Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 12:22 PM

14 posts, read 39,265 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am new to this forum so I wanted to introduce myself and share with you a little bit about my current situation to get some advice about relocating to South Florida.

My current situation:

I am an Associate Business System Developer/Analyst (IT Field) at a company in PA. Due to family reasons, I am currently searching for a full-time job that is similar to what I am doing right now as I am in a process of relocating to South Florida to reunite with my fiancee. After spending time doing research about finding a job in a different state, I am aware of the challenges that I might be facing during this transition process, but I am fully dedicated to make this life changing event happen even though I am doing quite well in PA. However, family will always come first in my mind without a doubt.

Other thoughts:

I set the goal and the time frame that I will be moving to South Florida between January 2015 - May 2015 as soon as I secure a new job in the area. During this period, I should have enough personal time for job searching, interviews, and et cetera. If that doesn't work out, I will think about moving without a job and try to find one when I am there.

Right now, I did not apply to any job just yet because of the timing issue at the moment; I know I wouldn't be able to move right away as I have a pretty busy work and personal schedule lined up in front of me for the rest of the year, but I will be ready to make the move starting January 2015 (I don't have to sell a house or anything like that, pretty much just pack up and I am good to go). I know I still have some time before I really get into that whole job searching process, but I want to start ahead and try to do what I can at the moment. That means, try to know and connect with IT and HR people on LinkedIn in the South Florida area, reading posts, getting advice, and basically anything that will help me to land a new job in the end.

Please let me know your thoughts on how I should approach this. Even though I do have a basic plan for myself but I know I am missing something. Should I apply for jobs right now even though I can't make the move until the beginning of next year? I am basically looking for ways to increase my chance of employment when that time comes.

Thank you for your help and your precious time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 12:55 PM

440 posts, read 595,702 times
It wouldn't be a bad idea to checkout what kind of jobs are available in the area and see what they are paying now, but as far as applying there really isn't a use in doing that yet because if they want to hire you now you're not going to be ready.

When you are ready which i would say start around the end of november or beginning of december in regards to the time frame you set, then you need to get a google voice # with a 305 area code and put that on your resume along with a South Florida address, which i'm assuming since you have family that lives there, then use theirs.

Tweak and adjust your resume for exactly the jobs you are applying for. Use job sites like careerbuilder, monster, dice, indeed, simplyhired. Once you upload your resume on those and make it very professional, start applying to jobs that fit you, then you will get recruiters calling you. I would also google IT recruiting firms in the area where you are moving, call them and talk to a recruiter and tell them your situation and that you are willing to move there no matter what and that there is nothing holding you back up in PA. That is exactly what i did, and my recruiter worked with me and got me the position i wanted, and 3 weeks later I was in FL. I was actually surprised how quick it took for me to get a job down here, but it also all depends on your experience and your skills.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Old 10-24-2014, 01:16 PM

14 posts, read 39,265 times
Thanks for your advice Beacher. I have no problem getting a google voice number with a 305 area code or getting a South Florida address. My question is if I do that, how should i go about explaining to the HR the fact that I am still in PA? Furthermore, if they look at my resume, all my past experience and education happened in PA.

Here is a good example: If my home address is a Florida address but my current job is in PA, What would they think about that? I don't think something like, "yea, i fly to PA for work everyday." would work.

I understand you got a recruiter who worked with you and ended up with a happy ending. But let's say I have no recruiters and I am at the stage where I am just applying online. How do I explain my Florida "Home" address?

Old 10-24-2014, 02:20 PM

440 posts, read 595,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky1854 View Post
Thanks for your advice Beacher. I have no problem getting a google voice number with a 305 area code or getting a South Florida address. My question is if I do that, how should i go about explaining to the HR the fact that I am still in PA? Furthermore, if they look at my resume, all my past experience and education happened in PA.

Here is a good example: If my home address is a Florida address but my current job is in PA, What would they think about that? I don't think something like, "yea, i fly to PA for work everyday." would work.

I understand you got a recruiter who worked with you and ended up with a happy ending. But let's say I have no recruiters and I am at the stage where I am just applying online. How do I explain my Florida "Home" address?
Usually on your resume you have a start date and end date for each job you've had, what i did was the current job i had i put that it had ended recently so then they thought i was no longer at that job and most likely moved to Florida. Once HR or a recruiter calls you, just tell them that you are just finishing a project with your current job but already let your boss know you are moving to FL. You just have to get that call, once you get the call and explain to them your plans thats all it takes, the rest is how good you sweet talk them
As far as explaining your FL home, just tell them your fiance lives there and you plan on moving in with him and making that your address.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:58 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
You're going to run into the dead spot between Thanksgiving and Christmas/end of year when people are in holiday mode. If you see anything that interests you, I would apply now as there will be all sorts of delays from the people who have to interview you and move the paperwork forward. People also tend to relax during that time and don't push things forward as quickly as other times of the year. I've worked on projects at various large companies and it's always the case.

This is from someone who spent 10 years in sales and 25 years running her own company. We never got new orders or new projects at the end of the year unless there was left over money in the budget which was rare.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:09 PM

102 posts, read 150,713 times
Unless you're 'executive level' it's tough. A few years back, I was looking for jobs in a state about 10 hours away. That meant I needed to travel to interviews at my own expense. Taking that time off of work gets difficult and expensive as well. Most companies will start with a phone interview but they want an in person usually within a week after that. My best advice is be straightforward that you are relocating at your own expense (assuming you are) and you are available for interviews given a 3-5 business days notice. Another thing that may help is put you 'work remotely' on your resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: