Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 11:18 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times

Advertisements

We live in Volusia County, and the other day I was looking at our bill from FPL (which seems to go up every month no matter how much electricity we use, apparently), and they mention that I could pay them $101.40 instead of the bill's actual charge of $131.27 by enrolling in something called FPL Budget Billing. I looked at their web site, and it appears this is simply a come on. You don't save a dime by doing it this way, it simply makes each month's bill similar to the other bills.

Has anyone actually tried this scheme? At first I was hoping to save some money, but the way I read it now, it appears that the savings to me would be zip, nada, zero. Why does this not surprise me coming from a Florida utility company? :{
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 12:41 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Most utility companies offer budget plans and it's not for saving money, it allows people to budget a set amount every month instead of being surprised by high bills during high useage seasons. The bill is averaged from the high and low bills on record and typically they are reset at a higher level each year due to rate increases and if the customer has used more energy than estimated.

We've had the option of budget plans in each state we've lived in, it's not a FL thing at all.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:49 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
We live in Volusia County, and the other day I was looking at our bill from FPL (which seems to go up every month no matter how much electricity we use, apparently), and they mention that I could pay them $101.40 instead of the bill's actual charge of $131.27 by enrolling in something called FPL Budget Billing. I looked at their web site, and it appears this is simply a come on. You don't save a dime by doing it this way, it simply makes each month's bill similar to the other bills.

Has anyone actually tried this scheme? At first I was hoping to save some money, but the way I read it now, it appears that the savings to me would be zip, nada, zero. Why does this not surprise me coming from a Florida utility company? :{
Of course it is not a money saving idea. It makes a persons budget easier. Instead of high summer bills and high winter bills when we have to heat our homes, the level billing idea prevents large monetary bites during those high usage times. They adjust the "level" throughout the year to keep it in line.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:13 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
Hmmm, for some crazy reason, I am going to go w/ making up my own budgets, and not let a Florida utility company get involved in that! Me, I trust. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:33 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Hmmm, for some crazy reason, I am going to go w/ making up my own budgets, and not let a Florida utility company get involved in that! Me, I trust. Thanks for the info.
That's cool. There are a lot of folks out there who would thrown for a tizzy if they got a $300 electric bill in August. The utility simply averages your usage and the customer pays the average instead of getting shocking (no pun intended) during high usage months. A person can then expect a fairly similar bill all year long without those spikes.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:02 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Every electric company in the country has the same "scheme". (If they offer budget billing.) Your outrage is completely unfounded. jeeze, Philly ' s had it for decades. Is this your first electric bill?

Why would you think it meant you would pay less for electric ?

BTW you are saving money not being billed interest for paying less than the full amount in your peak usage months.

Math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida