Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 PM

38 posts, read 168,381 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Florida for 3 1/2 years. Over the course of the last year, we've seriously contemplated leaving the state. Every time we think we have decided to leave, though, we decide to stay. I'm tired of not being able to make up my mind. I know the town in which we live is not right for us, but I'm not sure if we should leave Florida or stay here. We really liked Florida the first two years, but now our rose-colored glasses are tarnished.

Those of you who love Florida, would you please share what you like most about this state. I think the grass might really be greener outside of Starke, but I'm just not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 07:30 PM

548 posts, read 540,522 times
Go down a few threads and read the one called "Best reasons to move to Florida". People list what they love about it.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:36 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
I understand completely how you feel, I recently left Naples Fl in June because I believed the grass was wayyyyyyy greener and always mowed on the other side!! I talked nothing negative about Florida, it took me 6 months to realize the mistake I made.. I'm now moving back. There are always negatives about everywhere you live, as you said perhaps it is just the town, maybe start visiting other towns in Fla, see if you get a feeling of "this is where I should be" while there. Just remember its cheaper to move in state then out of state. So why not shop around before you make a harsh decision...

Why I love Florida..

no snow
no -15 for a high
1 license plate
swimming in January
flat roads, no pot holes
easiy biking, no up and down hills, and easier to walk
no being snowed in for days on end
no gas bills!

beautiful sunsets
great wildlife
close to a beach no matter where you are
no haze!
cheaper taxes!
more jobs (my sunday newspaper here had 12 jobs in it)
faster to cool down the car than to spend 25 mins scraping ice and THEN heating it
Don't have to pay extra taxes to send my child to the school I want
longer daylight hours = cheaper electric bills
beautiful blue skies, no long stretches of cloudy days
the list goes on

But if you are truely unhappy then perhaps it is time for a change, only you can make that decision and I hope you make the one thats right for you and the family and you finally find your grass is greener place after all

Old 01-06-2008, 07:37 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
Go down a few threads and read the one called "Best reasons to move to Florida". People list what they love about it.
oh good thinking lol and I started the thread derrrrr....

Old 01-06-2008, 09:51 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
I have lived in Florida for 3 1/2 years. Over the course of the last year, we've seriously contemplated leaving the state. Every time we think we have decided to leave, though, we decide to stay. I'm tired of not being able to make up my mind. I know the town in which we live is not right for us, but I'm not sure if we should leave Florida or stay here. We really liked Florida the first two years, but now our rose-colored glasses are tarnished.

Those of you who love Florida, would you please share what you like most about this state. I think the grass might really be greener outside of Starke, but I'm just not sure.
One thing I like for sure...NO SNOW. I don't have to shovel it. Don't have to walk in it. The weather is usually good.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:02 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
i love when i walk out at night and can see all the glittering stars with no pollution. it is so peaceful here at night. (plus all the other reasons listed in the other posts). i don't know if it was mentioned, but no car inspection is good also.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:09 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i don't know if it was mentioned, but no car inspection is good also.
Yes, the environment says, "Thank you Florida!!!"

Old 01-07-2008, 08:17 AM

497 posts, read 1,566,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Yes, the environment says, "Thank you Florida!!!"
Car inspections have nothing to do with the environment. It's another tax put on you by the state. Almost any car on the road is built with California emissions standards or other tougher standards in each state. If you have a friend that works in the inspection station you can get your car to pass inspection as long as you pay the state their money. Inspections do nothing for the environment.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:53 AM

548 posts, read 540,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Car inspections have nothing to do with the environment. It's another tax put on you by the state. Almost any car on the road is built with California emissions standards or other tougher standards in each state. If you have a friend that works in the inspection station you can get your car to pass inspection as long as you pay the state their money. Inspections do nothing for the environment.
We disagree about global warming and other topics, but you are right about this one. And the corruption involved is unreal.

When we lived in NJ and PA anyone who knew anyone got an emission or inspection sticker with no problem. But if a newcomer or stranger came it...every time they would need emissions work or brakes or whatever business the station could drum up for itself and neighboring repair shops.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:10 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
We disagree about global warming and other topics, but you are right about this one. And the corruption involved is unreal.

When we lived in NJ and PA anyone who knew anyone got an emission or inspection sticker with no problem. But if a newcomer or stranger came it...every time they would need emissions work or brakes or whatever business the station could drum up for itself and neighboring repair shops.
Florida inspections ended when they were losing money. They didn't care the first thing about safe cars or emissions. This is not just my opinion by the way, they discussed what it was costing the state and decided to drop it. It was all about money, nothing else. It was a total joke anyway. There was one testing station in Hollywood and across the street was a place called "The catalytic connection". You brought your car there and they would put a testing machine on the car and mess with it till the numbers were right. Then the mechanic would drive the car across the street and run it through. Some times the car would hardly run as a result of what they had done to get it to pass. Then they brought it back, reset the car back correct settings so it could be driven and off you went with your new sticker. I brought one car in there and when the guy was going through the test the engine was racing away like crazy, you could not hear yourself think. It passed. I am glad they dropped testing, it was just another Florida farce anyway.

Last edited by macguy; 01-07-2008 at 10:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida