Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:43 AM

276 posts, read 335,198 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the info! I was figuring on a short term bank loan. That would give me time to make repairs so I could roll it to a conventional loan.

After doing some research here I'm discovering other issues too. Such as the changes to the flood maps and the 50% limit to improvements. No doubt these types of homes are the ones that are $25k... a tear down since you can't legally fix them.

Quote:
That said you can get something nice but be forewarned no places are considered nice neighborhoods or safe unless your behind a gated community with rules and regulations
Is the crime really that bad? I am concerned a bit about leaving the property vacant for a few months at a time, but there must be thousands of snowbirds doing it. With monitored alarm and a property management company to watch it I would think the risk could be greatly reduced. Also as a part time residence there wouldn't be much to steal... no TV for me, it was destroying my brain.

I may have to abandon the whole idea or cough up HOA fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 10:27 AM

13,256 posts, read 22,657,287 times
The 'you must buy in a gated community because of crime' attitude is quite silly, IMO. Plenty of us prefer to not get that kind of third world housing vibe, and live in ungated areas on *gasp* public streets where the only crime you get is the occasional 'item stolen out of unlocked car parked in driveway', which is a crime of opportunity that stupid teenagers do in a lot of places. And plenty of guard gated communities have problems of their own.

The key is to not impulse buy a property and really learn about a neighborhood and make reasonable guesses about neighborhood trends before putting your own skin in the game.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:06 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,819,850 times
I was born and raised in the Sarasota county(North Port area)/Charlotte area. That's totally doable depending on what you need and expect. The home would probably be built in the 1950's-1980's, be smaller but there are still things out there, if you know where to look.

I just listed a bank owned home in Osprey, great neighborhood for just under $100K. It's pending now and had several offers. You just have to be ready to move when something comes up.

You're not going to find much in Sarasota, Osprey, Nokomis or Venice.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:42 PM

7,773 posts, read 10,063,802 times
Don't know about Sarasota but Jacksonville is doable.

As for the 50% rule I think you can finagle your way around that or spread the improvements out over several years.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Don't know about Sarasota but Jacksonville is doable.

As for the 50% rule I think you can finagle your way around that or spread the improvements out over several years.
Yea, I kinda wondered about the 50% rule...
If I spent 50% painting/fixing the outside then the assessment could double allowing for more repairs. Rinse and repeat.

I'll have to have a look around and see what fits me. I won't be jumping into anything too quick.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:04 PM

135 posts, read 256,187 times
You aren't going to find anything like that in Sarasota. Try Venice or Nokomis.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:14 AM

Update:

Well, I drove down to the Sarasota area to have a look around...
I am enjoying the warm weather but not the real estate market so much. As several of you stated, I found Sarasota to be too expensive. North Port seemed a bit too, um, well, not to my liking. Too many pawn shops and tattoo parlors. I found myself in Port Charlotte and got a stack of printouts from a realtor to go look at. A few were Fannie Mae Homepath properties. It was obvious that Fannie Mae had no idea what they were listing... Water damage, plumbing and electric missing or broken, and listed at a price of a home in good shape.

Once I started adding up the costs of maintaining a house in Florida while I went back up north, (lawn care, utilities, taxes, someone to watch over it, pool care if needed, etc.) the whole idea got to be a bit more expensive than I wanted to pay for.

Guess I need to save my pennies for another decade or so. Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be another housing market fade.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:54 AM

13,256 posts, read 22,657,287 times
Thanks for the update.

And yeah, best to hold off until it makes more sense for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida