Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 08:08 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times

Advertisements

^^

excellent point

There is a area in Queens that has been gutted because of this whole fiasco. I think a lot of places will end up looking messed up when the dust settles.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:20 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,489 times
Alot of things to think about. Business has been good for commercial properties because “Florida is on sale,” But who is buying ? Let's see how this plays out.

Recovery is in sight, says realty broker | news-press.com | The News-Press (http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080227/RE/80226071/1014/BUSINESS - broken link)

Old 02-27-2008, 01:46 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Bernanke has a great nack for staking the obvious

Last edited by sunrico90; 02-27-2008 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: lin not allowed

Old 02-27-2008, 02:21 PM

8 posts, read 6,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Alot of things to think about. Business has been good for commercial properties because “Florida is on sale,” But who is buying ? Let's see how this plays out.

Recovery is in sight, says realty broker | news-press.com | The News-Press (broken link)
That story is hilarious. The realtor says it is a recovery...but there is a huge back log of houses...and lower the price so you aren't catching a slinky going down the stairs. Wow, that is some recovery! The funniest part is when he says it is affordable because 1500 square ft. houses are $225,000. Ha, the norm in Sarasota is $80-100 square foot. Call me when those prices on 1500 square footers get to $120,000-150,000, depending on location and condition. Realtors are getting excited because some lulus are buying overpriced foreclosure properties due to all the press. It is simply a little blip that is normal in housing crashes. Sarasota and south west FL has a long, long, long way to fall.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Ten

163 posts, read 334,680 times
Once again, there won't be soft landings, turnarounds, glimmers of hope, or lights at the ends of tunnels until correction has occurred. "Hope" is a fallacy when that hope is for the failed 2005 bubble market to be succeeded by more artificially high prices going into the next decade.

The problem isn't homes, it's financial markets underpinned by fiat currency and the Fed. The problem is that paper is not money, a problem solved by the globe by doing to the dollar what it did to the pound sterling 100 years ago, which is to simply stop using it as a standard of trade. Now we're living those times, folks.

What's a major correction look like? Beats me, but I bet it includes stuff like this:

FDIC to Add Staff As Bank Failures Loom.

This is what it says it is, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation is anticipating having to cover bank failures. In the US.
[indent]"Regulators are bracing for well over 100 bank failures in the next 12 to 24 months, with concentrations in Rust Belt states like Michigan and Ohio, and the states that are suffering severe housing-market problems like California, Florida, and Georgia," said Jaret Seiberg, Washington policy analyst for financial-services firm Stanford Group.

Last edited by sunrico90; 02-28-2008 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Edited copyrighted material

Old 02-27-2008, 02:32 PM

8 posts, read 6,459 times
[quote=Ten;2965528]Once again, there won't be soft landings, turnarounds, glimmers of hope, or lights at the ends of tunnels until correction has occurred. "Hope" is a fallacy when that hope is for the failed 2005 bubble market to be succeeded by more artificially high prices going into the next decade.

The problem isn't homes, it's financial markets underpinned by fiat currency and the Fed. The problem is that paper is not money, a problem solved by the globe by doing to the dollar what it did to the pound sterling 100 years ago, which is to simply stop using it as a standard of trade. Now we're living those times, folks.

What's a major correction look like? Beats me, but I bet it includes stuff like this:

FDIC to Add Staff As Bank Failures Loom. (broken link)

This is what it says it is, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation is anticipating having to cover bank failures. In the US.[indent]"Regulators are bracing for well over 100 bank failures in the next 12 to 24 months, with concentrations in Rust Belt states like Michigan and Ohio, and the states that are suffering severe housing-market problems like California, Florida, and Georgia," said Jaret Seiberg, Washington policy analyst for financial-services firm Stanford Group.

Exactly. The main stream media is still focusing on little things like some increased activity, people buying foreclosures, etc. Inflation is roaring, wages are flat, and the spending power of working people is dropping like a rock. People will have less money to spend for housing in a year, and in two years, and in 5 years. The long term downward trend is barely getting started.

Last edited by sunrico90; 02-28-2008 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Orphaned post

Old 02-27-2008, 02:41 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kap64fl View Post
Exactly. The main stream media is still focusing on little things like some increased activity, people buying foreclosures, etc. Inflation is roaring, wages are flat, and the spending power of working people is dropping like a rock. People will have less money to spend for housing in a year, and in two years, and in 5 years. The long term downward trend is barely getting started.
I just don't see it changing any time soon!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:43 AM

436 posts, read 1,357,444 times
Default For those of us who bought at the high end of the market

Just wondering how many have bought before this bubble started to burst? I love my new home and plan on living in it for the long haul (hate moving, never want to do it again, if it can be helped), but I did buy before the prices started to fall. How much of a mistake did I make? I didn't want to flip or just live there a few years and move on. If I plan to stay, did I still make a major boo boo? I would really like to hear honest opinions. I know some of you watched this market very closely and could predict what is happening, obviously, I was not one of those people!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,050,573 times
as long as you plan on staying and never planned on refinancing...why worry ? At least you have a roof over your head...are able to make the payments.....and are happy. That is the #1 thing.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:57 AM

374 posts, read 1,629,175 times
Try not to beat yourself up to much. Enjoy your home and best wishes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida