 8 with a low of -5.... That is not pleasurable I don't care who you are. Thats down right fridgid and any exposed skin will hurt and have a chance for frostbite.. Not play weather.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
That's cool. I certainly understand that. You've discovered that you'd take year round heat over a New Hampshire winter and that's cool. Kudos for trying. Now if some would stop trying to make some definitive pro-Florida hay out of it we can move on...

Some seem to forget that this isn't a Snow belt vs. Florida thing and that people have to choose either one or the other.
thanks I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida