Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 10:35 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,327,704 times

Advertisements

Just wondering about other Florida natives out there who left the state only to come back. I have spent most of my life in Tampa, and lived in California for a little bit, but have been out of the country the past few years. And I'm looking at permanently relocating back to Florida later in the year. Considering Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale, leaning towards Orlando, but I'm ready to come back and give Florida a real shot. I wasn't real fond of Florida my last few years there, but I've come to appreciate some things about the state after being away and am actually looking forward to it after being gone for a while.

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 10:53 PM

34,809 posts, read 30,852,651 times
My dad and his siblings were either born or raised outside Cocoa. Two have returned and wouldn't come back to east TN at all. Dad is currently a finalist for a job in Melbourne and wants to get to FL and out of TN.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:58 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,819,654 times
I'm a native and have lived out of state too. You take the good with the bad. I Lived in Asheville which is where most ppl in FL are moving to. I lived there and then moved back to FL. . Asheville and places like NC and Upstate SC I like a lot.

Last edited by StreetSmarts; 01-18-2015 at 11:11 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 07:58 AM

26,804 posts, read 43,267,473 times
I'm a native that has lived elsewhere as well (NC, DC, Philly and NYC) and moved back due to a parent's aging/illness a few years ago. There are many trade offs to living here with one big benefit that keeps me here, the weather. I can no longer deal with the cold anymore and have adjusted to putting up without the other perks, though not everyone can do that. Why are you feeling Orlando over Fort Lauderdale? FLL has a lot more going on for someone young and single, not to mention it's a good bit more sophisticated than Orlando in terms of residents generally speaking.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:24 AM

130 posts, read 211,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I'm a native and have lived out of state too. You take the good with the bad. I Lived in Asheville which is where most ppl in FL are moving to. I lived there and then moved back to FL. . Asheville and places like NC and Upstate SC I like a lot.

I am looking to move somewhere warm. I'm in Colorado and am looking at Florida and the Carolina's. I've been to Florida during the spring and it was great. I've also read that the Carolina's are not as humid as Florida. (I know they are humid too). We are a younger couple with a teen and a toddler and want to be somewhere where there are things to do.
From what I've gathered (please correct me if I'm wrong) Charleston seems to be a good place to vacation, maybe not so much to live? And myrtle beach I've read is maybe on the ghetto side?
For me Florida looks like a place we'd like to live. But property taxes are like triple then here and then you have the insurance that I am sure is triple as well.
So I'm looking for a second best. We like the beach and palm trees (I know insurance will be higher too) but maybe would like a suggestion on a second best place to explore besides Florida.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:03 AM

FL, NC and SC all have good options that might be good options for you. I like all 3 for very different reasons. I like FL b/c I'm a native so I've got that "proud native" complex, but I like the entertainment and the beaches. I like NC and SC for different reasons. I like the scenery, the people being so friendly, and the topography.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:59 AM

130 posts, read 211,274 times
Suggestions for coastal places along nc and sc?

Old 01-19-2015, 12:11 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,327,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm a native that has lived elsewhere as well (NC, DC, Philly and NYC) and moved back due to a parent's aging/illness a few years ago. There are many trade offs to living here with one big benefit that keeps me here, the weather. I can no longer deal with the cold anymore and have adjusted to putting up without the other perks, though not everyone can do that. Why are you feeling Orlando over Fort Lauderdale? FLL has a lot more going on for someone young and single, not to mention it's a good bit more sophisticated than Orlando in terms of residents generally speaking.
Orlando seems to have more going for it, and the nightlife in Ft. Lauderdale doesn't look like what it used to be. I will have a car, but I really value vibrancy and walkability. Downtown Orlando really seems like a great downtown, and I liked Winter Park when I was there. Ft. Lauderdale has a few good different areas as well, but everything in Orlando seems to be more centralized. Of course I would prefer to live near a beach, but Orlando is cheaper and a 90-minute drive isn't too bad.

But I'm not looking to make the move until September, so I'm not making a decision yet. However, Orlando is what it will be unless something about Ft. Lauderdale changes my mind. I'm definitely not going back to live in Tampa! So those 2 cities are really it for me.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:13 PM

what were you not "real fond of" in FL when you left? you can talk yourself into thinking it wont bother you this time around, but it doesnt work.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:26 PM

7,773 posts, read 10,059,682 times
I am a Jax-native, born and raised. Spent a few years in Chicago, returned to Jax almost six years ago. For the most part have been "based" out of Jax but living a nomadic existence...about 40% of my time each year has been away from my Jax "home."

Always thought I'd have left permanently by now but the more I get involved with in this city, the more I realize I probably will never leave. Just continue to spend a majority of my time as a world-citizen, based in Jax.

I think across the board, life in FL is getting much better. FL always had a long list of pros and a long list of cons. The pros are mostly remaining while the major cities are all working slowly to correct the cons. At least based on my preferences anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida