Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 03:20 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saranshay View Post
Suggestions for coastal places along nc and sc?
Wilmington, Mt Pleasant, Charleston, Hilton Head, Beaufort ... and try posting in the NC/SC forums for more details ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 05:25 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
what were you not "real fond of" in FL when you left? you can talk yourself into thinking it wont bother you this time around, but it doesnt work.
Honestly, mainly the weather and the fact that you need a car to get around. I'm a big city guy, and somewhere like NYC really suits me. And I grew up in Florida, so I kind of got tired of it. So I went to live in Los Angeles for a little while. But I've been living in Australia and New Zealand the past 2 years, and have grown to appreciate some of the things I didn't in Florida. I also just turned 25, and I'm trying to find somewhere permanent to live. And Florida represents the best chance for me job-wise. If I go to another state with a city that offers me the true urban living I so long for, then I have a good chance of suffering money/career-wise.

So the best thing I think I can do is find my "spot" in Florida. Somewhere I can at least be semi-happy with. I totally agree with you that I may come back and end up hating Florida again, but I think it's really my best option overall vs. the alternatives. But time away from a place does do one good. So I'm willing to take the good with the bad.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:51 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
I'd say you'll want to take an extended vacation in FL before you decide to move. Connect with people in each city who know it well, and like it. They can show you the good places to be, the stuff that's improving. Then you'll know if you can possibly handle it or not.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:30 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Hey PDF I responded to one your post about Orlando in that forum as well but just to add on I"ll tell you I took something of the same journey. I spent most of my life in Florida (Ft. Myers and Orlando) and left to New England for a few years. In that time I lived in Boston, DC and San Fran areas. I came home for jobs as well, and I missed my family. After living in those 3 major cities I wondered if I would come to hate it back here as well. I will say I have my days where I miss the "City" but at the same time Orlando is really growing and coming into it's own. It's exciting for me to be here when the city is maturing and to be part of the growth. Going to the other places, although I loved them, I"m sure you have felt this as well, I sometimes felt out of place because I wasn't a native or longtime resident of those areas. I didn't grow up a die-hard Red Sox or 49ers fan. I didn't have hometown roots there or stories about my youth in "_______" part of town. Coming home I gave up alot but I gained alot. All of the sudden I had a new appreciation for my hometown team the Magic who I did have heartbreaks over as a child. I went back to the places from my youth. And I realized although there were so many things to do in those other places, often times I was doing them alone. Today even though there's plenty to do I rarely get to do them. Being home near family it's always dinners, bbq's, birthdays, weddings, etc. It feels good to have my time consumed instead of always having to look for something to do. On top of that Orlando has really changed, it's not Boston, DC or San Fran by any means but Downtown has come a long way. Walking the streets of DT and the surrounding area I do get the urban and community. But the coolest part is I'm helping to create this new environment, not an outsider trying to get accepted into it. Finally, I think the thing that's kept me here as I grow older and look to settle down I realize this is a great place to raise a family. I had my fun in the "Big city" but at the end of the day thinking about my future, this a place I would want my kids to grow up in, I don't know if I can say that about the other cities. I wish you the best in making your decision.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:15 PM

103 posts, read 230,412 times
I moved away and came back! I was born and mostly raised in Florida. Left after high school and spent 24 years in CT, in a NYC suburb. Just returned in August 2013. We moved back to be near aging parents, lower cost of living & weather. I'm thrilled to be back and do feel like I'm home. My kids, who are definitely city kids, are still adjusting. But I think the slower pace of life is good for them. Growing up here, I couldn't get out fast enough. Now I can appreciate all that Florida has to offer and have awesome memories of growing up here. And I just returned from a long weekend in CT and absolutely hated the freezing & dreary weather. So this Florida native is happy to be back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida