Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:15 AM

69 posts, read 313,187 times

Advertisements

All I know is that I am moving away from the cold. I'm sick of getting up in the morning to find a thick coat of ice all over my car that won't scrape off easily at all, and my car doors frozen shut, and slipping on ice causing me to fall all the way down my steep driveway(causing a contusion on my hip), and my car not starting once I have my dad come and pry my doors open, then by the time my heat actually kicks in I'm always to my destination and my hands are so frozen, even with gloves on, that they are beat red and I can't really move them. All I know is that I will not miss the dryness of winter causing my hands to get so dry they crack and bleed, and you can't breathe when it gets so cold and I have severe asthma and had to drive myself into urgent care one day to be put on a nebulizer but it took me forever because the streets were icy and I barely made it there. All I know is I look forward to the warm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 09:18 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
1. end of summer brings hurricane to the south, how many people are with out power, lose life, lose money from work etc.

2. How many accidents occur during the rainy season (again in the summer months)

3. How many people die of heat exhaustion each year

I am sure I am forgetting more things that occur during the summer months in America that cause lose of life, accidents and hardships. Again your being a bit elementary in your approach to this topic

I should mention I am from NYC and also lived on Long Island for a time. You are overly exaggerating the situation to say the least. At least in terms of NY, I can't speak for some extreme location like Northern parts of New York State, Dakota or Wyoming.
We were talking about hot and cold weather, not hurricanes or tornados or even rain which is not exclusive to the south. Just the chances of something happening to you due to either the cold or the heat, as well as the inconvenience it causes. I am heading out right now and the weather is the farthest thing from my mind.

I have to see someone, do some banking and pick up a few things while I am out and be back here before 1pm because someone is coming by on business. I don't have the least worry I won't be on time for everything I have to do today. I could not say the same thing if I was up north right now. I am afraid I am addicted to the ease with which I live my life here, thats all I can say.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewChapter View Post
All I know is that I am moving away from the cold. I'm sick of getting up in the morning to find a thick coat of ice all over my car that won't scrape off easily at all, and my car doors frozen shut, and slipping on ice causing me to fall all the way down my steep driveway(causing a contusion on my hip), and my car not starting once I have my dad come and pry my doors open, then by the time my heat actually kicks in I'm always to my destination and my hands are so frozen, even with gloves on, that they are beat red and I can't really move them. All I know is that I will not miss the dryness of winter causing my hands to get so dry they crack and bleed, and you can't breathe when it gets so cold and I have severe asthma and had to drive myself into urgent care one day to be put on a nebulizer but it took me forever because the streets were icy and I barely made it there. All I know is I look forward to the warm!
CAN I GET A FREAKING AMEN ALL UP IN HERE!!!!!!! I also fell the other day on ice, both my knees bleeding, ripped my pants and long underwear underneath, now have nasty bruises on my needs, and was in the hospital yesterday becasue my leg just hasn't been right since that fall, i have an odd discoloration on my shin and i've been putting it off thinking ahh it'll go away, but the pain was getting worse and worse to walk on.. they put me in a boot till i can get to my doc cause they think i have a hairline fracture, i will say this, the boot keeps me warm, i tried to go for a walk this morn and man they need to make body suits outta this stuff!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:29 AM

973 posts, read 2,229,210 times
Quote:
2. How many accidents occur during the rainy season (again in the summer months)
From April through October, at a conservative estimate, at least 50% of the days contain some amount of rain. I don't want to rush to judgement about why, since many drivers here have never driven up north, but I suspect that accidents are incredibly common here for three reasons:
- Northerners think that driving in a light rain is a cakewalk compared to snow/ice, which it is, but they're not as careful as everyone should be in the rain.
- Floridians think a 10 minute rain isn't long enough to worry about being more careful, or the fact that it happens so frequently that people don't have the patience to be careful on roads that seem to always be wet.
- Florida is a retirement state, and it's a proven fact that motor skills of all people decline with age. Driver's license renewal is a joke, so there are thousands of people in their 70's, 80's, or 90's who would fail a driver's road exam within minutes. Not all of course, but many elderly drivers are simply more dangerous than many teens who have just received their license. However, Florida's government will never do anything about this issue - they're not about to upset a large portion of the voter pool.

Most of my life has been in Florida, but I've spent a few years with heavy snow and ice in more northern areas. Winters up there are overall more dangerous, but summers here aren't always a walk in the park..

Old 01-04-2008, 09:32 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
. I could not say the same thing if I was up north right now. I am afraid I am addicted to the ease with which I live my life here, thats all I can say.
It would depend on where you were living. The roads & highways are fine here in the Cleveland area. Businesses are all running along as they usually do. You would have to wear a coat, hat, & gloves. It is pretty nippy out, so the first few minutes in the car would take some adjusting just as it does when it is hot out in Florida & one's car needs to cool down inside.

We've had 2 big snowfalls in 2 months while my inlaws in MA have had lots more snow & much colder temps.

To say "the north" is extremely overgeneralizing.

It's dealable IF you are accustomed to it and/or just are content where you are living. We were in southern states for about 10 years & neither of us could get "addicted" to the 6 months or more of "summer" in Texas, SoCal & Florida 80 degrees on Christmas Eve is just bizarre in our world

Old 01-04-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

It's dealable IF you are accustomed to it and/or just are content where you are living.
And that I think is a big part of it.. if your content where you are then you are more equipt mentally. You know when you get up in the morning you're gonna see 20 inches of snow, and you accept that and go on with life... Myself however who is not content (and others like me ) wake up, know we're going to see the snow, but just ask ourselves why , why have the snow when we can wake up to a beach.. And in turn makes it unbearable knowing what we had , and no longer do. I guess thats how I feel about the whole winter in a nutshell

Old 01-04-2008, 09:42 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
We were talking about hot and cold weather, not hurricanes or tornados or even rain which is not exclusive to the south. Just the chances of something happening to you due to either the cold or the heat, as well as the inconvenience it causes. I am heading out right now and the weather is the farthest thing from my mind.

I have to see someone, do some banking and pick up a few things while I am out and be back here before 1pm because someone is coming by on business. I don't have the least worry I won't be on time for everything I have to do today. I could not say the same thing if I was up north right now. I am afraid I am addicted to the ease with which I live my life here, thats all I can say.
Ah okay, i see what you did there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
From April through October, at a conservative estimate, at least 50% of the days contain some amount of rain. I don't want to rush to judgement about why, since many drivers here have never driven up north, but I suspect that accidents are incredibly common here for three reasons:
- Northerners think that driving in a light rain is a cakewalk compared to snow/ice, which it is, but they're not as careful as everyone should be in the rain.
- Floridians think a 10 minute rain isn't long enough to worry about being more careful, or the fact that it happens so frequently that people don't have the patience to be careful on roads that seem to always be wet.
- Florida is a retirement state, and it's a proven fact that motor skills of all people decline with age. Driver's license renewal is a joke, so there are thousands of people in their 70's, 80's, or 90's who would fail a driver's road exam within minutes. Not all of course, but many elderly drivers are simply more dangerous than many teens who have just received their license. However, Florida's government will never do anything about this issue - they're not about to upset a large portion of the voter pool.

Most of my life has been in Florida, but I've spent a few years with heavy snow and ice in more northern areas. Winters up there are overall more dangerous, but summers here aren't always a walk in the park..
The craziest accident I ever saw was during rain. This guy was flooring it down Sunrise blvd here in Fort Lauderdale, lost control and did a series of 360 degree spins from the far right lane, across the the left lane and ended up half way in on coming traffic and on the median. I don't know where he was from but people do seem to think hydroplaning is a myth during rain here.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:47 AM

hydroplaining imo is exactly the same as hitting black ice, once it starts hold on to you knickers and don't hit the brake.. your screwed.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:55 AM

672 posts, read 905,330 times
Default I am from NYC

Quote:
1. end of summer brings hurricane to the south, how many people are with out power, lose life, lose money from work etc.

3. How many people die of heat exhaustion each year

I am sure I am forgetting more things that occur during the summer months in America that cause lose of life, accidents and hardships. Again your being a bit elementary in your approach to this topic

I should mention I am from NYC and also lived on Long Island for a time. You are overly exaggerating the situation to say the least. At least in terms of NY, I can't speak for some extreme location like Northern parts of New York State, Dakota or Wyoming.
and lived for 20 years on LI. It is a totally different world in the NYC Metro area than what they are talking about, especially in Manhattan. Actually, in the past 30 years I would also say that it has gotten significantly warmer than from what I can remember when I was a kid, but I don't want to start a topic about global warming.

Just a little piece of information, for anyone for might care, after they plow the roads, they put down SAND on Long Island. There's a major supply around. It stays around FOREVER. I was sweeping it up in the house for months afterwards.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:55 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Yes, objectivity on this forum would be "nice" but look at what you are comparing...Florida to about 50%-66% of the country right now...that's not truly objective.

Winter, per se, effects more states & not all of these places are under winter weather advisories or having blizzards every day.

I think to be truly objective, you need to compare a northern/midwest/northwest state that has "winters" that are comparable to "summers" in FL.

Simply stated, common sense plays a big role in extreme heat & extreme cold. I couldn't take my 2 yr old out in 100+ degree heat indexes that plagued Punta Gorda most of the summer nor can I take him out in 10 degree weather in NE OH. But we live in an area that is not as extreme as say Maine or NH. This weekend temps are going up into the high 50s.

Some on this site are experiencing a tough winter, but that is not true for every person. People on here love to exaggerate to get a point across & really throw out extreme circumstances.

It's winter. It's unpredicatable. Just as unpredictable as the 2008 hurricane season.

In a few months, those who are complaining about the cold will be whining about the heat, bugs, humidity, you name it....

Common sense. If weather so greatly impacts your life & you've never lived in the north, I don't suggest moving to Maine. If you've never lived in the south, I don't suggest moving to SWFL. If you do, expect the EXTREME b/c you are moving to the extreme!!!!!

Yes, accidents & deaths happen due to ice & snow. But again, just how many places is one getting this info from? The number is going to be high when you combine it with the NE, Midwest, & NW numbers.

We got our Christmas tree hazard free. We attended Christmas Eve mass & made it home alive. My husband has been driving in snow & makes it to work & back without incident. We made snow angels the other day & didn't lose any limbs or get frost bite. Our heat is working fine. Our pipes are not frozen.

Then there is the family who was driving in blizzard conditions, ran a red light, were not wearing seatbelts & the driver had a suspended license. His wife who was 8 months pregnant died & his two children are in the hospital. Can this be found anywhere? Yes. Half of these accidents & incidents are due to negligence & stupidity.

Why is an 85yr old man out shoveling his 100yd driveway when it is 15 degrees out?

How many high school footballs players get rushed to the hospital due to heat exhaustion?

I felt more unsafe on I-75 during afternoon rushhour in Fort Myers than I do here when it is snowing but that is b/c this is what "I AM" use to & can handle.

All is so relative to what a person can endure & handle.

Actually the "Amen!!!!" belongs here....

I think you're actually being nice because I think they're referring to only maybe 20% of the country.....

Seeing these references to "Up North" here as though anything NOT Florida is "Up North"..... Well to make sure I'm on topic let me relay this tidbit.... In the Shenedoah Valley area of Virginia in which I live (which is "Up North" from Florida by the way if we're being technical here) we have received almost exactly 1..... That's right, count it..... 1 inch of snow thus far.... Temps got down to the low teens last night for the first time this year but it's supposed to get up to the mid 60s for the first few days of next week.....

Oh whoah is me!!!!!

Again there are plenty of places that aren't getting blasted with snow and brutal cold right now (though brutal cold is relative just like scorching heat, right?? ). My pipes aren't frozen, we aren't snowed in and life is moving along just peachy.

Anyway I've encountered a few things that battle some of the "cold weather ailments" that people seem to wish to beat the drum on as if there is no way around it.....

Dry air??? It's called a humidifier.

Dry skin??? It's called moisturizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida