Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 01:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,252,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Boy o boy, this is just a bit of a troll thread, isn't it?
These days when you bring up anything to do with politics heated discussions will be guaranteed to follow.I used to participate in such debates but ultimately found arguing the same points over and over to be a rather pointless course of action.
At this point whether Crist gets in or not will depend entirely on the wishes of the majority on voting day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 11:16 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,810,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It's purple now. Wouldn't say it goes blue overnight. Remember, we probably will never have an income tax (forbidden in the constitution) and our property taxes are lower than even TX.
Oh yeah, my property taxes would be about three times higher if I lived in red state Texas. Keep me away from 'conservatives fiscal values' already.

I do have to say we're lucky here with the sales tax instead of income tax, because something like 15% of that sales tax is paid by out of state tourists instead of residents. For all that we complain about them sometimes, we do get a bit of a subsidy from the touristas at times.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:19 PM

174 posts, read 181,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Boy o boy, this is just a bit of a troll thread, isn't it?

Actually I have not seen the most likely paid leftist trolls come in yet and I think that is due to the fact this is statewide not national and not federal. You want to see leftist trolls go to the hypocrisy of global warming thread in economics, there are at least 2 leftist trolls with "scientific evidence" LOL in my opinion.

Anyone know why places like NY and Mass both liberal blue states have enormous property taxes and how exactly that happened? Still TX doesn't even compare to those two states so forget about throwing Houston in the mix.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:30 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,309,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Oh yeah, my property taxes would be about three times higher if I lived in red state Texas. Keep me away from 'conservatives fiscal values' already.

I do have to say we're lucky here with the sales tax instead of income tax, because something like 15% of that sales tax is paid by out of state tourists instead of residents. For all that we complain about them sometimes, we do get a bit of a subsidy from the touristas at times.
Tx has higher sales taxes too

Old 10-02-2014, 06:04 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,003,246 times
If you bring back a flip flopping phony like Charlie Crist back, your state is done. And you Floridians deserve everything you will get with a fool like him in office. Didn't you learn your lesson the last time ?

Old 10-02-2014, 07:00 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,166,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
These days when you bring up anything to do with politics heated discussions will be guaranteed to follow.I used to participate in such debates but ultimately found arguing the same points over and over to be a rather pointless course of action.
At this point whether Crist gets in or not will depend entirely on the wishes of the majority on voting day.
The winning candidate will cheer, the losing candidate will mourn and the rest of us will wonder why we ever had a choice of only those two. Neither of whom I'll be voting for. Hate to skew the election, but I'll write in somebody rather than vote for either of them...

$50 million in ads so far. Fifty Million Dollars. Fifty Million Dollars to trash each other. Fifty fu**ing million dollars that could have been spent on things the state of Florida needs... So, so sad.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
If you bring back a flip flopping phony like Charlie Crist back, your state is done. And you Floridians deserve everything you will get with a fool like him in office. Didn't you learn your lesson the last time ?
Agreed. Honestly, they both suck and I'm voting for Wylie, but at least Rick Scott is the kinda guy to stab you in the front (rather than the back, like Crist).

Old 10-02-2014, 09:47 PM

When Rick Scott was president of HCA, my health insurance went up 20-25% every year because his companies had an effective monopoly of hospital beds in my county. We had the highest hospital costs in the Southeast, and insurers made sure to pass those costs along to consumers, if they were willing to write policies in my county at all. At one point, I had four different health insurance companies in four years because they didn't want to work with Skeletor anymore.

When Rick Scott became governor, he phased out Charlie Crist's appointees on the body that regulates homeowner's insurance policy rates, going with people in favor of 'letting the market set the rates'. Since then, my homeowner's polices have been going up 25-30% a year despite no hurricanes since 2005 and new rules limiting requirement for sinkhole payments.

Rick Scott has cost me thousands of dollars since I move to Florida, plain and simple. And I'm far from the only one who feels like they can't afford another four years of him in Tallahassee.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
When Rick Scott was president of HCA, my health insurance went up 20-25% every year because his companies had an effective monopoly of hospital beds in my county. We had the highest hospital costs in the Southeast, and insurers made sure to pass those costs along to consumers, if they were willing to write policies in my county at all. At one point, I had four different health insurance companies in four years because they didn't want to work with Skeletor anymore.

When Rick Scott became governor, he phased out Charlie Crist's appointees on the body that regulates homeowner's insurance policy rates, going with people in favor of 'letting the market set the rates'. Since then, my homeowner's polices have been going up 25-30% a year despite no hurricanes since 2005 and new rules limiting requirement for sinkhole payments.

Rick Scott has cost me thousands of dollars since I move to Florida, plain and simple. And I'm far from the only one who feels like they can't afford another four years of him in Tallahassee.
Fyi the same complaints were coming from the same people when flood insurance premiums skyrocketed recently. It mass sense though because those people were getting off easy before and not really paying the premium that reflected the true flood risk of their property.

Keep in mind, Many insurers have pulled out of FL while others have jacked up rates

Old 10-03-2014, 08:31 AM

I'm flood zone X, (we actually don't bother with it- 35 feet above MSL, and sandy soil that can handle 24 inches of rain in 36 hours) and not in a sinkhole area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida