Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:03 PM

672 posts, read 905,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
For those of you who used to live up north and for those of you considering leaving Florida and coming up to the frozen tundra of the northeast here are some pictures I took on Wednesday. Keep in mind this is after considerable melting of the snow pack we had about a week ago...but don't worry...just today we got about 3 inches more with 2 more snow storms coming before the end of the year will make sure the snow pack doesn't go away completely. Anyway, here are the pics...They are from Portland Maine on a walking/jogging trail that I use often....

[/quote]

in my lifetime and also in Portland at USM where my daughter went to school for 2 years. I guess it is just what you are used to. I LOVE that weather. I really do. She came to visit us here in Naples for Christmas and I dragged myself to the beach with them, but I didn't go in the water. Actually, I was totally covered up at the beach today. Some people were actually staring at me with my long sleeved coverup. I don't care. I got enough of a tan here in good old Florida just walking to and from my car. UGH. I wish I could get rid of it. I want my nice PALE skin back. I want to wear my heavy sweaters, cords, coats, etc. I packed all my shorts away once the temps got under 90 degrees.

Some day, some day. If I had a choice of living anywhere in this country other than my home town in New York, PORTLAND, MAINE would be where I would move. Yes, SNOW and all.

I am one person living in Florida who will NOT pity for you for all the "snow" you have. Yes, I HAVE been there, and seen that. Wish I WERE there.

PS. They are predicting a low next Wednesay in Naples of 38 degrees. YES, YES, YES. I cannot wait.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:07 PM

548 posts, read 540,743 times
Hockeymom....taratomsgirl used to be your best buddy on this topic, you guys thought alike.

You must be surprised by her total change of heart after being up north for a short time.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:19 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,239 times

in my lifetime and also in Portland at USM where my daughter went to school for 2 years. I guess it is just what you are used to. I LOVE that weather. I really do. She came to visit us here in Naples for Christmas and I dragged myself to the beach with them, but I didn't go in the water. Actually, I was totally covered up at the beach today. Some people were actually staring at me with my long sleeved coverup. I don't care. I got enough of a tan here in good old Florida just walking to and from my car. UGH. I wish I could get rid of it. I want my nice PALE skin back. I want to wear my heavy sweaters, cords, coats, etc. I packed all my shorts away once the temps got under 90 degrees.

Some day, some day. If I had a choice of living anywhere in this country other than my home town in New York, PORTLAND, MAINE would be where I would move. Yes, SNOW and all.

Hey don't get me wrong, the snow is cool, the cold is well nice... But I think I just hit too hard too fast.. I mean what were the odds right , it hardly snows here for like 10 years.. then the winter I move up and snow to my chest.. The next door neighbor commented that this is the most snow they've seen in any winter in over 10 years... I guess it'd be like someone moving to Naples and a couple months later getting hit with Wilma.. Its a big wake up call! And its a lot to learn, I had to learn to drive in it.. walk in it.. I'm not very good at that lol. I fell and hurt myself yesterday.. And I gotta bundle up the dog.. and then he plays in the snow, gets wet, gets all these snow chunks on his paws they melt all ove my couch! LOL there is just a lot with the snow that I didn't realize.. It was easier to not deal with it.. I see that now But hey if you love it, then you love it !! Can't deny that!!

I am one person living in Florida who will NOT pity for you for all the "snow" you have. Yes, I HAVE been there, and seen that. Wish I WERE there.

PS. They are predicting a low next Wednesay in Naples of 38 degrees. YES, YES, YES. I cannot wait.[/quote]

Old 12-28-2007, 07:25 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Hockeymom, you and I need to trade locations. They are now predicting something like thirteen below zero around New Years for me. It seems an unexpected cold front will be moving in and making it pretty chilly here. I realize you do have some brutal heat in the summertime, but it also gets hot in other areas of the country. The record high for the city I live in is 116 and the record high for my state was tied last year at 122. We don't have as much humidity as you have, but I'll take a 100 plus day any time over the sub zero temps and icy roads. You have the hurricanes, but we have the tornadoes, caved in roofs from heavy snowfalls, etc. The only place that snow looks pretty to me is on Christmas cards.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:31 PM

Default She went too far to fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
Hockeymom....taratomsgirl used to be your best buddy on this topic, you guys thought alike.

You must be surprised by her total change of heart after being up north for a short time.
She went TOO FAR North. You cannot compare the winters in downstate NY to Vermont or Maine. I NEVER experienced ANYTHING like she said in all my almost 60 years of living in New York.

Incidentially, Naples is supposed to have a low of 38 degrees next week. HA, HA, HA. Ready for the BEACH?????????? I will be in my glory while everybody else here is FREEZING.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Hockeymom, you and I need to trade locations. They are now predicting something like thirteen below zero around New Years for me. It seems an unexpected cold front will be moving in and making it pretty chilly here. I realize you do have some brutal heat in the summertime, but it also gets hot in other areas of the country. The record high for the city I live in is 116 and the record high for my state was tied last year at 122. We don't have as much humidity as you have, but I'll take a 100 plus day any time over the sub zero temps and icy roads. You have the hurricanes, but we have the tornadoes, caved in roofs from heavy snowfalls, etc. The only place that snow looks pretty to me is on Christmas cards.
-13 ouchie!! Jan 2nd we're lookin at about 3 degrees.. haa and as write this a warning flashed across my screen..

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT

A BURST OF SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN WILL MAKE UNTREATED SURFACES SLIPPERY DURING THE EARLY MORNING HOURS ON SATURDAY... ESPECIALLY BETWEEN 4 AM AND 7 AM.

HIGHER TERRAIN LOCATIONS IN NORTHERN CHESHIRE AND NORTHWEST HILLSBOROUGH COUNTIES COULD SEE AS MUCH AS 2 OR 3 INCHES OF SNOW AT THE ONSET.

haaaaa oh man, I just keep Beach Boys music running in my head on a continuous loop... "wouldn't it be niicceeee"

Old 12-28-2007, 07:46 PM

Default It does not last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
-13 ouchie!! Jan 2nd we're lookin at about 3 degrees.. haa and as write this a warning flashed across my screen..

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT

A BURST OF SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN WILL MAKE UNTREATED SURFACES SLIPPERY DURING THE EARLY MORNING HOURS ON SATURDAY... ESPECIALLY BETWEEN 4 AM AND 7 AM.

HIGHER TERRAIN LOCATIONS IN NORTHERN CHESHIRE AND NORTHWEST HILLSBOROUGH COUNTIES COULD SEE AS MUCH AS 2 OR 3 INCHES OF SNOW AT THE ONSET.

haaaaa oh man, I just keep Beach Boys music running in my head on a continuous loop... "wouldn't it be niicceeee"
It may seem long to you, but there are 4 seasons. Spring does come. Snow does melt. Summer in Florida is ALL YEAR LONG. That is a fact. It was 86 degrees here in Naples today. That is SUMMER. That is not Winter, or Spring, or Fall. I hear so many people say they have to hibernate "9 months" a year up North. Well, I have to hibernate TWELEVE months a year in Florida because I hate Summer. At least you had some months you enjoyed in Vermont.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
It may seem long to you, but there are 4 seasons. Spring does come. Snow does melt. Summer in Florida is ALL YEAR LONG. That is a fact. It was 86 degrees here in Naples today. That is SUMMER. That is not Winter, or Spring, or Fall. I hear so many people say they have to hibernate "9 months" a year up North. Well, I have to hibernate TWELEVE months a year in Florida because I hate Summer. At least you had some months you enjoyed in Vermont.
Summer is year long in Florida, I will agree with you there (remember I just lived through 24 consecutive years there). However its different severities of summer there.. I can recall having my windows open one year just after halloween and keeping them open till after March.... Last year I think I opened them come January.. We do have the season up here, and yes spring will come. But I can honestly say I feel like winter is draggin on longer than the worst parts of summer down there.. ie July August.. The real brutal months.. And we had some humidity up here. There were days where it felt like Florida summers.. Becasue I'm land locked I dont get a seabreeze or any breeze for that fact... the humidity hangs in the air, creates haze and then the air quality drops. The sky's aren't as blue as Florida, oddly enough I noticed that. Then you can't go outside anyways.. So its the same in some ways.. I can definetly say I've begun hibernation here. I felt like autumn was too quick and then bam winter.. The colors this year weren't that spectacular, kinda dull casue we didn't have a lot of rain, so the leaves more or less just died fell.. A couple trees were beautiful but the overall fall was dull this year. And my allergies for this fall.. WOW..! worst I've ever had em, even in Fla! So spring should be fun Anywho, its got its pros up here for sure.. and its cons.. same with Fla.. I just have to weigh my options and see which I can stand more.. and I can tolerate the heat , and hurricanes and all that with fam and friend around better than being alone in the house, with no family for years.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:24 PM

497 posts, read 1,566,933 times
And you can notice in my pictures that even on a "sunny" day in the winter in Maine, it isn't really sunny. Once the sun comes out in the cold air it almost always causes clouds to form and there goes your sun. I have been in the 80s in the Florida winter and the 80s in winter feel like the 70s in the summer because the humidity isn't there in winter.

My mother hates the heat and can't stand the 80s and 90s but when we went to Disney World in September a couple years ago even though it was close to 90 she made the comment that it didn't feel that bad because there was no humidity.

Also, I hear everyone incorrectly talk about high humidity levels by using the relative humidity numbers. The numbers that you need to pay attention to for the level of comfort is the dew point numbers. Dewpoints above 60 start getting uncomfortable while 70s and above are oppressive. During the summer dewpoints of the 70s are common from Maine to Florida. Sometimes dewpoints can approach 80 which is extremely dangerous.

Here in Maine we occasionally get dewpoints around 77 or 78 in the summer.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:47 PM

Default I didn't find the weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
And you can notice in my pictures that even on a "sunny" day in the winter in Maine, it isn't really sunny. Once the sun comes out in the cold air it almost always causes clouds to form and there goes your sun. I have been in the 80s in the Florida winter and the 80s in winter feel like the 70s in the summer because the humidity isn't there in winter.

My mother hates the heat and can't stand the 80s and 90s but when we went to Disney World in September a couple years ago even though it was close to 90 she made the comment that it didn't feel that bad because there was no humidity.

Also, I hear everyone incorrectly talk about high humidity levels by using the relative humidity numbers. The numbers that you need to pay attention to for the level of comfort is the dew point numbers. Dewpoints above 60 start getting uncomfortable while 70s and above are oppressive. During the summer dewpoints of the 70s are common from Maine to Florida. Sometimes dewpoints can approach 80 which is extremely dangerous.

Here in Maine we occasionally get dewpoints around 77 or 78 in the summer.
in Portland to be that much different from LI. It might have something to do with being on the coastline? Anyhow, if I have to pick a place after LI to live, Portland would be where I would choose. I really liked it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida