Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2014, 10:34 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'm a Florida Atlantic University class of 2010 graduate... I've moved 10 times in my life and have found wonderful people in every city. I strongly believe those who lived somewhere and say all the people are crap, are just crap themselves and who wants to be friends with a pile of crap? I met many wonderful people while living in Boca Raton. People need to understand if you are proactively friendly, the vast majority of people will replicate your behavior. If you are a judgmental prick like 8to32characters, than the vast majority of people will be judgmental pricks to you as well.

Just like this... look at your attitude and now look how I am responding to you.
Why did you leave and move around so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 10:34 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
People from the northeast were raised in a fast paced screw the other guy environment. Ive seen people bowl over old ladies to get a seat on the subway, step over people who have fallen due to icy sidewalks or suffered a medical problem. If a thug was beating someone down 5 feet from them they would more away a few feet more to prevent being involved in any way. Stuffing millions of people into small spaces deteriorates them.

Some of them can't put that behind them when they relocate to places where life is kinder. Stuffing millions of people into small spaces deteriorates them.

And what happens when all these ppl move to FL? They (as you say) cant put it behind them, so why is it any surprise that FL is now the same way?

Old 11-22-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
You know what your talking about...I'll give you that.

One thing you see in Boca is a high level of pretentious people, there is money there often a lot of Jewish wealth and some of my clients are such...and their kids are spoiled, very spoiled and do not have to work for anything. If they cannot afford St. Andrews, they then go to a public school like Spanish River and anyone who lives in or around Boca and drives by Spanish River HS when school is in session should just glance in the student parking lot for a reality check.

I know my cars and I know what things cost...not uncommon to see every luxury brand under the sun aside from the exotics, sitting in the student parking lot, and I'm not talking Grandma Cohen's cherry 1999 BMW 7 series with 10K miles on the odometer, nope brand new cars and often not base models. Aside from this you will see typical brand new cars of a lesser cost but cars typically a average or above average wage earner here who works a full-time job is driving around in. Basically these teenagers are driving nicer cars than what you will see the average full-time working stiff can afford and it's well known here. Sure many are leased, their parents can probably afford the $300 to $500+ month payments and $3 to 6K/year car insurance rates it cost for a teenager to drive a luxury car little alone a sub $25K Honda or Toyota.

Face it things have changed, when I was in high school you were lucky to have a car at all and often it was a hand me down or worn out high mileage 10+ year old vehicle, often even older than that.

Now ask yourself how someone who is entitled at such a young age will expect or act when they get out of college or grow up? The attitude they will have? Well that's the phenomenon you see in Boca and other parts of South Florida and you will see it in other wealthy areas elsewhere.

I said this before and it's still the case, I have some interns working under me and a few I brought on full-time, a couple stated to me they had a brand new Lexus in High School while living here, they also are not hurting for money because some are still living with their parents rent free in their mid 20's. All have the latest smartphones, go on trips all the time, nice clothes, gadgets, party every weekend and go out to lunch every day and spend $20 easily as I have witnessed this on a few times. There are a few who are a little more economical, drive older used cars so it's not 100% but this is Palm Beach Gardens, not Boca.

I just hired another intern a few months ago, he is a Senior at FAU, has a brand new car and only works a couple days a week. So I know what we are paying him is not covering the expenses and insurance which is insane here.

So it's easy to see many are riding on the coat-tails of their parents, and that their parents have not stopped the cash flow to fund the lifestyle. I know in reality if many were cut-off it would change big time, especially if those who were living with their parents had to go out and find an apartment and pay for it themselves...

Its just the culture and the superficiality of the area. Its not that there are a large supply of well paying jobs with $100k incomes. Probably in debt up to their eyeballs. But want to look the part. Its sad really. My wife and I - and I'm just saying this to illustrate a point, but I can almost guarantee make more than most of them, and we dont have that stuff. Gotta be in debt I bet.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:17 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Contrary to other posters' experiences, I actually found people in the Miami area slightly friendlier and more palatable-- at least from a standpoint of pretentiousness -- than people in Boca. I think that may be due to the fact that there are more native and long-time Floridians in Miami than Boca, which is less established and more shallow-rooted -- not to mention much more nouveau riche -- by comparison. YMMV.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:10 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Why did you leave and move around so much?
My family owned various businesses in different parts of Alaska throughout my life. Each time they sold one they would retire and we would move. Eventually, they would get bored of not working, so we would go into business again somewhere in Alaska and this process repeated twice, well actually three times, but by the third time I was already living on my own, so I didn't go with them. Some of the places we moved to was Seattle, Australia and Orlando. We have family in Seattle and thought it would be a nice transition from Alaska to the Pacific Northwest. We were getting tired of the gloomy weather in Seattle, so we were thinking about moving again. Orlando was a city on our list because we used to live in Daytona Beach and always found the people in Orlando to be friendly and the thought of warm weather sounded appealing after Seattle. However, my parents were also considering moving to another country, so we spent two months traveling around Australia and New Zealand and ended up choosing the Gold Coast of Australia. We moved there on a four year business visa. I was in high school during this time. We loved Australia very much, but long term, I wanted to live in America eventually and my parents didn't want to live a 14-20 hour flight away, so they said we should move back to America, so we don't have to pay international tuition rates. We ended up moving to Orlando. Once I graduated high school, I went to college out of state and then eventually transferred a couple years later to Florida Atlantic University considering I was still a Florida resident. Essentially, I've moved every 2-3 years since I was 12 years old for one reason or another. They've been good experiences though. I've always found good and bad in every place and it's made me become very open to all types of people, personalities, cultures etc. I'm sorry about the run on paragraph, but I just woke up and don't have the patience right now to structure it lol.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:40 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Its not like there are any natives there, so...

Its just a really uppity/snobby place, and really for no reason. Ppl there are rude, obnoxious and superficial. I know a travel RN that has been to just about every state and she'll tell you being in Boca Raton for a 16 week RN gig was the worst!
I find it interesting that the people who have the traits you describe all wind up in one place. Like they have a newsletter or something that tells them to go there. Hahaha.

I am glad they are all in one place. They can enjoy their lives trying to one-up the others.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:56 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that the people who have the traits you describe all wind up in one place. Like they have a newsletter or something that tells them to go there. Hahaha.

I am glad they are all in one place. They can enjoy their lives trying to one-up the others.
As someone who has lived there I can say people for the most part are friendly, at least to me, but I'm a proactively friendly person. This isn't coming from my friend's friend's sister in law who had a brother that once lived there, it's coming from my personal experience living there for multiple years lol. The schools are great, the crime is low, the city is beautiful, the streets are spotless clean and I find it one of the best cities in Florida.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:39 PM

741 posts, read 914,392 times
Quote:
They have something in common and quite literally do have newsletters.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Its not just Boca, but a lot of S Florida. And I never really understood why ppl feel this way who live there, lol. Most ppl that lived there for a long time have left, so its not like its this wonderful place, with 100k jobs etc etc etc. So I never really understood why the need to feel uppity/snobby. I'd be planning my escape instead LOL.

And I'm sure there are other areas where ppl act this way too, I'm just not familiar (ex: Southern CA).

PS- Its not that they all end up in one place, but its very obvious many are attracted to certain areas.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:02 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
As someone who has lived there I can say people for the most part are friendly, at least to me, but I'm a proactively friendly person. This isn't coming from my friend's friend's sister in law who had a brother that once lived there, it's coming from my personal experience living there for multiple years lol. The schools are great, the crime is low, the city is beautiful, the streets are spotless clean and I find it one of the best cities in Florida.
Even though you have lived in many different places, I can sense your appreciation for Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida