Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 04:11 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times

Advertisements

Good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
You probably just need to get used to it. Ask questions and don't feel dumb asking them. It is the only way you will learn the trade. Just do your best. Right now concentrate on getting the order right, smile, give good customer service, follow the safety and food safety rules, and work at the speed you can work at safely learning to use the" saws". Of course you won't be as fast as people who have been there for years,yet. Also .....just an FYI... even the customers who get upset and say they will never come back.......they always do. If I remember correctly deli workers start out with a little higher pay( my son started in the deli) so you might not want to switch over to another department until you have been there at least 90 days and get the first raise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 02:42 AM

199 posts, read 528,339 times
Your new and there is a learning curve. First off learn to listen to what the customer wants. I find many people never master the art of listening. At the Publix store I shop at the employees seem to be mostly the same ones year after year. So retention seems good, they must like there jobs, or Publix is a good place to work.

Suck it up and do your best, don't be a whiner. Challenge yourself to become the best deli counter person there, believe me your boss will notice you.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:06 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
In the Publix I go to the deli employees are slow as molasses. Anyway if you think that you might get fired it's better to ask if they have an opening in another department or if you can work in the back making the premade sandwiches. Or if you do get fired just beg them to put you in another department instead. I would think the deli is one of the hardest areas, you have to know prices and codes for ringing things up and how to cut coldcuts and what machines to use for cheese, ets. Let them know you feel you didn't get the right training and ask to speak to the store manager before getting fired, if it gets to that.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:27 AM

228 posts, read 362,072 times
I worked in the deli at our publix a few years ago

It does take awhile to get used to all the different meats and cheeses, but trust me, once season hits you will have no trouble remembering what's what. Look at the flyer on Thursday morning before you go to work so you know what's going to be on sale, because even tho the sale tag may be on the front of the deli case, it won't be on the back facing you (my experience).

After you have been there awhile, you can ask to cross-train. All they can say is no, if they really like you, they may not want you to cross train.

When you slice Limburger, make sure you take the time to clean that slicer, no one wants Limburger in with their ham! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida