Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate Gov. Crist's first year
Excellent: He has exceeded my expectations 0 0%
Above average: Still much work to be done, but things are looking up. 8 28.57%
Fair/mediocre: Talks a good game, but the results have fallen short. 9 32.14%
Poor: Anybody but Charlie in 2010. 7 25.00%
Doesn't matter: Legislator/special interest groups run the state anyway. 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:37 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,303 times

Advertisements

Charlie Crist is completing his first year in office. How has he done? Has he made enough progress on hot-button issues such as insurance and property taxes?

Correction in the last poll option: Should be "Legislature/special interest groups run the state anyway."

Last edited by chisoxfan; 01-02-2008 at 11:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 03:33 AM

305 posts, read 805,530 times
Hasn't done much of anything personally....

Old 01-03-2008, 07:50 AM

497 posts, read 1,567,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
Hasn't done much of anything personally....
This is what's wrong with this country. A governor or any politician isn't supposed to do anything for you. The government is there to make it possible for you to do things for yourself. People think government should be in the business of handouts. The worst thing that happened to education in this country is when the government took it over. It's not the government's job to educate the kids, it's not the government's job to provide health care, it's not the government's job to bail you out of bad investments, It's the government's job to provide for the safety of it's citizens. A local government's primary job is to provide police and fire protection for the people, along with the upkeep of local roads. It's the state's job to take care of the matters of the state like state level police, upkeep of state roads and highways, as well as seeing to it that the state is able to handle safety and security issues at the state level. The federal government's job is to provide military protection.

Obviously this is over simplified and there are more responsibilities of the government at local, state, and federal levels other than what I have mentioned but the government shouldn't be in the business of giving people hand outs and government controlled health care. Government has screwed up everything it's gotten involved in...education is the shining example...and you want the government to run health care???

If we had less government hand outs and less government "doing things for me" then we wouldn't need the government because we would be able to keep our own money and live for ourselves. Another thing is the government shouldn't be in the business of retirement accounts too with the exception of the military. Speaking of which...some of the worst hospitals in the country are government run VA hospitals...and you want government running health care????

I don't want the governor or President or any politician "doing anything for me" I want them to get out of my way so I can keep the money I earn from my work instead of giving it away to lazy people who don't want to work and illegal aliens who don't belong here in the first place.

Yes, some people need help. But this isn't the government's job. This country was built on neighbors helping neighbors. If someone didn't have food their church or neighbors would make sure they didn't go hungry. The welfare state mentality is what leads to situations like hurricane Katrina. I don't blame FEMA or the governor for Hurricane Katrina. I blame the local and state government for creating a welfare state where people felt like they were so helpless that they couldn't take care of themselves unless the government came to rescue them.

They knew for days that a Cat 5 hurricane was coming to New Orleans and if they are going to wait until the water is up to the 2nd floor of their house and they are on the roofs waiting for FEMA then that's a problem with people relying too much on government. It's not FEMA's and President Bush's responsibility to get people to evacuate when a storm is coming. I mean most of you are from Florida...you all understand this more than anyone. I didn't hear or see stories of anyone in Florida blaming President Bush for the 5 hurricanes that hit Florida a few years ago. I didn't see anyone waiting for Bush to send the buses to evacuate. That's because most Floridians know what to do when a hurricane is coming and they don't wait until the winds are blowing 100MPH and their homes are filled with water.

I have lived in apartments that didn't have carbon monoxide detectors. I didn't wait for the government to pass laws requiring CO detectors in all apartments. I went out and spent the $20 and got my own CO detector.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:51 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
He does not fight the establishment. I would have liked to see him fight the current property tax structure, and point out the waste in government more.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:40 PM

497 posts, read 1,567,033 times
I wanted to add...my comments above aren't directed at 8.00 per hour directly but just the general attitude a lot of people have towards government's role in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida