Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 01:41 PM

65 posts, read 257,501 times

Advertisements

firemed writes
"I dont hate this state I have been here all my life. I just don't understand what Florida is coming back from."

Who said it's coming back from anything? This topic is the housing mkt. and that is what I was referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 01:50 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,882,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1116 View Post
Long time Floridians are used to the housing being cheap and that has changed. We will become like CA as we are one of the few states in the USA with great weather and an ocean. Compared to CA our housing is cheap. We need to keep the mkt. in prospective. You can pay 1 mill in NYC for a crummy 1BR walk up. You pay for geography. Property taxes are also not that bad compared to the east and midwest. They are just not distributed fairly here. Also, remember we don't pay a state tax. Our biggest problem is insurance. FL will come back. It is still rated the 3rd most desirable state to live in. Constant sunshine, palm trees. it's paradise and paradise does not come cheap. No place is perfect and beating up the state does not help property values. Go to any state blog on this site and you will find people complaining about where they live. Lets get realistic prople.
In the past five years Florida realestate has had the 2nd biggest gains in it history. The first was the 1926 boom of miami.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:53 PM

61 posts, read 147,743 times
Default Housing Market

I know the housing market seems bad here in S Fla but it seems to be a national thing. Yes we do have the tax problem and the insurance problem, but that also seems to be a problem in some other states (as I viewed CNN this morning) Hopefully the voice of the people will be heard and with the elections things will change somewhat. As was mentioned we have many positives in S Fla such as climate in the winter, many entertainment venues, shopping, exposure to people of many cultures, beautiful scenery and neighborhoods, close to the ocean. We should stop preaching the gloom and doom and continue to speak up to make this continue to be a desirable place to live and visit. It will not be good if things continue to spiral downward. It will be disasterous for many people (including me) who hope to use the equity in their homes towards some of their financial security in retirement. I can understand a slight readustment or stagnation, but hopefully no major decline in prices.
As far as the hurricanes, look all over the country. Many areas have some sort of problem to deal with some time of the year.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:41 PM

Default mak1116

I agree with you totally.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:52 PM

Default hopn4mircl

I agree with you totally.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:02 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,775,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1116
It is still rated the 3rd most desirable state to live in.
What are the 1st & 2nd? In fact, where is this list? I love lists!

Old 11-05-2006, 12:07 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,647,783 times
Last year I had no utility power for 3 weeks. There's a generator I built that runs on wood, or other flammable debris. Got food stocked up for 1 month and a junky old boat. TV who cares, I don't waste much time on it anyway. I am tired of the "positive thinking" while Florida speeds to the breaking point. This is not "paradise" not even close. Just walk down the street in May-October and see how much you sweat and how many bugs bite you. Go in the water and step on a sea urchin or get wrapped up in man o' war. But what compares to the rude people from Miami, with attitude bigger than their waistlines. Anyone stupid enough to live beyond their means by borrowing money from their house to buy consumables is just adding to the future problem. I wish people would stop thinking of a home as an ATM and a place to live instead. Isn't there any way to create wealth besides real estate speculation? Florida needs more industries that create real wealth instead of flippers and service employees. I think declining property values are good, if a house only cost 1.00 I could move whenever I wanted. Cheap property means more opportunity for new business and a LOT les taxes. The only ones who really benefit from this real estate bubble are governements with a tax winfall. You can be sure they will waste the money like they always do.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,366 times
Thumbs up fl living

fl living was very cheap until this false raise in property values happened.Fl is a beautiful place to live but the average income person can not afford to buy now.Rent and enjoy for now.The property values will come.But fl. as a great place to live is so true.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,366 times
Default fl living

fl living was very cheap until this false raise in property values happened.Fl is a beautiful place to live but the average income person can not afford to buy now.Rent and enjoy for now.The property values will come.But fl. as a great place to live is so true.there is so much to enjoy in this state and the best part is sunshine,beaches,and the ladies.if the beach boys songs were about fl. years ago fl. homes would be in the price range of ca. right now.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:39 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,184,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopn4miracl View Post
I know the housing market seems bad here in S Fla but it seems to be a national thing.
It's more than just a Florida thing or a national thing, it's an international thing. The basic cause is dangerously low interest rates from the 2000-2005 period not only in the US, but in most major countries.

Basically, the major central banks have been throwing almost free paper money at
their populations in order the keep them consuming.

The result can only be inflation. Now, China and other countries flood the US with
cheaper consumer goods so the inflation has to show up in other areas of the economy, namely asset prices in general. After the stock market crash in 2001, the next candidate was the housing market. Now this is winding down. See http://thehousingbubbleblog.com/ for up-to-date, real-time coverage of the housing bubble and its bursting in this country, including Florida.

In this general context, Florida has particular circumstances, like the hurricanes, forcing up insurance rates on top of high buy prices and rising taxes.

Nonetheless, overall, Florida is still relatively inexpensive compared to many northeastern states and the west coast. However, many of those whose incomes have not kept pace with inflation (real inflation, not reported inflation) are getting flushed out of states like Florida and are running to states like NC and TN where they can still afford to live the lifestyle they've know in Florida over the past several decades.

I hope this explanation helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida