Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 09:53 PM

37 posts, read 45,668 times

Advertisements

Hello!
Saving up for a couple vacations for next summer!!!
We currently live in Ohio, Would love to go to Florida!
Are there any fun events or places for kids??? I would say disney but that seems sooo expensive!!! Our kids by then will be ages 9, 7, and 3!
We would like to be by the coast as to enjoy the beaches, are there any nice clean white sandy beaches??
We would prefer not being by a bunch of college drunks though(if there are any down there) lol.
Would love to sight see and visit historic places, Etc.... Museums, theaters, surf shops, a place with a nice cute Main Street.
Would consider staying at a bed and breakfast over a hotel, not sure on that though just yet. We are kind of on a budget but saving up as much as we can. We will be driving down there so need to save money for gas a well... But I would love to have a freshly grilled lobster tail while I'm there
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 11:26 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Some useful resources for businesses (hotels, restaurants etc):
Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor
www.yelp.com

You might be interested in St. Augustine. It's technically the oldest city in America. They have a cute main street that is closed to traffic. The beaches around there are very peaceful. Orlando isn't a far drive away. You could go to Islands of Adventure, the new Harry Potter World there is really amazing and it's much cheaper than Disney World. There are also water parks there etc.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Some useful resources for businesses (hotels, restaurants etc):
Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor
www.yelp.com

You might be interested in St. Augustine. It's technically the oldest city in America. They have a cute main street that is closed to traffic. The beaches around there are very peaceful. Orlando isn't a far drive away. You could go to Islands of Adventure, the new Harry Potter World there is really amazing and it's much cheaper than Disney World. There are also water parks there etc.
Yes! Thank you so much!!!! I went to Orlando as a child, visited Epcot, and I did LOVE IT! However I do remember it being pretty expensive.... We went to cocoa beach and I thought it was kinda dirty...but still had fun none the less....oh geez that was 16 years ago, I'm sure so much has changed.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
I agree with St. Augustine. Treasure Island on the Gulf Coast is nice as well. Vero Beach would be another option.

Many B&B's won't accept children, something to keep in mind.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:55 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,346,116 times
Tampa Bay. Clearwater and St. Pete beaches are very nice, Clearwater especially. There's also MOSI, the Florida Aquarium and Lowry Park Zoo for the kids. If you want, you can also do Busch Gardens for a little more. If you decide you want to go bigger and have the means, take the short trip up I-4 to one of the Orlando theme parks.

I would also reccomend Ft. Myers/Sanibel. Beautiful beaches in Sanibel and Captiva Islands. You can also go see gators at the Ding Darling nature preserve. Great fishing throughout the area. Kids may also like Thomas Edison winter home tour.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:58 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,406,360 times
St. Augustine is gorgeous! I spent a lot of time in that city years ago.... ohhh, the memories!

If you can make it out to St. Augustine, do it. You won't regret it.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:02 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Clearwater Beach is a great option with it's beautiful family-friendly beach (voted best in the US) and lots of activities for the kids such as Sunset at Pier 60, Captain Memo's Pirate Ship Adventure, Dolphin Encounter, Clearwater Marine Aquarium (home of the famous dolphin, Winter), the Lowry Park Zoo and Museum of Science and Industry in Tampa plus the Dali Museum and Chihuly Collection Museum in downtown St Petersburg.

Clearwater, Florida
http://www.sunsetsatpier60.com/
Clearwater Beach Florida - Pirate Cruises
encounterswithdolphins
Clearwater Marine Aquarium | CMA inspires passion to respect and protect our marine life and environment for future generations.
http://www.mosi.org/default.aspx
Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo | Voted #1 By Parents Magazine
Morean Arts Center
The Dali Museum, St. Petersburg, FL | Unparalleled collection of Salvador Dali art works

Old 01-29-2015, 05:32 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,181,971 times
I agree St. Augustine is a great city to explore. Hotels might be less expensive then a B&B with kids. Kids usually stay free if under 18 and many have free breakfast. Bid for ones on the beach and you will have the beach to explore and then the pools for evening swims. There's also lots of kid oriented places on beach side there like miniature golf etc. My kids loved the Castille-especially when they shot the cannons and even the Ripleys Believe it or Not Museum. The building there has the most amazing firepllaces, too.

Then after a few days head South to the Space Center. It is well worth the money to get in, but might be able to get passes from your home state senator to get in free. Spend the night in Titusville and head out to the Nationa Seashore(Playalinda Beach) the next day. It is a beautiful natural beach. There is a long nature drive and walking trails in addition to the beach. There is no water or places to eat out there so you need to pack everything you might want to eat or drink for the day. There are bathrooms at each parking area.

West on 50 in Orange County is Fort Christmas Park which could be a really cheap fun day. There is a replica of a fort which is a museum, a playground, tennis and basketball courtxs, picnic tables and grills, some old Florida cracker houses(shot gun houses) , school, church etc set up in the park to explore and learn about early life in Florida.

Brevard County has a pretty descent zoo that you can cayak, ride a train, and do tree top treks through. Ron Jons surf shop in cocoa Beach can take 2 hours or more to just walk around and look at stuff. The pier in Cocoa Beach to watch surfers and rent some boogey boards to play in the water. If coming down Easter week there will be a surf festival which is fun. They keep it family friendly. Usually have some tandem surfers and dog surfing contest, too.

If you have never been to Disney going for a day is well worth the cost. Also Sea World is a reat park for kids and sometimes they have been having speciasl deals like 1 kid gets in free with each adult ticket bought and I think for the whole year anyone 5 and under is free.

Just remember even doing small things like miniature golf, etc adds up so if your kids are like mine just swimming in the hotel pool and plaaying at the beach will be the favorite thing they do.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I agree St. Augustine is a great city to explore. Hotels might be less expensive then a B&B with kids. Kids usually stay free if under 18 and many have free breakfast. Bid for ones on the beach and you will have the beach to explore and then the pools for evening swims. There's also lots of kid oriented places on beach side there like miniature golf etc. My kids loved the Castille-especially when they shot the cannons and even the Ripleys Believe it or Not Museum. The building there has the most amazing firepllaces, too.

Then after a few days head South to the Space Center. It is well worth the money to get in, but might be able to get passes from your home state senator to get in free. Spend the night in Titusville and head out to the Nationa Seashore(Playalinda Beach) the next day. It is a beautiful natural beach. There is a long nature drive and walking trails in addition to the beach. There is no water or places to eat out there so you need to pack everything you might want to eat or drink for the day. There are bathrooms at each parking area.

West on 50 in Orange County is Fort Christmas Park which could be a really cheap fun day. There is a replica of a fort which is a museum, a playground, tennis and basketball courtxs, picnic tables and grills, some old Florida cracker houses(shot gun houses) , school, church etc set up in the park to explore and learn about early life in Florida.

Brevard County has a pretty descent zoo that you can cayak, ride a train, and do tree top treks through. Ron Jons surf shop in cocoa Beach can take 2 hours or more to just walk around and look at stuff. The pier in Cocoa Beach to watch surfers and rent some boogey boards to play in the water. If coming down Easter week there will be a surf festival which is fun. They keep it family friendly. Usually have some tandem surfers and dog surfing contest, too.

If you have never been to Disney going for a day is well worth the cost. Also Sea World is a reat park for kids and sometimes they have been having speciasl deals like 1 kid gets in free with each adult ticket bought and I think for the whole year anyone 5 and under is free.

Just remember even doing small things like miniature golf, etc adds up so if your kids are like mine just swimming in the hotel pool and plaaying at the beach will be the favorite thing they do.

Great ideas!!!! Thank you so much for the detailed message! I am soo excited to just be on a Florida beach period, the sound of the ocean is music to my ears!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida