Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 01:34 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,946,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Lol, as if $50k is "big money."
$50k is equivalent to $80k in San Francisco and even then, you would still need room mates.

You should thank God or Allah or whoever you believe in you live in a sheltered bubble lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 01:34 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
No, but in South Florida, it's still normal to hold a master's degree, be offered a call center-type position at a pay rate of $16/hr. with limited benefits, and then be made to feel as if you're being done a favor by your employer.

Please, don't make me vomit.
Depends on the master's degree- I imagine that would be one's experience anywhere if it's a Freux-Fluffeigh or Twendy but useless major.

I have an MS and didn't have that problem. I'm retired from full time work but still employed as a contractor for a whole lot more than $16/hr.

The bathroom is that-a-way------------>. Please try to hit the john.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:49 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,822 times
Why do you guys even get into serious discussions with this character? He's in his own world. He has to get his usual dose everyday or every so often so he can feel better. He probably wants to come back some day. I believe he said he wants to retire or get a 2nd home in FL.

BMW is right on that, $50K is $80K in much of CA (salaries go hand in hand with the COL). If you were running a business it wouldn't make sense to pay CA salaries in FL if the COL is considerably less. You'd go out of business after a while.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Why do you guys even get into serious discussions with this character? He's in his own world. He has to get his usual dose everyday or every so often so he can feel better. He probably wants to come back some day. I believe he said he wants to retire or get a 2nd home in FL.

BMW is right on that, $50K is $80K in much of CA (salaries go hand in hand with the COL). If you were running a business it wouldn't make sense to pay CA salaries in FL if the COL is considerably less. You'd go out of business after a while.
Well said!

Old 12-09-2014, 03:18 PM

434 posts, read 530,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Too many people think they can just major in whatever, have no related work experience or internships and land a high paying job with benefits. I have friends in Orlando working where their company is hiring, but they can't find qualified people to fill the positions.
That seems to be part of the issue for some.

Certain positions are definitely hard to fill. But it's typically a double edged sword. Many employers also want to underpay everyone, not just the no skill guys doing jobs most anyone can do... The job I quit this summer in preparation for the move out of state, still hasn't found someone suitable to replace me with. But that's also because they're basically looking for someone to do the work of 2-3 workers on a salaried schedule, with basically no vacations or sick days (ever), and do it for less than $50k a year.

That joke salary is simply ridiculous, based on the education, experience, zero tolerance for errors, and 24/7 dedication the job requires.

Not all workers are dumb. Some of us know when a job is overly demanding for one person to do, and pays s*** to put up with the BS.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAnc View Post
That seems to be part of the issue for some.

Certain positions are definitely hard to fill. But it's typically a double edged sword. Many employers also want to underpay everyone, not just the no skill guys doing jobs most anyone can do... The job I quit this summer in preparation for the move out of state, still hasn't found someone suitable to replace me with. But that's also because they're basically looking for someone to do the work of 2-3 workers on a salaried schedule, with basically no vacations or sick days (ever), and do it for less than $50k a year.

That joke salary is simply ridiculous, based on the education, experience, zero tolerance for errors, and 24/7 dedication the job requires.

Not all workers are dumb. Some of us know when a job is overly demanding for one person to do, and pays s*** to put up with the BS.
Of course not all employers are going to be fair, but it comes down to supply/demand. If it's important position they cannot afford to have it unfilled for a long period of time. My point is every place has its pros and cons. There is no paradise. Here in California, workers have a lot of rights, benefits are good and so is pay generally speaking. However, the cost of living outweighs the majority of the population. On top of that if you do land a good job, you will be taxed like crazy. If you make slightly over $50k, which is ver little here, you will have to pay all your normal taxes PLUS almost 10% in state income tax. People think the grass is always greener on the other side, but in reality people should be more positive about their situation if they are earning say $40k or higher in Florida.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:51 PM

734 posts, read 920,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post

It sounds to me like he secretly misses living in a state that doesn't price and tax people to death, so he belittles it to feel better about his situation.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:01 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
Quote:
Too many people think they can just major in whatever, have no related work experience or internships and land a high paying job with benefits. I have friends in Orlando working where their company is hiring, but they can't find qualified people to fill the positions.
Probably because they do not to pay a competitive wage or the candidates do not want to move to that part of Florida.

Companies in Florida tend to have weird hiring habits and ways of talent searching, often it put's a lot of people off, and I can speak for my firm in general which still lacks behind but not near as bad as a typical Florida employer.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Florida is the easiest state to get a job in heath care especially working with seniors, the hiring managers are pretty begging people to take jobs lol
Don't worry Obamacare will soon change that, already happening...that industry was living high on the hog for ages and it won't last forever at that rate.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Literally all my friends in South Florida make $50k or more and none of them have master's degrees. I guess if you slacked off during school, got no internships, no related work experience and majored in a trivial subject such as Art then yeah...
$50K gross in South Florida for a single wage earner after taxes is around $39K/year take home, that's around $1500.00 per paycheck figuring bi-weekly...figuring what a typical nice 1 bedroom goes for $1300/month+, in Boca could be $1500.00/month to start.

Apartment Floor Plans | Broadstone North Boca Village

Either way the rent to income ratio would be excessively high and a single wage earner would struggle unless they could find lower cost living arrangements, which probably means Craigslist specials and locations that are not terribly desirable. Keep in mind that there is a lot of competition for rent since many cannot afford to buy a home here and millennials in general are not buying houses and seem to have no interest in doing so at the moment.

The full-timers I bring on board in my firm start out of $60K fresh out of school, 22 years old on average, if they went to FAU (aka Find Another University local joke) or another Florida University, UF or UCF, I tend to offer less because I have had bad experiences with the quality of students coming out of schools in Florida with an exception UM which being Private tends to be more in line with my hiring requirements, but often I have no choice and need to appease HR and Corporate and local university and government relations, but I tend to bend these rules in favor of graduates from schools from the Northeast, never had one CV show up from anyone that is from CA or went to a school in CA. Have to admit though that it's hard to lure candidates from the Northeast here in my field, due to Financial Centers, most that do leave after a few years after the novelty wears off and head back up north for the $$, many are older and had their fill of the cold and lifestyle.

In relation my friend in the SF Bay Area told me he pay's an average of $125K for recent STEM grads if not higher, the current average in Silicon Valley salary for STEM is $195K, surely much of that is driven up by 2 bill plus people like my friend who are in management roles.

Silicon Valley

My friend e-mailed me this the other day:

Silicon Valley talent wars: Engineers, come get your $250K salary - CNET

None of the above is possible here and from what he said, nobody, nada, zilch...ever ask's him anything about Florida, the job market and opportunity or relocating out of the SF Bay Area, he is a VP of Engineering with one of the big players there. Turnover is only high due to poaching between companies and companies there do not frown upon job hopping like they do here where it's typically a red flag...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida