Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 10,858 times

Advertisements

My husband & I have a strong desire to move to a warmer climate. Currently we live in the midwest (Omaha,NE) but both of us hate the cold. I have read so many blogs and continue to get so many differing views of locations. We are planning to narrow our search down to 3-4 areas and scout those in person before making a decision. Jupiter and Clearwater have both been top of mind so far??? My husband & I work from home so employment is not an issue. We have a kindergartner and 2nd grader so wonderful schools and safe location is our #1 priority. I would also prefer to be in an area with a lot of young families and friendly demeanor. We our huge water lovers so the closer to the ocean the better, both of our children are extremely active in gymnastics so an area with a good gym, prefferably less than 30 minutes to a shopping mall and 60 minutes to a international airport. We are okay with suburbs but prefer not to be in a super small town. Obviously this is our ideal criteria but are open to suggestions. Our price range is $350k-450kish. Any opinions,views and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:00 PM

Thanks Florida Vince! I will check this area out and look at the blog. I really appreciate your help

Old 10-18-2014, 06:18 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
As a Midwesterner you'll find the Gulf Coast more appealing as far more transplants from that area of the country wind up there, versus the Atlantic Coast which is predominately (and culturally) geared more toward New York/New Jersey transplants. The Clearwater area is an excellent choice, especially the suburbs of Palm Harbor, East Lake and Safety Harbor which are highly sought after by families with excellent public schools, extensive activities for families/children and low crime. Beaches that are consistently ranked as best (or among the best) in the country are less than 30 minutes away (Clearwater Beach and Caladesi Beach), an excellent major airport is 30 minutes away (Tampa International is consistently voted a traveler favorite) and you're within the 16th largest metro area in the country (Tampa Bay) which obviously provides a wealth of recreational and entertainment options nearby.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:31 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
You'll really have to experience both coasts to see which you prefer. I had 2 towns picked out on the Gulf but ultimately wound up on the Treasure Coast (East Coast) The Gulf isn't the Ocean and the Ocean isn't a Gulf. On that note, Stuart or Palm city would be a good choice on the right coast. Martin County has excellent schools and is reasonably close to everything.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:35 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
On the beach?

Old 10-18-2014, 03:00 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As a Midwesterner you'll find the Gulf Coast more appealing as far more transplants from that area of the country wind up there, versus the Atlantic Coast which is predominately (and culturally) geared more toward New York/New Jersey transplants. The Clearwater area is an excellent choice, especially the suburbs of Palm Harbor, East Lake and Safety Harbor which are highly sought after by families with excellent public schools, extensive activities for families/children and low crime. Beaches that are consistently ranked as best (or among the best) in the country are less than 30 minutes away (Clearwater Beach and Caladesi Beach), an excellent major airport is 30 minutes away (Tampa International is consistently voted a traveler favorite) and you're within the 16th largest metro area in the country (Tampa Bay) which obviously provides a wealth of recreational and entertainment options nearby.
Kyle I disagree....lots of Midwesterners here on the East Coast. I bet half the people I work with are from the Midwest originally. We also get a lot of Southerners from Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia. Our snowbirds are mostly Canadian and the NE though. Have you ever lived over this way, Kyle? I think the difference is mainly if you want to look at white sand and water without a lot of wave action where you can pick up lots of shells on the shore and wade 100 feet into the water without getting your swimsuit wet, head west. If you want to play and be active on the shore head East. Both sides are beautiful, though. Once my kids were 5 or 6 they wanted to boogeyboard or learn to surf so gulf side became boring to them.

Brevard County does fit a lot of the OPs priorities. There are some gymnastic facilities in Melbourne and Merritt Island. My son started his training at the Palm Bay Parks and Recreation Center and was a really cheap way to find out if he wanted to pursue it as he got older. Some of the towns on the beach are tiny, but you can drive from Melbourne Beach to Titusville almost and see that the cities share roads-same on the mainland....towns end and become another town on the other side of the street etc. so basically it is just one area that you will live, work, and play in. Schools here are pretty good compared to the rest off the state; though in trying to get a school tax passed the county school system is threatening to close 2 of the beach side schools. If they do kids may be bused to the next closest school that has room. Parents are pretty active in the schools and sports here.

Another good spot to look into would be St. Augustine. They have really good schools and is a little less expensive to live there than here. They have several outlets up that way, too. It is close to Jacksonville for the airport. Only negative is they do get more freezes and colder winters than we do in the center part of the state.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:27 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,450 times
Clearwater, Jacksonville Beach, Nocatee(St.Johns County), Jupiter, Naples are all nice communities and good luck with your search.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:11 PM

Great info... Thank you so much for the replies!!! I am so excited to be in warmer weather & water. I just want to be sure to pick a wonderful place to raise a family so that we can settle in and not have to re-locate again. I plan on coming down to check a few of these out. Thank you !!!

Old 10-20-2014, 06:54 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessSummer4 View Post
Great info... Thank you so much for the replies!!! I am so excited to be in warmer weather & water. I just want to be sure to pick a wonderful place to raise a family so that we can settle in and not have to re-locate again. I plan on coming down to check a few of these out. Thank you !!!
I'm glad your excited and want to welcome you to our beautiful state and good luck in finding the perfect place for your family.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:33 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
I'm a SW Florida native, born and raised here. I would say if you are going to look in the east coast then you need to start your search over in Jupiter. If I ever moved over to the other coast it would be the only place I would consider.

Now, that being said, I love SW Florida. The beaches are great, the schools (at least the schools my children go to are great), Artsy, friendly. I really like it here or I wouldn't have stuck around so long. Sarasota county has one of the better school system over on the west coast. Pine View school for the Gifted is consistently rated the top school in the state and one of the top in the Nation.

Whether you would like the west coast or east coast better will depend on what type of beaches, schools, and atmosphere you prefer and where in the state you prefer to be located. Both areas are beautiful, as is the entire state of Florida, but both have VERY different natural settings. I think the east coast has a much faster pace then what the west coast has. It seems to me much more laid back on the west coast.

The beaches on the east side of the state are ocean beaches. That is important to note because ocean beaches have a coarse, darker sand and often rough waves. Ocean beaches, however, are PERFECT for surfing. The waves and characteristics of the tide make it a surfer's haven. Not far from Vero in Cocoa Beach is Ron Jon Surf Shop, one of the largest and most well-known surf shops in the lower 48! People come from miles around to surf these crisp, clear ocean waters.

Sarasota is located on the West coast of Florida. It's close to major cities like St. Petersburg, Tampa and Ft. Myers. The beaches that are in and around Sarasota are gulf beaches, which have silky smooth white sand and much tamer, greenish blue waves. Not ideal for professional surfers, but perfect for relaxing and shell hunting! The calmer waters allow more boating, skiing, and scuba activities. What's important to note about Sarasota is its clean, friendly community and art-driven downtown center. Sarasota takes pride in its theater programs, art galleries and trendy boutiques.

Siesta Key Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world with it's power white sand, which is nearly 100% quartz. I know some people would disagree but I'd much rather have powder white sand in the winter than powder white snow. No matter where you are in Florida you're never more than 2 hours or so from the beach. Siesta was just rated the #1 beach in America by Dr. Beach.

I love all the sunshine, warmth and bright sunny days. You know that the local paper used to give out free papers if the sun didn't shine. They didn't have to give out too many.

Check out Brohard Beach in Venice. It's a great beach to let your pooch romp in the sand and water.

If your dog doesn't like the beach there are still plenty of other options: http://www.scgov.net/ParksandRecreation/Parks/PawParks.asp

Florida is full of tropical foliage and is a great place for gardeners, year round. People can also enjoy outdoor sports all year long-hiking, biking, walking, kayaking, golfing, etc We have the huge Legacy Trail for walking and biking.

In southern Sarasota county there's Warm Mineral Springs and Little Salt Spring. Warm Mineral Springs is one of the oldest tourist attractions in FL and people come from all over the world to visit.

This area has a wonderful art community with Towles Court Artist Colony, the many art galleries around, every town has a local art center, there are art festivals going on almost weekly, Ringling School of Art & Design and many resources for artists.

For all you sports enthusiast Sarasota has Ed Smith Stadium: Ed Smith Stadium - Baltimore Orioles Spring Training and Charlotte Sports Park: Charlotte Sports Park - Tampa Bay Rays Spring Training

There are many cultural activities, festivals and music events in the area. Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, Asolo Theater, The Sarasota Opera, Concerts, Ringling Museum (which I believe is free on Monday's), Golden Apple Dinner Theater, Circus Sarasota, Sarasota Ballet are some of the many venues and events. Siesta Key and Nokomis Beach both have drum circles on various nights in the evening. Sarasota county has free summer concerts in the park.

Punta Gorda has the Florida Airshow where the Blue Angles fly. The Hibiscus Festival, The Redfish Fish Tournament many craft shows. Every city has their own farmer's market.

Punta Gorda Farmers Market: http://www.puntagordashopping.com/farmersmarket.html
Sarasota Farmers Market: http://www.sarasotafarmersmarket.org/
Siesta Key Farmers Market: http://www.siestafarmersmarket.com/
Venice Farmers Market: http://venicefloridafarmersmarket.com/

Boca Grande has the world's richest Tarpon Tournament every year. With so much water everywhere there are tons of activities related. There are lots of fishing guides, kayak tours, etc

Here are some of the many festivals in the area:
JAN Southwest Florida Heritage Festival
JAN Sullivan Street Craft Festival
JAN Sarasota Native American Festival
JAN Manatee County Fair
JAN-FEB Sarasota Jazz Festival
FEB Kids Art Festival at Woodmere Park, Venice
FEB Annual Sarasota Festival of the Arts
FEB Annual Wine & Jazz Festival in Punta Gorda
FEB Bradenton Beer Festival
MAR Sarasota Fair
MAR Sarasota Folk Festival in Osprey
MAR Sarasota Shamrock Festival
MAR Peace River Celtic Festival
MAR Spring Fine Arts Festival in Englewood
MAR Peace River Seafood Festival and Redfish Tournament
MAR Englewood Music Festival
MAR Englewood Fine Arts Festival
MAR Manatee Heritage Days
MAR Florida International Air Show
MAR & DEC Anna Maria Islands Art League Winterfest & Springfest
APR Sarasota Film Festival
APR Annual Siesta Fiesta
APR Charlotte Harbor Kayak & Wildlife Festival
APR Venice Shark Tooth Festival
APR Charlotte County Nautical Flea Market and Seafood Festival
APR DeSoto Heritage Festival Seafood Fest in Bradenton
APR Florida Heritage Festival and Riverfest in Bradenton
APR The Kayak and Outdoor Festival
APR-MAY Sarasota Wine Festival
MAY Giving Hunger the Blues in Southside Village
JUNE International Theater Festival In Venice
JUNE Hibiscus Festival In Punta Gorda
JUNE Boca Grande Tarpon Tournament
JUNE-JULY Sarasota Offshore Grand Prix
JULY Fourth of July Freedom Swim in Festival in Punta Gorda
JULY Wildlife Awareness Festival
SEPT Englewood Pioneer Days
OCT Sarasota Blues Festival
OCT Sarasota Chalk Festival
OCT Hunsader Farms Pumpkin Festival
NOV Sarasota Medieval Fair
NOV Annual Downtown Venice Art Festival
NOV Festival Of Trees in Punta Gorda
NOV Family Music Fest in Osprey
Annual St. Armand's Art Festival Something nearly every month

There are many other festivals and fairs just a short drive away.

Oscar Scherer State Park in Osprey has canoeing, camping, hiking, birding, swimming. Myakkahatchee State Park in North Port has trails where you can bring your horses, you can hike along the trails. Myakka River State Park in Sarasota has tons of great FL wildlife, the Myakka Canopy Walk, which is a bridge that is suspended 25 feet off the ground. It extends 85 feet through the canopy and Myakka also has 38 miles of hiking trails. Manatee County has Little Manatee River State Park which runs right along the river. It has camping, hiking, canoeing, etc. Don Pedro State Park you can only get to by boat and is like a private beach. I happened to have the great pleasure of living right beside it as a kid. Venice has Brohard Park, one of the only dog friendly beaches around. Venice is also home to Woodmere Park a 36 acre park where you can let your pooch run and play under the big oak trees. These areas are a haven for photographers, bird watching and outdoor enthusiasts. Sarasota county has more than 200 parks, 109 athletic fields and 16 recreation and community centers.

Sarasota Parks: Parks and Recreation
Manatee County Parks: Manatee County Parks and Recreation - Manatee Chamber of Commerce
Charlotte County Parks: Community Services

Also for all the photographers and gardens, Selby Gardens is a must see. It has over 20,000 plants and displays and was named one of America's Top Ten Botanical Gardens.

The Sarasota area is also very kid friendly. We have GWIZ a science museum that caters to kids. The Children's Garden, a whimsical outdoor play area for children. Then there's Jungle Gardens, which is one of the oldest attractions in FL and has flamingo feeding, bird shows, alligators and many other various animals. Spanish Point is a historical site where they have Indian mounds, early pioneer homes and a lots of summer activities for kids. There are YMCA's in every city from Bradenton to Port Charlotte. Sarasota has Mote Marine Aquarium, which gives a wonderful look at the native sea life. They also to a great job with rehabilitating injured animals and returning them back to the gulf. Bradenton has the South FL Museum, Bishop Planetarium and the Parker Aquarium. Stop by and say "hi" to SW FL's very own manatee, Snooty. The Big Cat Habitat in Sarasota is a wonderful place to visit and see the amazing job Rosaire's do with the animals.

Many restaurants offer waterfront dining all the way down the coast. Speaking of restaurants, this area has lots and lots of wonderful, restaurants for any taste. Many mom and pop restaurants. You could spend a whole day out on St Armand's Circle shopping, browsing and stopping in at Kilwin's for some great ice cream. St Armand's has more than 130 shops, restaurants and galleries.

Here are a few of my favorite restaurants in the area:
Pho Cali
Euphemia Haye
Ophelia's on the Bay
Capt Brian's
Two Senoritas
Columbia
Crab & Fin
Yoder's
Casey Key Fish House
Bijou Café
Joto's Japanese Steakhouse
Blasé Café
Pacific Rim
Mar Vista
Sign of the Mermaid
El Toro Bravo
Lazy Lobster
Ceviche
Mattison's

And I have to add Sweet Tomatoes (for the kids) and Ophelia's (special doggie dining on the porch).

Downtown Sarasota is another all day event with the many eclectic shops and quaint restaurants. There are also some great consignment & antique shops if you make your way downtown. If you're looking to snag a bargain you can try the Red Barn Flea Market in Bradenton, The Sun Flea Market in Port Charlotte or The Dome in Englewood.

Sarasota and Charlotte counties have some of the best schools in the state and also have Pine View School for the gifted, which is one of the top in the nation.

So, folks as you can see there's A LOT to like about the SW FL area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida