Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:14 AM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
How about Mt. Dora, the cool little artsy town on a hill overlooking a lake just north of Orlando? It's a very nice town to just walk around in, with many shops and local eateries. I also remember seeing B&Bs. I had lunch there a few years ago, and left thinking it would be one of my first choices in places to live (if I really had a choice).
I love Mount Dora as well but it really doesn't fit the bohemian/artsy vibe the OP is looking for. The only significant bohemian city/area in the state is St Petersburg's downtown areas (Grand Central District primarily). There are other art-centric towns in Florida, but they don't have the bohemian feel of places like Asheville NC, Burlington VT or Ithaca NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 08:42 PM

542 posts, read 701,765 times
Agree with the above post. There is lots of art/artsy places in FLA. You can find that anywhere there are people with huge sums of money. Getting the bohemian vibe is a whole other story though. It is such a huge state you would think it would have some pockets of liberal debauchery and hippiedom. In all my travels through the state I have yet to find much of that. First off the whole state is full of very old people they are not bohemian. The center of the state is rednecks and the northern part feels like the deep south. I would say if you don't like the keys, which at least can have a breezy attitude you might try Sarasota and st pete. If you do stumble on a place that you think fits your description please post it......

Old 01-26-2015, 04:39 AM

555 posts, read 891,894 times
Surely some bohemian-ish boomers will migrate to Florida (writes one who was hoping to be such a person).

Old 01-26-2015, 08:36 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I love Mount Dora as well but it really doesn't fit the bohemian/artsy vibe the OP is looking for. The only significant bohemian city/area in the state is St Petersburg's downtown areas (Grand Central District primarily). There are other art-centric towns in Florida, but they don't have the bohemian feel of places like Asheville NC, Burlington VT or Ithaca NY.
I both agree and disagree here. I think St. Pete is every bit as Bohemian as some of these places mentioned. For instance, Asheville, while Bohemian has a very high concentration of bums and "faux hippies" living downtown. St. Pete used to have more of that element, but tightened up and now you don't see so many panhandlers.

Also, I recently visited Tampa's downtown and Ybor - that area is getting MUCH more bohemian, with buskers all along the sidewalks and a lot happening.

At the end of the day, one has to visit these places in person to see if it fills their idea of bohemian. Not too many cities in Florida do. I live in Sarasota which I call "upscale" bohemian. To the north of me is Bradenton, which has a very small downtown but a whole "Village of the Arts" which is of course very bohemian, and has been written up in art magazines.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-26-2015, 12:08 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
I was in St Pete several months ago. The downtown area is nice but other than that, I wasnt impressed.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:12 AM

501 posts, read 1,881,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquoiseblu View Post
Any recs on a town like this? Looking to relocate to florida. Looking for somewhere with a vibe like that. Something similar to ashville nc or tulum mx. Not key west! Lol something morw kid friendly.
Sorry to say there are only "pockets" in Florida that resemble your OP. (Most of FL was only settled/developed/built after WW2!)

Florida isn't (generally) known for great educational resources for kids -- but the (mostly) awesome weather produces excellent opportunities for sports, athletics and exploring nature/marine life! There are also great student exchange programs in Florida to either host or have your kids travel!

If you venture around the State, here are my suggestions to find your "vibe":
Alachua/Lake Butler - North of Gainesville. County Seat. Low-Key Awareness Community.
Miconopy - South of Gainesville. Crafts trade/tourist store fronts and cafes
St Petersburg/Daytona Beach - Crafts trade; "community" pioneers of previously forgotten downtown
St Augustine, Sarasota, Vero Beach, Sanibel, Lake Worth/College Park - Lots of +/- (U Figure it out!)
DeLand, New Smyrna Beach, Cassadaga, Fernandina Beach, Winter Haven - History/Character/Arts/Spriritual Communities off the grid
Port Charlotte, Pine Island, Goodland, Cedar Key, Key Largo, Tarpon Springs, Edgewater, Buckhead Ridge - A hideaway for creative reclusive types with a lot of mileage

Good Luck!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 01-27-2015 at 12:23 AM..

Old 01-27-2015, 05:00 AM

555 posts, read 891,894 times
"A hideaway for creative reclusive types with a lot of mileage"

Hmm...this sounds like a lot of people we know.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:01 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
Sorry to say there are only "pockets" in Florida that resemble your OP. (Most of FL was only settled/developed/built after WW2!)

Florida isn't (generally) known for great educational resources for kids -- but the (mostly) awesome weather produces excellent opportunities for sports, athletics and exploring nature/marine life! There are also great student exchange programs in Florida to either host or have your kids travel!

If you venture around the State, here are my suggestions to find your "vibe":
Alachua/Lake Butler - North of Gainesville. County Seat. Low-Key Awareness Community.
Miconopy - South of Gainesville. Crafts trade/tourist store fronts and cafes
St Petersburg/Daytona Beach - Crafts trade; "community" pioneers of previously forgotten downtown
St Augustine, Sarasota, Vero Beach, Sanibel, Lake Worth/College Park - Lots of +/- (U Figure it out!)
DeLand, New Smyrna Beach, Cassadaga, Fernandina Beach, Winter Haven - History/Character/Arts/Spriritual Communities off the grid
Port Charlotte, Pine Island, Goodland, Cedar Key, Key Largo, Tarpon Springs, Edgewater, Buckhead Ridge - A hideaway for creative reclusive types with a lot of mileage

Good Luck!
In Pinellas County, I would add these 3 small cities for liberal and open-minded folks:
Gulfport
Safety Harbor
Dunedin

Old 01-28-2015, 08:01 PM

542 posts, read 701,765 times
The suggestions above from Daytonadewed and dothetwist are worthy of a look, I have been to almost all of those places and while there is really no comparison between someplace like goodland vs sanibel Each of those places has it's own specific type of charm. I personally wouldn't put them in the bohemian classification so I think we have strayed a bit from that. However these are certianly some of the cooler more interesting places where you may find some like minded folk. Some of these places are very small, some are cities so you have a real mix. They are all fun to go and look at and that alone is worth the trip. Come down rent a car for a month and just drive around to all the places. Spend a night in the ones you like. That is what I did and it is great fun. To the poster who suggested Bradenton, While they do have a very small area I just can't see that as viable in any bohemian way. Not long ago Bradenton had the most mobile homes per capita in the country. Over 55 parks, traffic, no I am afraid not...Anna Maria is nice though, right across the causeway you might stop there for a drink looking over the the water, order yourself some gulf shrimp, if the sun is setting and a good band is playing, you might just decide the bohemian thing is not that important. Best of luck

Old 01-29-2015, 07:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
St. Augustine and St. Pete both have thriving art communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida