Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 08:48 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I can tell you've never lived in a day either.

Do us a favor and turn off your TV, please.
Your posts are always some of my favorites

Honestly, I've been talking for the past few years to people living in both states.

Without a doubt, Californians are happier with where they live.....

I was just talking to someone who's son used to live in Florida-

Initially he was super excited to be there, lol

But then the reality hit him....
One of his biggest complaints was that there is no culture in Florida.
He's not the only one to tell me this either-
That it's filled with transients, & has zero culture....
No neighborhoods, no hometown vibes, no depth....

But Californians--
Omg they love where they're at, lol
Beautiful weather, stunning scenery, so much to do....
And, educated people.....

Sometimes it gets to be annoying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 11:22 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
So the weather is a crapshoot. It still doesn't make the poster ignorant or a troll. Any given year the outcome could be different.

I hate to repeat the Florida cheerleader mantra of "this could happen anywhere", but it does. My home state is very poor in rural areas, but go to most urban areas and it's a different story. Florida is very unequal as well compared to many areas around the country. I even started a thread about this.
Sure it does. He posted it as an indisputable fact.

Fl may be more unequal than certain rural states but it has nothing on N.Y.or cali

Old 05-05-2015, 11:34 PM

242 posts, read 346,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post

Honestly, I've been talking for the past few years to people living in both states.

But Californians--

Oh yes I agree 100%. FLORIDA IS HORRIBLE !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2015, 11:37 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post
Oh yes I agree 100%. FLORIDA IS HORRIBLE !!!!!!!!!!!
So why are you still here?

Old 05-06-2015, 12:38 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
So why are you still here?
Because moving isn't nearly as simple at 43 as it is at 23, my dear.

When you're young, rootless, and without any major responsibilities or financial obligations, it's easy to pick up and move to a new place.

However, when you're in your 30's, 40's, or 50's and working full-time with a family, a mortgaged home, and/or other significant debt, it's a lot easier said than done, despite how unhappy you may be wherever you're at.

If you have a family to support such a spouse and children, you can't just move anywhere on a whim without a job lined up. And unless you're at the executive or director-level or have a very rare specialization or trade, it's quite difficult to secure employment in a different city or state, generally speaking.

For most companies, it's just not advantageous or worth their while to hire a candidate from a different state, perhaps across the country, when they have plenty of local talent from which to source.

Even if a small or medium-sized company was to interview and, perhaps, hire a candidate from out-of-state, the travel expenses of interviewing, relocating the employee and their family, etc. are often absorbed by the candidate themselves. Some large companies cover travel expenses, especially now more so than during the economic downturn, but still, it's the exception, not the norm. Relocation packages that include interview travel reimbursements, familiarization trips, signing bonuses, etc. are often limited to executive and director-level positions in most industries.

For someone with a family to support, a mortgage, and other debt, the sheer expense of interviewing for out-of-state positions alone can be prohibitive, never mind the costs associated with relocating.

So what happens if you're living in Florida and get the job in California, but you can't sell your home in Florida? Well, then you're going to have to move to California, rent an apartment, and leave your wife and perhaps your kids behind to renovate and sell the house in Florida as well as pack up and move all your belongings. Boy, can that strain a marriage!

Now you're living in a more expensive location, so after your wife sells the house in Florida and officially moves out to California, she'll need to go to work to afford an equivalent lifestyle to which you had grown accustomed in Florida.

Thing is, she's been out of the workforce for 10-15 years raising your children, so she's applying to jobs all over to avail, but not getting any calls. After becoming discouraged by so few callbacks, she turns to a temp agency who sets her up with various office gigs making $12-$15/hour. Not much, but at least it's something. However, it's still not "enough."

Enough about your wife, what about your kids? Well, it's real hard to uproot school-aged children. Aside from a divorce or death in the immediate family, there are few things that are more traumatizing to school-aged children than being taken away from their friends. Your kids might grow stubborn over the move, which could cause depression and adjustment-related issues at school such as poor performance, decreased socialization, etc. Unless kids move around every few years throughout their formative years such as those in military families, most will be apprehensive to move away from their friends and extended families. Do you really wanna deal with that, too, on top of everything else?

I could go on and on, but you get the picture.

Just know, kid, it ain't easy. My best advice for you is to find "your place" while you're still young, unattached, and relatively carefree. It just gets increasingly harder as you get older to uproot your entire existence and move.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:57 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post

But Californians--

What kind of "culture" was he looking for? And where did he live?

I know people who went out to SoCal to find fame and fortune but either had to live in a crappy place in Torrance or Redondo or needed to commute to/from Pomona or Ontario.

I have a good friend that lives in Temecula but that's nowhere near the beach and summers are well over 100 degrees.

You also can't generally compare NoCal to SoCal. Your argument about "filled with transients" applies very much to the LA area as many people are out-of-towners.

Realistically you can't compare any whole state to any other state.

If you're a tech worker then Silicon Valley is the place to be, but you need to be a really good earner because a shoebox house will cost > $1M. Anything less gets 10 cash offers the same day it's on the market.

If you're in the entertainment industry LA is the place to be, but so are hundreds of thousands of others aspiring to "get famous".

This is no different than saying if you're in finance/banking you need to be in Manhattan.

Perhaps the thing lacking in Florida is that there is nothing that Florida is known for anymore, except for Disney, oranges and retirees.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:11 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:

When you're young, rootless, and without any major responsibilities or financial obligations, it's easy to pick up and move to a new place.

However, when you're in your 30's, 40's, or 50's and working full-time with a family, a mortgaged home, and/or other significant debt, it's a lot easier said than done, despite how unhappy you may be wherever you're at.

If you have a family to support such a spouse and children, you can't just move anywhere on a whim without a job lined up. And unless you're at the executive or director-level or have a very rare specialization or trade, it's quite difficult to secure employment in a different city or state, generally speaking.

For most companies, it's just not advantageous or worth their while to hire a candidate from a different state, perhaps across the country, when they have plenty of local talent from which to source.

Even if a small or medium-sized company was to interview and, perhaps, hire a candidate from out-of-state, the travel expenses of interviewing, relocating the employee and their family, etc. are often absorbed by the candidate themselves. Some large companies cover travel expenses, especially now more so than during the economic downturn, but still, it's the exception, not the norm. Relocation packages that include interview travel reimbursements, familiarization trips, signing bonuses, etc. are often limited to executive and director-level positions in most industries.

For someone with a family to support, a mortgage, and other debt, the sheer expense of interviewing for out-of-state positions alone can be prohibitive, never mind the costs associated with relocating.

So what happens if you're living in Florida and get the job in California, but you can't sell your home in Florida? Well, then you're going to have to move to California, rent an apartment, and leave your wife and perhaps your kids behind to renovate and sell the house in Florida as well as pack up and move all your belongings. Boy, can that strain a marriage!

Now you're living in a more expensive location, so after your wife sells the house in Florida and officially moves out to California, she'll need to go to work to afford an equivalent lifestyle to which you had grown accustomed in Florida.

Thing is, she's been out of the workforce for 10-15 years raising your children, so she's applying to jobs all over to avail, but not getting any calls. After becoming discouraged by so few callbacks, she turns to a temp agency who sets her up with various office gigs making $12-$15/hour. Not much, but at least it's something. However, it's still not "enough."

Enough about your wife, what about your kids? Well, it's real hard to uproot school-aged children. Aside from a divorce or death in the immediate family, there are few things that are more traumatizing to school-aged children than being taken away from their friends. Your kids might grow stubborn over the move, which could cause depression and adjustment-related issues at school such as poor performance, decreased socialization, etc. Unless kids move around every few years throughout their formative years such as those in military families, most will be apprehensive to move away from their friends and extended families. Do you really wanna deal with that, too, on top of everything else?

Just know, kid, it ain't easy. My best advice for you is to find "your place" while you're still young, unattached, and relatively carefree. It just gets increasingly harder as you get older to uproot your entire existence and move.

Wait... aren't you the person who lived in Boca Raton like 15 years ago?

Why do you think you still have a finger on the pulse of what life in Florida is like in general, or in any area in particular?

You've already been called out in the Palm Beach County forum for having opinions about areas and attractions which are demonstrably a decade+ out of date. Hell, the changes in the past 5-10 years alone are remarkable.

I used to live in Tallahassee for grad school. When there, I posted frequently on what life is like there. However, I haven't lived there in 8 years now so my opinions would be worth a grain of salt. Therefore, I no longer post there.

BTW, a couple of years back we were contemplating a lateral move for a job to California (Stanford area)... it was for a position with a national company with locations in every state. The pay was higher but the differential was a complete wash after factoring in taxes and cost of living between Palm Beach and the Bay area.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
What kind of "culture" was he looking for? And where did he live?

I know people who went out to SoCal to find fame and fortune but either had to live in a crappy place in Torrance or Redondo or needed to commute to/from Pomona or Ontario.

I have a good friend that lives in Temecula but that's nowhere near the beach and summers are well over 100 degrees.

You also can't generally compare NoCal to SoCal. Your argument about "filled with transients" applies very much to the LA area as many people are out-of-towners.

Realistically you can't compare any whole state to any other state.

If you're a tech worker then Silicon Valley is the place to be, but you need to be a really good earner because a shoebox house will cost > $1M. Anything less gets 10 cash offers the same day it's on the market.

If you're in the entertainment industry LA is the place to be, but so are hundreds of thousands of others aspiring to "get famous".

This is no different than saying if you're in finance/banking you need to be in Manhattan.

Perhaps the thing lacking in Florida is that there is nothing that Florida is known for anymore, except for Disney, oranges and retirees.
1,000 reps to you. People are really really ignorant when they paintbrush an ENTIRE STATE. The only happy Californians are the ones living near the coast making beaucoup bux. Some of the ugliest places (and backwards) I have ever seen were in California (Bakersfield!) And plenty of transients and homeless in San Francisco. I saw bums begging for money in Santa Barbara when I was there, too....

One thing that annoys me NO END is the "no culture" thing in Florida. There is plenty here, and if people don't see it, they aren't looking. Frankly, the ones that complain the loudest are the most undeducated and uncultured, IMO, and wouldn't know it if it smacked them in the face!

Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:

Well that was quite the rant. I agree with what you said, but I was more referring to how someone has nothing but negative to say about a place and does nothing to change their location. Nobody is that limited.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:33 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
For those that think California is some utopia, get off your butts and move. I currently live there and have previously lived in various parts of Florida and I can say the grass isn't exactly greener. If you aren't succeeding in Florida, I'm doubtful you will make it in California unless you have 4 room mates in a crappy old apartment with no amenities. I make a bit over $100k here and it's really not much. I'm moving back to Florida. Most of the cities are much more polluted, congested and a thousand times more expensive than in Florida. There are some really amazing things in California, but to think it's some utopia compared to Florida is... yeah, you'll be in for a wake up call when you move lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida