Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 03:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,094 times

Advertisements

I might be all over the place with my criteria so please have patience. I was born and raised in Miami ( south eastern sections of Cutler Ridge / Palmetto bay / Pinecrest / East Kendall areas and have lived there for over 40 years. I have been talking of moving for 15 years and never have made the move, so now I think of places that I might move to in the next 10-15 years. I guess I like planning ahead (haha), but it's also a hobby of interest and I like to visit places throughout Florida.

I could set my criteria by saying I'm looking for Key West if I cant move to Key West (haha).

Lets say that I'm open to master planned cities like Seaside Florida and Celebration ( if it were coastal ) and I'm open to a more natural organic city. I'm open to the casualness of the Keys and Key West and also love the cleanliness and manicure of say Long Boat key and Seaside.

I am looking for a town that has golf course very very nearby, has a good amount of waterfront dining and some bars, and If i can pretend, i'd like my boat on the water or have close marina access. Having the town, be golf cart friendly would be a huge bonus. I would love to have that southern, colonial, or keys nautical, coastal architecture for the downtown and neighborhoods.

I picture taking my golf cart out of the garage and playing at the local course and taking my boat out right from my back yard. Taking my golf cart to local restaurants and bars and friends houses etc..

No major cities!

Get the idea?

Here are some of the places folks have suggested:

Of course Key West
Rosemary beach
Amelia island
Fernandino beach
Anna maria island
Stuart
St Pete beach
Safety Harbor
Seaside
Indian Rocks beach or Indian Shores
Dunedin
Long Boat key
Siesta key
Apalachacola

can you comment on any of the above or add new?

Is there that perfect town in Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 05:23 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,321,470 times
I would look at Naples, specifically Olde Naples.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:38 PM

663 posts, read 1,144,306 times
Maybe Boca Grande

Old 01-06-2015, 05:56 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
Fernandina/Amelia Island

Old 01-06-2015, 07:05 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Vilano Beach

Old 01-06-2015, 10:50 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,896,446 times
Key Largo fits everything you're looking for. It is Key West for people who can't move to Key West. It is quieter, more natural, and slightly less drunk. It is also less expensive, although not by a ton. It's safer too from a hurricane/evacuation standpoint.

Not sure what your reason for not moving to Key West would be. If it's money, Key Largo might not fit the bill by the time you move, unless we have another housing crash. But Key Largo does have a decent amount of above-flood land, with dry lots (not waterfront), so there are feasible places to stay at a much lower price. But I still would not recommend living in a trailer even if it is above flood, unless you can hitch it up and drive it away for every tropical storm and higher.

Personally, I would not recommend Key West living. Unless you're heavily into the party scene, it is very noisy, very crowded, has way more homeless and mentally ill drifters than any of the other Keys, is essentially impossible to park or drive anywhere, and is crazy expensive for often sub-par moldy housing. Nearly everything else is more expensive too, and most of it is below flood. It's way more isolated, and a pain to leave the Rock if you want to. If it's your thing, it's your thing, but I think your description better fit Key Largo. The gulf club is at Ocean Reef, where the President stayed, which is as snooty as you could ever want it to be. Key Largo is not very organic, but likely will be decently so by the time you move. Islamorada is another good choice, but again of course expensive - usually more so than Key Largo on average because it's a narrow strip with a lot of direct ocean access lots. That means it is also a bit more trendy art-chic in atmosphere than Key Largo, with more organic stuff and yoga classes, etc.

Many people want to live in Key West but don't know much about the other Keys, which actually generally offer a much better standard of living for a lower price. Right now, there are above-flood dry lots that start in the 200s. They're small and not fancy, but they buy you virtually the same lifestyle you'd get anywhere in the Keys, for a lower price tag. Of course, no one has any clue what the prices will be ANYWHERE in 15 years.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:09 AM

Thanks for all the info on keys west. It actually paints a very different picture. I frequent Islamorada often, but it doesn't offer future daily retired golf unless you have lots of $ and live in ocean reef or drive to the Redlands or south to marathon.

I also thought of leaving the far south Florida of Miami and the keys, but who knows, might stick it out in Islamorada.

I just enjoy looking at different ( perhaps imaginary ) little interesting towns and perhaps planning ahead.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:55 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,896,446 times
It would appear according to the website that you don't need to live in Ocean Reef to use their golf course (unlike their doctors). Even if it's more expensive than you'd like, you could perhaps compensate for regular golf by buying an above-flood home on a dry lot in Key Largo, and use the mortgage savings towards daily golf. Of course, the trade off there is you're not on a waterfront property, but many neighborhoods have an extremely low HOA annual fee, which allows you access to a community beach and boat launch. That works fine for a smaller boat. There is also of course the option of docking at a marina for a bigger boat, if you have the cash.

Apparently while Ocean Reef has 2 golf courses, Key Largo has a 3rd golf course in the Card Sound Golf Club. There is a review on there from someone who had played golf all over the world who rated it 5 stars and says it is as good as any others they've played.

Tavernier also has some above flood housing that is even cheaper, but many of those lots are heavily wooded so you may be dealing with very little sunlight and even more mosquitoes, and it is further from Ocean Reef. But then it would be easy to visit your old favorite Islamorada spots. Because they tend to have better deep water access, Tavernier's waterfront stilts tend to be more expensive than in Key Largo, for older homes. Also, you probably know Tavernier as a town doesn't have the charm you're looking for, it's a little more rundown. But then again you have easy access to Harry Harris Park if you want some easy ocean and sand access. It's a much more working class feel overall than either Islamorada or Key Largo, but with very friendly people.

Marathon has 2 golf courses apparently. Marathon offers some cheaper housing, has more of a town feel, has access to more shopping and some big chain stores. It has of course easy access to deep sea fishing, and has a lot more group activities to join given the larger population. I personally however find the "city" itself to be very ugly, and it has no charm whatsoever. But it is a great mid-point island for access to both Lower and Upper Keys, and is near Key Colony Beach and Duck Key, which are nice areas.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:09 AM

Thanks Starfish. great answers! I agree about marathon, but maybe the so-so appearance is a trade off.

Have an opinion on the areas of fernandina, amelia island, anastasia island, st augustine beach areas?

regardless you've been very helpful and for those above who gave answers also, thanks !

Old 01-07-2015, 01:01 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark7787 View Post

Have an opinion on the areas of fernandina, amelia island, anastasia island, st augustine beach areas?
Fernandina Beach is on Amelia Island. There was a stinky paper mill in St Mary's GA, I think. It's on the other side of Amelia Island, which is on GA/FL border. The smell from that paper mill can stink up the entire island pretty bad. When I was there once it smelled like a bad septic tank. Other times there is no smell. It depends on the wind direction and what's going on at the paper mill. I don't know if the paper mill is still active. It's been a few years since I was there.

Introduction in Amelia Island | Frommer's

I mentioned "Vilano Beach" in one of the above posts---that's one of the beach towns on a the northern barrier island(maybe penisula) that is near St Augustine. It's nice but traffic in St Augustine tourist area can be pretty bad at times. I am sure there are alternate routes that the locals use to bypass the gridlock in the small area of downtown Sg Augustine. Vilano Beach has small beach towny/local feel there. I like it a lot- Vilano Beach.

The other island that is near St Augustine is just south of town and it's called Anastasia Island. It is also nice but totally different from the Vilano Beach area. Anastasia Island has more condos and much more development and also perfect lawns/landscaping in many areas. It reminds me a bit more like some of the areas near in S FL..where there's hardly a square inch of land that hasn't been landscaped or developed. But it's very nice.

Vilano beach is more of an old florida sand swept beach town.

2 cool places that are quite different from each other yet close in proximity.

St Augustine is on the mainland between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida