Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 03:26 PM

8 posts, read 7,490 times

Advertisements

Hi City-Data Peeps!

I need help from all of the Florida natives or recent Floridians that have re-located there from other states. We currently live in Michigan in a smaller suburb (about 10,000 people). We have lived here all of our lives and we would like to re-locate due to the horrific long, cloudy winters. We love our current city (great schools, very very low crime, small town feel but close to amenities like malls, shopping, entertainment (within 15 miles of our current city). I am currently a stay at home Momma with three kids (11, 10, 6) and I have finished up my pre-requisites for the nursing program at a local community college, I am awaiting entrance into that program now. My husband has an associates degree in HVAC/Refrigeration and has 7+ years under his belt in that field, he currently works for General Motors and while it is a good job, the many layoffs over the past few years have him fed up! So, in a nutshell, we are looking for a city to re-locate to that has very low or low crime rates and good schools. We will not be purchasing a home because we would rather rent until we figure out exactly where we want to be. My husband has submitted many resumes and a company called "Coastline Cooling" is very interested in him. SO...CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND OR ADVISE US ON A GOOD AREA TO START OUR SEARCH?

#1. Community College or University nearby where I can pursue my nursing degree.
#2. Good Schools
#3. Low Crime
#4. HVAC/Refrigeration Jobs
#5. Smaller, friendly towns that are not really far from Orlando or the beach
#6. Home rentals that fall between $900-$1200 per month
#7. Coastline Cooling's reputation???
#8. Cities that offer a feasible commute to a hospital or medical center for job prospects for myself

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 09:17 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,779,514 times
HVAC can be found in all around the state but look in the Lakeland, Ocala area as those areas tend to have more manufacturing and distribution plants. Seminole County has some of the best schools in Orlando metro area so look at communities in Longwood, Winter Springs, Oviedo, Altamonte Springs and Lake Mary are good places to start a search. Lake County also is little more rural and less crowded but can provide what your looking for in your requirements.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:35 AM

26,987 posts, read 43,547,091 times
You'll find your rental budget is surprisingly on the low side for the Orlando metro area which has higher than average rents due to the housing foreclosure crisis. Orlando still leads the country in foreclosures which has forced many into the rental market and spiked demand. I wouldn't recommend very much in the current price range in terms of safe with good schools, but if you could bump up to $1300-$1400 a month your options would open up considerably.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the replies! I guess I didn't really specify as to what region of Florida we are interested in but we love the Gulf of Mexico sleepy beach town feel and we love all the action in Orlando and we are also theme park junkies so... Is there any safe, affordable town that is in between the Gulf and Orlando that has reputable schools? Thanks again!!

Old 01-30-2015, 02:32 PM

Do all of the cities around Orlando that were mentioned above have actual downtowns?

Old 01-30-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunobession View Post
Thanks for the replies! I guess I didn't really specify as to what region of Florida we are interested in but we love the Gulf of Mexico sleepy beach town feel and we love all the action in Orlando and we are also theme park junkies so... Is there any safe, affordable town that is in between the Gulf and Orlando that has reputable schools? Thanks again!!
Then given the potential for work with the company that has a Tampa office also I would recommend focusing more in that area where you'll find good schools, safe areas and housing within your budget. Check out Brandon which has what you're looking for and is in close proximity to Tampa and not far from the beaches.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:03 PM

Thanks Kyle19125! I will definitely check out Brandon!

Old 01-30-2015, 04:13 PM

Ok, I looked at Brandon, FL. Seems crime rate is somewhat high. Any input or advice?

Old 01-30-2015, 06:00 PM

555 posts, read 888,561 times
The Melbourne area isn't rural, but the schools are reputed to be good. We visit relatives there with some frequency and have felt perfectly safe; there are also nice beaches and a community college. It's the Atlantic, not the Gulf, but you might want to consider Brevard County. Here's a Trulia search for rentals below $1200 with 3+ bedrooms: Melbourne, FL Apartments For Rent — 19 Rentals — Trulia.com

Old 01-30-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunobession View Post
Ok, I looked at Brandon, FL. Seems crime rate is somewhat high. Any input or advice?
Like other cities in most areas of the country, the higher crime areas are somewhat isolated from the mainstream neighborhoods and tend to be not random...i.e. perpetrator and victim know one another. Crime stats can be useful but aren't always indicative of the overall situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida