Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 11:37 AM

4 posts, read 26,330 times

Advertisements

So i just started working at Publix and i am in the deli, so far i am not really grasping how things are. plus its a rushed store so i have to learn everything quick and fast and just be fast, which sucks since i don't know any of the stuff there yet. i have never worked with food before so its a lot of get in and i just don't feel like its for me.. i was wondering what could i do?
should i talk to my manager and see if i can switch department, even though its only been a week of me being there? can they do that?
In way i don't want to ask because i am worried that there isn't any positions and my manager is going to know i don't like it, and cut my hours..
or do i have to just put up with it for 3 months or so till i can finally switch to a different department..
would be great to know what i can do.
from anyone who's worked in publix and may know, or has any thought on the subject.
thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 12:07 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpublixworker01 View Post
So i just started working at Publix and i am in the deli, so far i am not really grasping how things are. plus its a rushed store so i have to learn everything quick and fast and just be fast, which sucks since i don't know any of the stuff there yet. i have never worked with food before so its a lot of get in and i just don't feel like its for me.. i was wondering what could i do?
should i talk to my manager and see if i can switch department, even though its only been a week of me being there? can they do that?
In way i don't want to ask because i am worried that there isn't any positions and my manager is going to know i don't like it, and cut my hours..
or do i have to just put up with it for 3 months or so till i can finally switch to a different department..
from anyone who's worked in publix and may know, or has any thought on the subject.
thank you.
I've never worked in Publix, but I've shopped there quite a bit, LOL ( stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night, LOL). Did they provide you with any training when you started working in the deli? Seems to me this would be essential, is it possible you just didn't get enough of being shown the ropes, and a couple more days of this training would make things easier and maybe that would make you like it better. If you decide that you really want to work in another department or doing another job there, you could mention it to your manager, but you'd have to wait till there is a vacancy.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:28 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times
You are still learning. Of course things are going to feel difficult and new and confusing. They expect you to make mistakes at first while you are still learning. I would find an employee you work with you can trust who can help you to learn. Give it a little more time. That is what your manager wants you to do or they may consider you a quitter.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:50 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpublixworker01 View Post
thank you.
You probably just need to get used to it. Ask questions and don't feel dumb asking them. It is the only way you will learn the trade. Just do your best. Right now concentrate on getting the order right, smile, give good customer service, follow the safety and food safety rules, and work at the speed you can work at safely learning to use the" saws". Of course you won't be as fast as people who have been there for years,yet. Also .....just an FYI... even the customers who get upset and say they will never come back.......they always do. If I remember correctly deli workers start out with a little higher pay( my son started in the deli) so you might not want to switch over to another department until you have been there at least 90 days and get the first raise.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I've never worked in Publix, but I've shopped there quite a bit, LOL ( stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night, LOL). Did they provide you with any training when you started working in the deli? Seems to me this would be essential, is it possible you just didn't get enough of being shown the ropes, and a couple more days of this training would make things easier and maybe that would make you like it better. If you decide that you really want to work in another department or doing another job there, you could mention it to your manager, but you'd have to wait till there is a vacancy.
thanks buddy i guess your right i just am not liking it as of right now.
yea they are training me but its quick and fast pace, and in the deli theres a lot to know.. which sucks

Old 11-05-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
You are still learning. Of course things are going to feel difficult and new and confusing. They expect you to make mistakes at first while you are still learning. I would find an employee you work with you can trust who can help you to learn. Give it a little more time. That is what your manager wants you to do or they may consider you a quitter.
its very difficult, the deli is a lot to know and there so much we need to remember and the things that people want is crazy.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
You probably just need to get used to it. Ask questions and don't feel dumb asking them. It is the only way you will learn the trade. Just do your best. Right now concentrate on getting the order right, smile, give good customer service, follow the safety and food safety rules, and work at the speed you can work at safely learning to use the" saws". Of course you won't be as fast as people who have been there for years,yet. Also .....just an FYI... even the customers who get upset and say they will never come back.......they always do. If I remember correctly deli workers start out with a little higher pay( my son started in the deli) so you might not want to switch over to another department until you have been there at least 90 days and get the first raise.
thanks, i know thats what i need to do for sure. its just a lot to know and the customers are little rude if you don't make there sandwiches right plus theres times when i forget something and i just hate having to ask for help and always stuff passing my mind that i have to repeatedly have to ask about switch i seem to keep forgetting every few mins, i hate that about myself that i can't even gasp things fast.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:38 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
This is good advise.

I worked in several departments and the deli is NOT easy.

If you're not used to handling food, it makes it a little tougher. And it doesn't help that Publix you have to make the sandwiches etc. It's also hard if you don't know ABOUT the food. Low sodium, lowER sodium, ha ha.

I would suggest you just ask your manager how they think you're doing, tell them it's really important to you that you're picking things up as expected, yada yada and have a positive attitude. If you need additional training to understand something ASK don't just be in a daze or repeating mistakes. All employers appreciate employees with good attitudes who want to do well.

Good luck!

P.S. USE A CLEAN KNIFE ON THOSE SANDWICHES! I am one of those customers! LOL I cannot STAND it when they use a DIRTY BOARD and some knife with the remnants of onion or mayo or whatever on it.

And when I ask "Can you use a clean knife please?" and get an attitude, I LEAVE and tell the store manager. It's PERVASIVE! The employees who are nice about it get a huge thank you , though.

Jeeze all I'm asking is to not have my hoagie taste like raw onion; is that too much? Just try and be super nice and accommodating. The customers will appreciate it and Publix seems to have that corporate message, too.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:06 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Great advice. Find a helpful co worker for guidance. Once you get accustomed to the routines of cleaning the work area, proper foods handling techniques, how to deal with customers the rest is easy. Make sure you understand the proper procedures and follow them. Also learn the company rules and follow those too.

When the time comes for a department transfer put in for it. Explain to the manager that you like working your position but would like to expand your knowledge of working in other sections.

Good luck.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:10 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
More great advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
This is good advise.

I worked in several departments and the deli is NOT easy.

If you're not used to handling food, it makes it a little tougher. And it doesn't help that Publix you have to make the sandwiches etc. It's also hard if you don't know ABOUT the food. Low sodium, lowER sodium, ha ha.

I would suggest you just ask your manager how they think you're doing, tell them it's really important to you that you're picking things up as expected, yada yada and have a positive attitude. If you need additional training to understand something ASK don't just be in a daze or repeating mistakes. All employers appreciate employees with good attitudes who want to do well.

Good luck!

P.S. USE A CLEAN KNIFE ON THOSE SANDWICHES! I am one of those customers! LOL I cannot STAND it when they use a DIRTY BOARD and some knife with the remnants of onion or mayo or whatever on it.

And when I ask "Can you use a clean knife please?" and get an attitude, I LEAVE and tell the store manager. It's PERVASIVE! The employees who are nice about it get a huge thank you , though.

Jeeze all I'm asking is to not have my hoagie taste like raw onion; is that too much? Just try and be super nice and accommodating. The customers will appreciate it and Publix seems to have that corporate message, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida