Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 09:08 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
wondering where u would go to.
Not sure yet - any ideas? I'm thinking Reno, NV......someplace less crowded.....I'm getting my fill of beaches, Bucs/Rays/Bolts games -------in ten yrs I think I'll be ready for some solitude.

Who am I kidding? ----I'm probably just go out to Ocala horse country with the rolling hills and live off the land......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 09:26 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
There are many other financially related benefits in FL.

What do u have to support your thinking that the majority of the immigrants are less than middle class?
What are they going to live on? Sunshine? The state offers virtually no public welfare benefits.
No, but the federal government does and there are boatloads that think they can make it down here, can't make it and end up on public assistance. Do you honestly think that most immigrants coming to Florida from Central and South America are middle class an above ? There is no middle class in most of their home countries. Just like the illegals, those folks come here to leave the squalor of their third world existence.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
No. I did not state anything about over population of the state. Areas like S. FL are overpopulated as more and more people squeeze in there. What problems do you find in infrastructure? The unemployment rate in Fl is 6.2 (and dont give me that crapolla that the numbers are fake. Every state is rated the same way)
California is at 7.4, D.C. 7.4, New York 6.6. So whats the problem?

National Homeownership rate, 2009-2013 64.9% FL 67.1. GA is 65.1 NC 66.4
NY is 54.2 CA is 55.3.

Median income: NC $46,334. FL $46,956 CA $61,094 NY $58,003
IL $56,797. MI $48,411

Poverty rate NC 17.5 GA 18.2 MI 16.8 IL 14.1 NY 15.3 FL 16.3

What is indicating that FL is this state full of poor people struggling to stay alive?

It seems to me that you FL haters are trying to justify your leaving the state.
None of you FL haters are native to the state so you left someplace else to come here.
WHY did you come here? You obviously knew the weather situation, the employment rate,
the COL in general, auto insurance, homeowners insurance. No secrets. All widely available information which today you use against FL while the states that you folks are in have it worse or some in
very very close to the FL figures.

Bunch of malcontent, angry, unhappy, miserable whiners and former FL residents.
You want some cheese with your whine ? There are plenty of sheep that believe anything the Federal government puts out about unemployment, housing rates, etc. Everyone except for you knows that U3 does not tell the entire unemployment story.

And you are right about anyone moving to Florida knowing the situation ahead of time ... but the one thing one don't know is the general quality of the people.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:41 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Do you honestly think that most immigrants coming to Florida from Central and South America are middle class an above ? There is no middle class in most of their home countries. Just like the illegals, those folks come here to leave the squalor of their third world existence.
A fair number of them are. If you're affluent and in an unstable country like Venezuela, El Salvador, Honduras, etc. then step one is to buy a condo in greater Miami for cash in order to have a safe haven during troubled times at home. And then a number of them decide they like the South Florida lifestyle better than Caracas or Bogota, and figure out a way to stay in the USA.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/davidnoriega...rce#.tfbqz6pNO

Quote:
“Compared to, say, Mexicans or Dominicans or other Latino populations, these are almost exclusively people from the middle class and upper middle class,” said David Smilde, a senior fellow and Venezuela expert at the Washington Office on Latin America and a professor at the University of Georgia. “This is a diaspora of people who are very anti-Chávez and now anti-Maduro, whose interests have been touched upon, who fear the rise of a dictatorship, or who have been victims of some kind of political persecution.”
Quote:
It started with a wave of former oil executives, who fled to the U.S. after workers from the state oil company staged a massive but ultimately failed strike in 2002 to protest Chávez’s tightened grip on the company. Subsequent waves of migrants included people from every major industry: finance and banking, construction and real estate, imports and exports. “It was exodus after exodus,” Diaz said in Spanish. “We’re talking about industrialists: people who ran businesses with 500,000 or 600,000 employees, and who had run them for 40 years. We’re talking about people with money.”

Old 12-24-2014, 09:53 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
For all it's faults.... Florida is still a destination that people want to move to.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:54 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Not sure yet - any ideas? I'm thinking Reno, NV......someplace less crowded.....I'm getting my fill of beaches, Bucs/Rays/Bolts games -------in ten yrs I think I'll be ready for some solitude.

Who am I kidding? ----I'm probably just go out to Ocala horse country with the rolling hills and live off the land......
I'd go the Ocala horse country too.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
A fair number of them are. If you're affluent and in an unstable country like Venezuela, El Salvador, Honduras, etc. then step one is to buy a condo in greater Miami for cash in order to have a safe haven during troubled times at home. And then a number of them decide they like the South Florida lifestyle better than Caracas or Bogota, and figure out a way to stay in the USA.
This is certainly true to a small extent ... but most of these affluent people have servants, guards, chauffeurs, etc in their native country and actually like it there. Buying a condo in Miami and staying there part-time on a tourist visa does not count in the 19+ million.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
You want some cheese with your whine ? There are plenty of sheep that believe anything the Federal government puts out about unemployment, housing rates, etc. Everyone except for you knows that U3 does not tell the entire unemployment story.

And you are right about anyone moving to Florida knowing the situation ahead of time ... but the one thing one don't know is the general quality of the people.
As far as the numbers go, the same formula is used to come up with them regardless of which state those numbers represent. Those numbers are indicators.

If u think the government is trying to fool you how do you explain the numbers when they are high or bad economic news comes out?

Old 12-24-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
As far as the numbers go, the same formula is used to come up with them regardless of which state those numbers represent. Those numbers are indicators.

If u think the government is trying to fool you how do you explain the numbers when they are high or bad economic news comes out?
Some bad news can't be swept under the rug, but using U3 instead of U6 is creative accounting at best.

The "U-6" includes two groups of people that the "U-3" does not:

1. "Marginally attached workers" - people who are not actively looking for work, but who have indicated that they want a job and have looked for work (without success) sometime in the past 12 months. This class also includes "discouraged workers" who have completely given up on finding a job because they feel that they just won't find one.

2. People who are looking for full-time work but have to settle on a part-time job due to economic reasons. This means that they want full-time work, but can't find it.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
No, but the federal government does and there are boatloads that think they can make it down here, can't make it and end up on public assistance. Do you honestly think that most immigrants coming to Florida from Central and South America are middle class an above ? There is no middle class in most of their home countries. Just like the illegals, those folks come here to leave the squalor of their third world existence.
Put the racist prejudices down a few minutes and educate yourself:

Foreign Buyers Drive Florida's Housing Recovery - Businessweek

Comments on: Florida

International Buyers Spend $318 Million Monthly On South Florida Real Estate

South Florida has highest percentage of immigrants - South Florida Business Journal

This country was founded and built by immigrants. The Dutch came here in the early 1600s.
All of my grandparents were immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida