Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 08:39 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
For those that think California is some utopia, get off your butts and move. I currently live there and have previously lived in various parts of Florida and I can say the grass isn't exactly greener. If you aren't succeeding in Florida, I'm doubtful you will make it in California unless you have 4 room mates in a crappy old apartment with no amenities. I make a bit over $100k here and it's really not much. I'm moving back to Florida. Most of the cities are much more polluted, congested and a thousand times more expensive than in Florida. There are some really amazing things in California, but to think it's some utopia compared to Florida is... yeah, you'll be in for a wake up call when you move lol.
Completely agree. At the end of the day, I prefer Florida for the value that you get. Believe it or not, I have had the same lifestyle in both states. And if you go on the California forums, there are plenty of people that moved to Florida and love it for the ratio of what you pay vs. what you get. I like California, but in many cases it's just not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 08:46 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
For those that think California is some utopia, get off your butts and move. I currently live there and have previously lived in various parts of Florida and I can say the grass isn't exactly greener. If you aren't succeeding in Florida, I'm doubtful you will make it in California unless you have 4 room mates in a crappy old apartment with no amenities. I make a bit over $100k here and it's really not much. I'm moving back to Florida. Most of the cities are much more polluted, congested and a thousand times more expensive than in Florida. There are some really amazing things in California, but to think it's some utopia compared to Florida is... yeah, you'll be in for a wake up call when you move lol.
California is too expensive and the taxes are too high but for a super rich guy or an exec where pay doesn't matter much I rather live in California over Florida. Florida has its advantages over California mostly in the cost of living department... its much much cheaper to be own house or a fancy condo. If I had the money I would rather live in California if I didn't Florida its more cost effective but I hate hot and humid weather as it is in TN.. and FL summers and falls would be much worse, I like the 4 seasons as well so I would never live in Florida, TN and GA it least you have a winter and a nice fall and spring.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:10 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
^^^^ I agree....I can't do extreme heat & humidity....
It's disgusting.

Where I'm at, today it was 69 degrees.....
Perfect

I need a place that's about this temp all year round, lol

Old 05-06-2015, 08:23 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
It's disgusting.

Perfect

You'd love San Francisco lol. It's in the 60's pretty much 90% of the year. I love hot/humid weather, maybe because a big part of my childhood was in Alaska and I always craved the exact opposite (weather-wise).

Old 05-06-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
California is too expensive and the taxes are too high but for a super rich guy or an exec where pay doesn't matter much I rather live in California over Florida. Florida has its advantages over California mostly in the cost of living department... its much much cheaper to be own house or a fancy condo. If I had the money I would rather live in California if I didn't Florida its more cost effective but I hate hot and humid weather as it is in TN.. and FL summers and falls would be much worse, I like the 4 seasons as well so I would never live in Florida, TN and GA it least you have a winter and a nice fall and spring.
Yeah, if I had $100 million in the bank... I would be drawn to either La Jolla or Sausalito. However, owning a home on Star Island in Miami would be pretty sweet too lol. I spent a decent time in Alaska and Washington. I'm not a big fan of four seasons because spring is generally a dirty mess of slush and Fall is nice in the beginning, but then everything turns brown before the snow finally stays on the ground.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Completely agree. At the end of the day, I prefer Florida for the value that you get. Believe it or not, I have had the same lifestyle in both states. And if you go on the California forums, there are plenty of people that moved to Florida and love it for the ratio of what you pay vs. what you get. I like California, but in many cases it's just not worth it.
Yeah, it's tough to beat the value in Florida. You have access to world class beaches and attractions, yet owning a home with a pool is very doable.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:57 PM

242 posts, read 346,161 times
Quote:
I can't do extreme heat & humidity.... It's disgusting.
Bon Voyage !!!!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
It's disgusting.

Perfect

San Diego too bad the cost of living is ridiculous its like 2200 for one bedroom apartment in any nice area, I like with you on that type of temps.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's tough to beat the value in Florida. You have access to world class beaches and attractions, yet owning a home with a pool is very doable.
Funny thing is as rich as pro athletes are they still live in Florida to save millions on the no state income tax.. nobody wants to be over taxed even some of the black and hispanic athletes in NFL and MLB who said they voted for Obama and they claim to be so liberal lol

Old 05-06-2015, 11:48 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Given the sheer size of California's population, there are very few Californians living in Florida, which isn't even on the radar of most Californians for a number of reasons.

Generally speaking, Californians *HATE* humidity, bugs and flat, nondescript topography, all of which are found in abundance in Florida, so they tend to dismiss Florida right off the bat for those reasons alone.

Because most Californians have never traveled or spent a considerable amount of time Florida (Californians don't grow up taking annual trips to Disney World or spring break trips in college to Ft. Lauderdale, Daytona, Panama City, etc.), they tend to fall hook-line-and-sinker for the media stereotypes of Florida, including blue-haired retirement communities, Colombian drug cartels, pedophiles and other deviants, and so on. That's not to mention that most Californians think of Florida as being super far away to begin with.

Also, Californians aren't too keen on living in the South, even if much of Florida is nothing at all like the rest of the South. They tend to get overwhelmed with the "angry conservative" rhetoric and ideals, Evangelical dogma, and the general complacency, sluggishness, small-mindedness and conformity that are all quite pervasive in the South and quite foreign to your average Californian. The lack of health-consciousness and interest in progressive ideals such as organics, the "green" movement, same-sex marriage, caps on land development, etc. would again be a huge adjustment for someone from California.

Oh, yeah--no liberal marijuana laws in Florida, either.

Most of the "Californians" I met in South Florida were Jewish and originally from New York who had moved to Florida to care for elderly parents or into a home left to them by a deceased parent/relative. Other than that, I recall meeting very, very few Californians while living in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida