Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:25 PM

824 posts, read 1,176,983 times

Advertisements

If you want agenda 21, charlie crist will accommodate you, rick scott will Accommodate you, if you want amnesty for illegals, both crist and scott will accommodate you, if you want more jobs being sent overseas both of these candidates will Accommodate you, if you want more government in your lives, both scott and crist will accommodate, but I Want freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for floridians, vote adrian wyllie, he gets my vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 09:39 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,738,096 times
He's got my vote too. The other two clowns make me sick. Too bad most Floridiots cannot fathom what a Libertarian is.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:43 AM

734 posts, read 920,095 times
I totally get voting your conscience, but the sad truth is that a vote for Adrian is a vote thrown in the trash.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:52 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,448,766 times
I've been so busy, didn't know there was even a third option. Thanks for let us know.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:02 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,050 times
Very interesting - I'm glad when people vote for a candidate outside of the 2-party system because it makes it more likely we will have more choices in the future. Independent and 3rd-party candidates have won in other elections in other states, and Florida is a prime location for that kind of success since so many residents want to function outside of the the current government setup.

I personally am not a fan of Libertarianism at all, but I think it's good to be open to different ways of thinking about our government, and it's always good for someone to vote for a candidate they truly believe in. This sends a very strong message to people running the two-party system that they are not doing enough to be real and address voters' actual concerns.

For me, the Constitution is a living document and things SHOULD be very different from what they were over 200 years ago. I don't want to go back to what that time was like, and I don't want to focus too strictly on the way laws were written then - I'm not British, I'm not rich, I'm not male, and I don't own slaves. I don't have anything in common with the people who originally wrote the Constitution - or the Declaration of Independence, which is actually where the idea of the pursuit of happiness comes from, as it is not really a Constitutional right - and my people were not even in this country until around 1900. Those rich hypocritical b@st@rds would have spat on my relatives, so I'm not into quoting them constantly like they are God. I prefer a much more modern interpretation of what government should be, and I believe that government has a responsibility in protecting the quality of life of its citizens - WE ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS THE QUALITY OF LIFE OF OUR POOREST CITIZEN. And I do notice that the only prominent Libertarians I have ever seen are all male and white and wealthy, just like their Constitutional idols - which does not appeal to me. But, as I said, I'm glad for people to think outside of the box and actually support a candidate they believe in. The more of us who do that, the more likely we will be to have diverse candidates to choose from. It would be great though if some of them eventually were female, and/or had some racial or sexual orientation or age or class diversity, rather than a huge stream of wealthy older white men. Equal representation does not exist when a majority of people in the US are female, but the vast majority of the people in the government are male. Likewise for a vast majority of the population to be middle or lower class, while the vast majority of "representatives" are in the 1%. It is just nonsense to pretend they would get the concerns of people they have nothing in common with.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:32 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,296,042 times
I don't think that voting a third-party candidate is throwing a vote in the trash. Quite the contrary, at a certain threshold, the main party powerbrokers take notice and even adjust their rhetoric, maybe even policies.

Buying completely into any ideology is daft, the world simply doesn't work that way, and the closest thing we will ever have to libertarianism is exactly what we have: a bunch of lawyers and businesspeople who at the same time both cooperate and slug it out against each other - who doesn't like sausage and a few crumbs of bread? -, with the Constitution, a time-tested set of rules, acting as great arbiter. They have tried one-man and one-party rule in other times in other places, and the results show that it is worse.

I have voted third-party candidates in the past, I have split my ticket, so to speak, glad I did, I am not the only one, and I am not at all horrified by the split government we have in DC, in fact I appreciate it, we have the most realistic acceptable balance that we can reasonably expect to have. I have at least some confidence in the collective wisdom, expressed individually, and the dispersion of power. Constitutional checks and balances, then, are in everybody's interest, yesterday and today.

As for the Florida governorship, I looked into the libertarian candidate and I am not impressed, I don't notice any concrete significant policy proposals, just daft ideological drivel.

I don't see any significant policy differences between Mr Crist and Mr Scott. In fact, either way, I hope they do as little as possible and necessary.

I think Mr Crist made a mistake by running for the US Senate when he could have been re-elected as governor four years ago. By his calculations, the governorship is second choice. Furthermore, I do not appreciate his political whoring among one party, then another, then another, but not that it makes a big difference.

I will vote for Mr Scott, with no emotion, in appreciation for the "bribe" of lowering college tuition costs, that's good enough for me, I don't pretend to be sophisticated.

If Mr Crist is elected I wouldn't worry about it too much, in fact not at all, unless by some miracle the entire State Legislature was turned over to the Democrat party.

Last edited by bale002; 11-03-2014 at 08:43 AM..

Old 11-03-2014, 11:37 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,098,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
I totally get voting your conscience, but the sad truth is that a vote for Adrian is a vote thrown in the trash.
And that mentality is what keeps America going down the path that we are.

What if you were only given 2 options for everything else in life? Only 2 restaurants, only 2 places to buy clothes, only 2 credit card companies, only 2 cable providers, only 2 cell phone providers...you see where I am going.

Yeah, Adrian likely won't win (understatement)...but if people don't get away from the "voting for the lesser of 2 evils" in politics, then nothing will ever change!

These 2 guys have spent OVER $100 MILLION DOLLARS to win the office of governor. To even fathom making a decision like that...just blows my mind and shows that money (our tax money in our case) isn't important to them. What a complete waste.

Don't even get me started on the campaign ads of each...nothing but complete trash TV. I finally saw a positive ad put out by each of them 1 week before election day...the rest is child's play and attacking. How could the average person know what their platform is except "they hate each other"?

Something has to change and people always are asking for it and complain after every election because "either way we were screwed". Well, do something about it!

Old 11-03-2014, 11:41 AM

734 posts, read 920,095 times
Blah blah blah. I agree with what he's doing, but the reality is that he is essentially throwing it away in THIS PARTICULAR ELECTION. I'm sorry you can't fathom that. The Libertarian party doesn't have enough traction yet, and I'd be willing to bet most FL voters don't even know who he is. Please save the conscience crusader rhetoric because a) I agree with what you're saying, and b) in this particular case, it doesn't matter because he will not win, guaranteed.

It pains me to say it since I normally vote my conscience as well, but in this case I'd rather vote for a candidate who has a fighting chance to oust Rick Scott.

FL is a very ignorant state when it comes to elections (see: Jeb Bush, Rick Scott, chads that like to hang, etc.). If it's not blasted in their faces every 12 seconds (like the mudslinging campaigns we all know and, well, hate) then they don't know it exists.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:58 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,313,814 times
Quote:
People like you are why we continue to have a sh***y government with both parties screwing the american people over.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:59 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,313,814 times
Quote:
, it doesn't matter because he will not win, guaranteed.
It will build support for the party and the candidates. IIRC, once you get to double digit % in the polls, you unlock federal funding for your party. Would help the LP immensely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida