Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 01:14 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times

Advertisements

This is the beginning of about half of all horror and sci-fi movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 01:53 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Every time people arrogantly try to 'fix nature', it turns out badly.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:27 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Every time people arrogantly try to 'fix nature', it turns out badly.
This is true. For whatever reason there may be the mosquito is here. Leave it that way.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:08 PM

577 posts, read 899,956 times
If they could genetically modify mosquitoes NOT to bite at all I might be for this. Even my kids constantly ask why did god make mosquitoes?? I think Satan made them!

Old 01-28-2015, 06:00 PM

56 posts, read 61,498 times
mosquitos dont scare us cause we sleep like babies on the beach! here we *** KEY WEST! ARE YA READY FOR US?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:21 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Everything in mother nature has a purpose and is a part of our complex ecosystem. The Mosquitos have a damaging role like spreading diseases but they provide food to many insect eating animals and its larvae provides food for fish as well as other animals. They also pollinate flowers like birds do. Without them the consequences would be grave.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:56 PM

814 posts, read 2,042,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded_38_Special View Post
mosquitos dont scare us cause we sleep like babies on the beach! here we *** KEY WEST! ARE YA READY FOR US?
mosquitoes are not meant to SCARE. The females are meaning to BITE ya ass

especially if you set up camp on the beach in Key west and the ocean breeze isn't blowing.
At dusk and dawn if the cops haven't hauled you off to jail yet, I can personally attest (from my many visits to Fort Zachary Taylor state park in key west) you will not be sleeping like babies unless you are covered up with some fine mosquito mesh nets or slathered in bug repellent
its not really the mosquitoes that get ya but them damn no seeum's they will put a hurting on ya if you don't have some sort of bug spray or proper clothing on.

from what I gathered from the following article only the males would be GMO'ed they don't bite but will mate with the females and pass on genes that eliminate the disease spreading one from reproducing. the article claims it worked in Brazil and the Cayman islands to reduce the population of disease spreading skeeters by 90% I am still a bit skeptical myself but i am not a scientist just someone who thinks messing with mother nature always has unintended consequences that don't manifest till its already too late to fix the problem.

Florida Health Officials Hope To Test GMO Mosquitoes This Spring : Shots - Health News : NPR

Old 01-31-2015, 12:14 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
mosquitoes are not meant to SCARE. The females are meaning to BITE ya ass

especially if you set up camp on the beach in Key west and the ocean breeze isn't blowing.
At dusk and dawn if the cops haven't hauled you off to jail yet, I can personally attest (from my many visits to Fort Zachary Taylor state park in key west) you will not be sleeping like babies unless you are covered up with some fine mosquito mesh nets or slathered in bug repellent
its not really the mosquitoes that get ya but them damn no seeum's they will put a hurting on ya if you don't have some sort of bug spray or proper clothing on.

from what I gathered from the following article only the males would be GMO'ed they don't bite but will mate with the females and pass on genes that eliminate the disease spreading one from reproducing. the article claims it worked in Brazil and the Cayman islands to reduce the population of disease spreading skeeters by 90% I am still a bit skeptical myself but i am not a scientist just someone who thinks messing with mother nature always has unintended consequences that don't manifest till its already too late to fix the problem.

Florida Health Officials Hope To Test GMO Mosquitoes This Spring : Shots - Health News : NPR
Thanks for the link to the article. From reading it, seems the GMO modified mosquito males mate with the female mosquitoes, whose progeny with the modified gene die before they reach adulthood. The intention would be to reduce the mosquito population over time.

IMO the jury's out on that one. I'd have to say this method beats the DC-3 planes that used to fly right over the treetops in the Keys spraying copious amounts of some strong-smelling black stuff ( petroleum-based?) all over when I lived there in the late 1970's. They usually did this at dawn, but sometimes when the mosquitoes were really bad, they would spray in the early evenings too, and it seemed it was always when I was out riding my bicycle.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:13 PM

139 posts, read 568,748 times
Default Solution

Is it possible to make GMO people who mate with the people who think it's good to create GMO bugs and food,...so that the GMO people die off ?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 AM

192 posts, read 375,580 times
And this is the beginning of the Zombie Apocalypse.

Before you know it the show The Walking Dead won't be a show anymore. It will be the real thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: