Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 05:43 PM

4,847 posts, read 2,665,246 times

Advertisements

a resurrected thread from the dead to feed your head..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 01:45 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Looks like a no win situation, as you want to move to Florida and she doesnt If you make the move she's going to be unhappy,if you dont make the move you'll be unhappy.
How about a compromise and buy/rent a mobile home in the Daytona area and spend 3-4 months every winter living in it, perhaps you could go down a month early and leave a month late giving you a 4-6 month stay.
Exactly. There are "snowbirds" in FL just like in AZ who come down for a few months in the winter while those up north freeze. In the spring they go back up.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:33 AM

276 posts, read 282,493 times
Snow Birds seem like a good step for you initially. If you enjoy it, perhaps she will be more excited about a permanent move. What is really to do in the cold, dreary winter months up north? My opinion is that most people feel better physically and emotionally with a milder, more sunny climate where they can be more active. Emotional health and physical health will benefit I would think in your case. Hope for you that you can experiment by spending a good block of time south!

Old 04-10-2019, 02:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Exactly. There are "snowbirds" in FL just like in AZ who come down for a few months in the winter while those up north freeze. In the spring they go back up.
I dont get why people freeze in northern winters as you have heaters in your car,in your home ,in the places you go to and i assume you wear weather appropriate clothing,im up here in Montreal and im not freezing.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:18 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
I dont get why people freeze in northern winters as you have heaters in your car,in your home ,in the places you go to and i assume you wear weather appropriate clothing,im up here in Montreal and im not freezing.
I feel the same about people who complain about the heat here - we have AC in our cars, homes, businesses, etc. I am never too hot. Plus there are beaches and swimming pools.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:18 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:54 PM

801 posts, read 451,296 times
I doubt you will continue to be happily married (assuming you are now) if you force her to move.
My wife didn't want to move but there were reasons that we had to (Long story...) and now we're getting a divorce after 18 years because she "couldn't" live where we moved to. The ironic thing is now I want to move back too... but the way she treated me the past 2 years after our move was so bad, now I don't even want to live with her any more.

Now I'm stuck here alone until I can sell and move (slow market) and she is planning to return to where we used to live, on her own, presumably looking for a new husband as well...

I have a friend whose wife made him move to a place he didn't want to, because of her job. He's been very unhappy ever since - some 10-15 years now - and he will never be happy there. She won't move and he's just got to either suck it up or divorce and he doesn't want to divorce. So: Stuck.

Is there no compromise position with your wife? I suppose if she insists on being near the grandchildren, that's that.

If you could afford 2 places I'd think that would be a good compromise; or if it's safe to leave your home for 3-5 months, just go rent in FL for a few months each year (again, given your financial ability to do so). If you can't afford to rent for a few months or buy a house or RV etc in Fl for a few months per year, then you're probably just screwed.

Last edited by movingvanmorrison; 04-12-2019 at 05:37 PM..

Old 04-12-2019, 05:42 PM

801 posts, read 451,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Exactly.
I can tell you why:
I grew up in a cold climate, hated it there when I became an adult, so moved. (Snow is fun when you're a kid though even then I hated the cold...)

I moved to a warm state and was just much happier there!
More sun, no cold.
More fun being outside.
Beaches.
Camping.
Hiking.
All in warm weather...

Maybe people (like me) don't like to have to wear sweaters and coats half the year.

Maybe people (like me) like to be in shorts and short sleeves.

Maybe people (like me) like to spend time outside relaxing in the yard or on the porch, enjoying nice mild weather most of the year.

There are many reasons to hate cold weather! High heating bills is another reason. Shoveling snow is another...

I'd NEVER move back to a cold climate!

Old 04-15-2019, 07:07 AM

216 posts, read 327,646 times
This post is 4 years old BTW.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:37 AM

518 posts, read 868,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbig View Post
This post is 4 years old BTW.
Still relevant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida