Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:38 AM

9 posts, read 9,328 times

Advertisements

[quote=bale002;37285506]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

You missed the point.
And he misused the word analogous....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 08:49 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,170 times
Wow! What a great discussion. Lots of good information and varying opinions. 8to32characters really painted a great picture of California...until I read the dissenting arguments that brought up valid concerns.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:08 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Wow! What a great discussion. Lots of good information and varying opinions. 8to32characters really painted a great picture of California...until I read the dissenting arguments that brought up valid concerns.
Yes, that poster lost credibility when he "mentioned" tolerance and the like. More like forced it down the reader's throat.

Personally I would prefer California if I were at the very top of the wealth pyramid or towards the bottom fifth of the income pyramid.

As it stands, I am glad that I live in a united country with 50 different semi-sovereign states that vary significantly in terms of geography, history, climate, economy and economic contribution, and tax rules, among other important variables.

Within certain parameters, we can choose. Now that's tolerance.

I too will stick with Florida, thank you very much.

And even if coastal Florida were to be at risk of flooding, my first priority would be somewhere inland Florida before considering somewhere else.

But you, OP, have to prioritize and put value on your own set of criteria, then make your calculations.

All the best!

Old 11-17-2014, 09:48 AM

438 posts, read 653,325 times
California is more fun. It has unmatched topographical diversity. Many parts of it are stunningly beautiful. The weather is better. The people are more laid back, more educated, friendlier. I was never a fan of the big cities when I used to live there. I loved the suburbian areas and the smaller desert and mountain towns. The strange priorities of the state and municipal governments, the extremely large number of illegals, high taxes, water shortages, and the very high cost of everything... all make it a very challenging place to live. As much as I love it I don't think I'd move back there.

Florida has its own beauty and charm, though it doesn't really compare. The two states are as different fom each other as night is from day. I am still in Florida because there are still a few things about it that I like.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:36 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
California is more fun. It has unmatched topographical diversity. Many parts of it are stunningly beautiful. The weather is better. The people are more laid back, more educated, friendlier. I was never a fan of the big cities when I used to live there. I loved the suburbian areas and the smaller desert and mountain towns. The strange priorities of the state and municipal governments, the extremely large number of illegals, high taxes, water shortages, and the very high cost of everything... all make it a very challenging place to live. As much as I love it I don't think I'd move back there.

Florida has its own beauty and charm, though it doesn't really compare. The two states are as different fom each other as night is from day. I am still in Florida because there are still a few things about it that I like.
You can't compare a state that has mountains to one that doesn't, just like you can't compare one that has the only living coral reef in the continental US to one with temperate waters. Better comparison would be CA with OR or WA, for mountains, and FL to HI for underwater beauty or tropical biodiversity. Btw, 10000 years ago FL was underwater. You shouldn't expect it to have similar topographical diversity as in CA. People use different parameters to judge every place.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:48 AM

15 posts, read 18,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Here's a brain bleach reality cleansing for you:

California's Economic Collision Course: Immigration and Water

Fish over people pretty much says it all.
Moving from CA to FL next month. CAN'T WAIT! By way of research/info I've read a TON of posts on this forum. I thought there was one post by runswithscissors somewhere that I disagreed with but I can't find it for the life of me

I can't add much here as all the posts favoring FL over CA are pretty much spot on.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:08 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,131 times
OP, what is it you do for work?

Old 11-17-2014, 12:43 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I honestly didn't read his post and just skimmed a couple posts, but it sounded like there was a discussion about tolerance.

Having lived in both states, I definitely feel California in general is A LOT more welcoming towards homosexuals, minorities, transgenders and to the unique/weird. I'd also say people in general are more educated and open about other cultures, cuisines and countries.

I'm moving back to Florida in 2016, so hopefully nobody thinks I'm bashing Florida. Obviously I love Florida, which is why I'm moving back, but I'm an unbiased person. I've moved 10 times in my life, so I don't get offended when someone gives an honest critique of any place I've lived.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
OP, what is it you do for work?
I teach performing arts at a local college.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grump View Post
Moving from CA to FL next month. CAN'T WAIT! By way of research/info I've read a TON of posts on this forum. I thought there was one post by runswithscissors somewhere that I disagreed with but I can't find it for the life of me

I can't add much here as all the posts favoring FL over CA are pretty much spot on.
I actually thought posters would favor CA by a landslide, but so far that is not the case. If you don't mind me asking, how long have you lived in CA and why are you moving to FL? I am attracted to CA for its weather, diversity/openness and opportunities, but the COL is what slows me down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida