Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:27 AM

428 posts, read 450,706 times

Advertisements

I am from Canada, and currently live on the prairies near the US border. It is currently 10 degrees F and in winter temperatures will regularly drop as low as -40F. I spent 3 months each year living in Florida for a span of years. You better believe I was happier in Florida. Anyone who says otherwise is lying or a fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 09:43 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
I am from Canada, and currently live on the prairies near the US border. It is currently 10 degrees F and in winter temperatures will regularly drop as low as -40F. I spent 3 months each year living in Florida for a span of years. You better believe I was happier in Florida. Anyone who says otherwise is lying or a fool.
Opinions.
Not everyone is a fan of constant heat, humidity, lack of mountains, insane daily summer storms, etc.
Not everyone is a fan of urban sprawl -- Pretty much every city down south suffers from this development trend.
Not everyone is bothered by the cold.
My mom and sis both moved back up to Canada (Montreal) after having lived here for 8 years. Both like Montreal much better than they do Florida.
I stayed here, as, obviously, for me, the pros outweigh the cons. Again, for me.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:58 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I am taking a long weekend next weekend and flying out to Tampa Saturday evening, coming back Tuesday night.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:36 PM

500 posts, read 1,173,650 times
I'm from Columbus, OH which is very similar to Indy. I totally understand where you're coming from.

You'll love the Tampa Bay Area. I'm more partial to Pinellas County than Tampa proper, but the whole area is terrific!

Old 01-12-2015, 05:46 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,317,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Opinions.
Not everyone is a fan of constant heat, humidity, lack of mountains, insane daily summer storms, etc.
Not everyone is a fan of urban sprawl -- Pretty much every city down south suffers from this development trend.
My mom and sis both moved back up to Canada (Montreal) after having lived here for 8 years. Both like Montreal much better than they do Florida.
I stayed here, as, obviously, for me, the pros outweigh the cons. Again, for me.
Wicked winters there and in Toronto.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:15 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Wicked winters there and in Toronto.
But awesome summers ...

Old 01-13-2015, 06:36 AM

77 posts, read 112,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
I'm from Columbus, OH which is very similar to Indy. I totally understand where you're coming from.

You'll love the Tampa Bay Area. I'm more partial to Pinellas County than Tampa proper, but the whole area is terrific!
ITA with this! If I didn't have kids I would be headed back to the same area. I have lived in Clearwater and St. Pete. I have friends in Madeira beach area. I love it there.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:58 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Opinions.
I'm the opposite. I'll take the heat over 35F-45F for months(with the occasional arctic blast). Was up north for a couple weeks but could not get used to the above or lower temps.

No, not everyone is bothered by the cold or the heat. At least you can be active with the ocean down here vs in Montreal(I remember you said you scuba dive. Maybe it was one of the reasons you stayed(??)) It's basically whatever fits your lifestyle.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:33 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octobersmoon View Post
ITA with this! If I didn't have kids I would be headed back to the same area. I have lived in Clearwater and St. Pete. I have friends in Madeira beach area. I love it there.
What I'm frustrated with is that there is virtually no opportunity to do anything outside here since October. October was pleasant, but November was cold, overcast, and soggy. December wasn't as cold, but even wetter. January has been the coldest and covered in snow and ice so far. The snow probably won't fully melt until March or so. I remember having the interview last year in late January and it was snow covered, came back at the first of April and still mounds of snow! The leaves didn't fully come out until almost June, and were gone again by mid October. We even had a couple of Saturdays from June-August where the temperature didn't even hit 70!

I went to Nashville in late April and the leaves were mostly out and it was much more pleasant, pleasant enough to sit outside at the marina. Even their weather would be a major improvement over Indiana. We get snow in east TN, but it doesn't typically linger like it does here, nor are the cold temperatures as consistently cold. I lived outside of Spartanburg, SC for awhile, and snow was even more shortlived.

I'm single, don't have any kids, and don't plan to. I'm going on vacation, but will probably check out a few things in the Tampa area as I am considering relocating there in the future if I like what I see. I'll probabl come back to FL this summer, at least to check out Jacksonville too.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:06 AM

500 posts, read 1,173,650 times
If you're a mid-thirties man, where have you been hiding all my life? lol

It's nearly impossible to find men that don't want kids!

And if you're a woman, will you need any built in childless friends when you get there? haha

I would almost consider a platonic-split-the-cost Investigate Tampa Bay Area trip with you, because I'd love to go back again, but hate traveling by myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida