Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:56 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times

Advertisements

IIRC, the one and only reason he gave when he cancelled HSR was a report published by the Reason Foundation. He ignored all the other studies and chose to listen to a libertarian think tank. It was nothing more than a **** you to President Obama, and the citizens of Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 12:01 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
I call him Dick, not Rick...

Old 11-11-2014, 01:01 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
I read up extensively on this issue and it appeared to really be a political move. Even Republicans were encouraging him to take the money but he was fresh off a tea party win and needed to play the part. Just about every study showed the train carried little risk because of the volume of riders between OIA and Disney. Even if the majority of riders made just that short trip it would have covered the operating costs. The next biggest backers of the train were TB tourists industry who had hoped this would encourage people to spend some time at Clearwater, St. Pete, Tampa and the beaches. The whole issue of "it only benefits tourists" is somewhat of a weak argument considering how much tourism means to our local economies. Atlanta Hartsfield airport is one of the busiest airports in the world because it's Delta's regional hub but you'll never hear people in Atlanta saying they shouldn't spend money on airport infrastructure that only benefits travelers. My point is, even if it was mostly tourist on the train, by definition they need to buy and use our services and resources while they are here. They might be visiting from elsewhere but they're leaving their money here. Why we didn't capitalize on that seemed like a pretty political move to me. Last time I checked the local business, hotels, restaurants, etc are all private industry who stood to gain the most from this project.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:14 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Whats needed but will never be.

http://watchdog.wpengine.netdna-cdn....t-plan-map.jpg

Comes from this article=
http://watchdog.org/147880/light-rail-boondoggle/

Old 11-11-2014, 02:56 PM

734 posts, read 920,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Why did Scott turn down money from Obama for light rail from Tampa to Orlando and now wants taxpayers to pay for it.
Because the cost overruns and cost of maintenance would have fallen on the shoulders of Floridians. And let's face it - it was a stupid idea.

Gulf beach tourism has been hitting record numbers lately. Remind me why people think it would be a good idea to promote more tourism. We have plenty. And it'll only grow thanks to the dreaded "polar vortex" ravaging northern states during winter.

If it were stimulus money for a local transit system; you know, one designed to move working locals around, it would have merited a closer inspection of the numbers. As it stood, we don't really need a rail from Orlando to the Gulf to move tourists around.

One of the very few things Scott has done that I 100% agree with.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:38 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Because the cost overruns and cost of maintenance would have fallen on the shoulders of Floridians. And let's face it - it was a stupid idea.

Gulf beach tourism has been hitting record numbers lately. Remind me why people think it would be a good idea to promote more tourism. We have plenty. And it'll only grow thanks to the dreaded "polar vortex" ravaging northern states during winter.

If it were stimulus money for a local transit system; you know, one designed to move working locals around, it would have merited a closer inspection of the numbers. As it stood, we don't really need a rail from Orlando to the Gulf to move tourists around.

One of the very few things Scott has done that I 100% agree with.
The HSR between Orlando and Tampa was just the beginning. There were plans to extend it to Miami and then North to join with other future HSR systems. This was more than just tourism, it was to be part of regional and then national HSR. Too bad he gave all that money to other states.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:05 PM

729 posts, read 1,301,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird45 View Post
I believe Scott turned it down because the state was still responsible for the operating and maintenance costs for a system that was expected to carry few passengers except from the Orlando Airport to the tourist spots in and around Disney.
The state was not responsible for that and Scott turned it down to placate the Tea Party. Several bidding companies/countries offered to cover those expenses and any additional project overruns and this is well documented. However, the same year, Scott agreed to buy rail from CSX so that they could relocate from Orlando's Taft yard and expand operations in Winter Haven, thus making the way for Sunrail at Florida's expense.

Last edited by HeartofFlorida; 11-11-2014 at 04:52 PM..

Old 11-11-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
The HSR between Orlando and Tampa was just the beginning. There were plans to extend it to Miami and then North to join with other future HSR systems. This was more than just tourism, it was to be part of regional and then national HSR. Too bad he gave all that money to other states.
Thank you.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franniejacks View Post
I'm pretty new here and not sure of all the issues/politics with this light rail plan. But, isn't there already an Amtrak train that runs between Tampa and Orlando. If so, can that service be enhanced without having to re-invent the wheel???
Eh, it could but what people have to keep in mind is that CSX rerouted their traffic from the Orlando area through Plant City/Lakeland enroute to the ILC in Winter Haven. That in itself would take major $$$ from the state and I don't think they're willing to do that again.

Is it possible, YES! Is it probable, NO!

Old 11-11-2014, 04:18 PM

734 posts, read 920,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Florida doesn't need light rail between cities. Yet.

It needs local light rail in its major cities, serving the local populace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida