Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 04:35 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Florida is not known for Chinese food but it has a lot of Italian people so it doesn't have a lot of pizza points and bagels are big with Northeastern transplants so Florida has always had a lot of bagel shops. What are you talking about
You know exactly what I'm talking about. See posts 567 and 570.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 04:41 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Right, but apparently you have to be born in a certain place to know what good bagels are, what good pizza is, and what good Chinese food is. And "their" definition of good is really good, if you're not from this particular place, then you dont know what good is. Didn't you get the memo?

Its a matter of what you grew up with. Many people think Pizza Hut (or any of the other chains) is the bomb. Many people just love Einstein Bros Bagels Brothers bagels. Once you have a real bagel (boiled in water before baking) nothing else is like it. Regional tastes vary with Chinese food but once you've eaten in Chinatown, NYC, you know the difference between excellent and mediocre.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Its a matter of what you grew up with. Many people think Pizza Hut (or any of the other chains) is the bomb. Many people just love Einstein Bros Bagels Brothers bagels. Once you have a real bagel (boiled in water before baking) nothing else is like it. Regional tastes vary with Chinese food but once you've eaten in Chinatown, NYC, you know the difference between excellent and mediocre.

Ok, then how come ppl from NY always claim that their bagel/pizza/chinese food is the best? Best to who? Them.

It just gets super annoying when ppl from certain areas come to FL and claim everything is better in XYZ. I didn't see this in NC, and I see it in FL over and over and over again.

I'm kind of confused as to where I live anymore.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:47 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Ok, then how come ppl from NY always claim that their bagel/pizza/chinese food is the best? Best to who? Them.

It just gets super annoying when ppl from certain areas come to FL and claim everything is better in XYZ. I didn't see this in NC, and I see it in FL over and over and over again.

Time to get out of Florida! The population will still increase even if all of us natives were to leave.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Exactly. Best for them. Somebody from Iowa may say Pizza Hut is the best because that it what they grew up with.

However, the first pizzeria's were in NYC baked by Italians who brought it there. NYC pizza and Italian pizza are two different things though. You can get real Italian pizza in NYC, just in select neighborhoods. Bagels originated in Poland and those immigrants brought their country's food over here and it became very popular with Americans from all over the world. There are also things called "knish" which is seasoned mashed potatoes in a doughy jacket which is then fried. They are originally from Eastern Europe where they are consumed as snacks. There are many variations of a knish.

The Chinese from the Canton Province of China brought their dishes, opened restaurants and did very well. Most "Chinese" food here is made by people from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Vietnam, Laos and other Asian countries and all are different from true Cantonese cooking.

As you can see, a lot of NYC's foods come from other countries. NYC has always been a melting pot of
various peoples from all over the world and they all brought a taste of home with them and these foods
became very popular in NYC and we grew up with it all. We have a fountain drink called an "egg cream" though it has no eggs or cream in it. It was invented in Brooklyn as a cheap refreshing sweet drink. It is made with chocolate syrup, milk and seltzer water. The portions of each ingredient are very important in order to get it right. Very hard to find a place that makes an egg cream outside of NYC and in fact it is getting hard to find there.

Doesn't NC say their BBQ is the best?

Again, its a matter of what you grew up with.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Time to get out of Florida! The population will still increase even if all of us natives were to leave.

Not many of us natives left anyway. And honestly many I do know are kind of wanting to leave or are entertaining the idea of NC/SC, etc... But the droves of people moving here wont stop, so there will be a continued increase in population. I honestly dont see the big draw, I think if I weren't botn here, I dont think I'd choose necessarily to live here. But whatevs.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Exactly. Best for them. Somebody from Iowa may say Pizza Hut is the best because that it what they grew up with.

However, the first pizzeria's were in NYC baked by Italians who brought it there. NYC pizza and Italian pizza are two different things though. You can get real Italian pizza in NYC, just in select neighborhoods. Bagels originated in Poland and those immigrants brought their country's food over here and it became very popular with Americans from all over the world. There are also things called "knish" which is seasoned mashed potatoes in a doughy jacket which is then fried. They are originally from Eastern Europe where they are consumed as snacks. There are many variations of a knish.

The Chinese from the Canton Province of China brought their dishes, opened restaurants and did very well. Most "Chinese" food here is made by people from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Vietnam, Laos and other Asian countries and all are different from true Cantonese cooking.

As you can see, a lot of NYC's foods come from other countries. NYC has always been a melting pot of
various peoples from all over the world and they all brought a taste of home with them and these foods
became very popular in NYC and we grew up with it all. We have a fountain drink called an "egg cream" though it has no eggs or cream in it. It was invented in Brooklyn as a cheap refreshing sweet drink. It is made with chocolate syrup, milk and seltzer water. The portions of each ingredient are very important in order to get it right. Very hard to find a place that makes an egg cream outside of NYC and in fact it is getting hard to find there.

Doesn't NC say their BBQ is the best?

Again, its a matter of what you grew up with.

I get it. It's more "authentic" so to speak. Hey, I love NY style pizza as greasy and thin as it is, and I'm sure the bagels and Chinese food is better than what you'd get in Iowa, or Ocala FL, or Bristol TN. But I guess my point is I dont really hear the "its best in XYZ" in most other places except in FL when the same ppl are going on and on about how its all better in XYZ.

I'm not sure if NC claims to have the best BBQ. It does have really good BBQ, but I know some other areas have great BBQ too. See there, I cant say NC has the best BBQ, because I dont really know. But I wouldn't go to a BBQ restaurant and tell anyone that will listen that its better in NC than it is here in FL.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:47 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Florida is not known for Chinese food but it has a lot of Italian people so it doesn't have a lot of pizza points and bagels are big with Northeastern transplants so Florida has always had a lot of bagel shops. What are you talking about
Replace "Northeastern" with "New York City area," please. Ugh.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
I get it. It's more "authentic" so to speak. Hey, I love NY style pizza as greasy and thin as it is, and I'm sure the bagels and Chinese food is better than what you'd get in Iowa, or Ocala FL, or Bristol TN. But I guess my point is I dont really hear the "its best in XYZ" in most other places except in FL when the same ppl are going on and on about how its all better in XYZ.

I'm not sure if NC claims to have the best BBQ. It does have really good BBQ, but I know some other areas have great BBQ too. See there, I cant say NC has the best BBQ, because I dont really know. But I wouldn't go to a BBQ restaurant and tell anyone that will listen that its better in NC than it is here in FL.
Yes, of course it is more "authentic" because it is the unadulterated version. Its all made the same as it was 100 years ago.

I think the reason u hear a lot of "it was better in XYZ" is because they havent found a similar product here or anywhere else. They need to look harder because it is here. In Spring Hill (lots of NYC transplants here) we have excellent NY pizza, bagels and I can even get knishes in Publix made in Brooklyn. The rise of Boar's Head cold cuts here has been great. It's everywhere. It is a high quality product. Boar's Head was started in Brooklyn NY in 1905. They are now based in Sarasota.

It would be possible to find good foods in other states as well. It depends on the owners and those they have preparing the food. You will never find yellow fried rice in NYC or fried rice with diced carrots in it. You will find things not usually used elsewhere like egg, onion and scallions.

NYC pizza should not be greasy. If it is, you are getting "commercial pizza cheese" which isnt really cheese. Its a vegetable based concoction. A good pizzeria uses fresh mozzarella cheese, fresh dough and a homemade sauce. Even in NYC a lot of places use commercial cheese, sauce out of a can and frozen dough all which comes off a truck from a distributor. If you know what it should taste like you dont go to those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida