Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:16 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Great! Why aren't you packing your bags? Why oh why would you be spending time here on ol overpriced Florida? Hmm? I'd also be willing to bet that the Palm Beach Post did NOT print any story recently predicting a further drop of that magnitude.

Because I dont yet have enough money for a downpayment on a house out of Florida. I hope to have enough by summer to move out. Even if palm beach county house prices halved, I wouldnt be able to afford much of a house here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDog View Post
Ever seen Texas in person? Many buyers have, and that's why buyers are willing to pay more for Florida.

Ive been to the airport for a few hours because it wasnt a nonstop flight. That didnt count. I would also pay more for Florida but not double!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDog View Post
Palm Beach prices will correct, but it'll always be pricey because it's Palm Beach. There's a reason why the wealthiest of the wealthy buy homes in Palm Beach. If the Scripps Inst. thing ever really takes off and truly develops a biotech R+D base in PB watch out. The main thing separating South Florida prices from Southern California prices is income disparity/job quality, if that gets erased expect Palm Beach prices to go ape do-doo as high-paid workers compete with the already-rich for scarce land.

I dont mean palm beach island, I mean palm beach county. Miami is more expensive than pbc. The scripps will add another 50 jobs out of 500,000 residents in pbc. Thats a drop in the bucket. The hurricanes and insane insurance are a big reason Florida is cheaper than California. Jobs pay much better in California than Florida. Even if you got your dream job in Florida, the same job pays far more in California. The weather is also better in CA. Lots of people are moving out of Florida(and CA for the matter) so I expect house prices to keep dropping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
MrT, was Dallas that bad?? We had thought about going there before moving here.

Nah it wasn't that bad and I lived in I guess is the best area of Dallas. I missed Fla though .' HOT in the summer. More than South Fla.

Lower Greenville is a hoot and a half!

Please tell me about Dallas. Heck, please tell me about Texas. They have some of the cheapest houses for a metro city! I can get cheaper houses but only in towns and small cities!

Old 11-09-2006, 01:24 PM

243 posts, read 1,096,814 times
I dont mean palm beach island, I mean palm beach county. Miami is more expensive than pbc. The scripps will add another 50 jobs out of 500,000 residents in pbc. Thats a drop in the bucket. The hurricanes and insane insurance are a big reason Florida is cheaper than California. Jobs pay much better in California than Florida. Even if you got your dream job in Florida, the same job pays far more in California. The weather is also better in CA. Lots of people are moving out of Florida(and CA for the matter) so I expect house prices to keep dropping.

The weather ain't better in Cali. The strip of coast east of I-5 from Santa Barbara to San Diego has nice weather, though chillier than Miami in the winter. The rest of Cali is either chilly+foggy or desert hot. Lots of people moving out of Cali + Florida, but even more are moving in than out.

Also, I stated if the Scripps thing takes off, as in if it spurs along other R+D facilities in the area. Nobody expect Scripps alone to do much.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:51 PM

In costal CA cities, its mild in the summer and winter because of the pacific ocean. Where it can be 90 here, its 75 in costal CA and ive been there so I know. Ill take CA weather anyday. I wont live in any of CA that has a fog problem as thatll make driving unsafe and also I wont see a thing. The bay area isnt too bad, ive been there and there is fog but its about 100 feet above the ground and looks like very low clouds. Really neat too! The ground is clear and driving is safe. Florida needs so many things to be anywhere near as expensive as CA. Its never happened in history and probably isnt likley to ever. CA just has too many advantages over FL. Oh did I mention that global warming is going to eventrually sink Florida? We will lose parts of Florida within 50 years. All the Key West will be gone and parts of Miami in 50 years. People will then get scared and not buy in Florida. Because most of CA is mountains, we will just lose the costal potion, a small percentage of CA but we may lose all of Florida since its low elevation.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:59 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Palm Beach? Ever heard of "Belle Glade" or South Bay?

Old 11-10-2006, 12:09 PM

Home values erode more! In my newspaper, there was the real estate section and that big Olympia community and developers slashed prices on all their houses! The cheapest one is about 3450 living square feet at $530k or $154/foot! Theres a 4000 living square feet for $644k or $161/foot. Many other houses and most are now below $200/foot. Cost is dependent on the lot size and how nice the house is inside and out. There is also a new low price point, $380k for 1800 living square feet. I remember at the peak you couldnt touch a house there for less than $500k to $600k for the cheapest model. Prices are dropping everywhere and not just in Florida.

On the internet, I read an article that forcasts prices dropping till 2009 and staying flat for a few years. If they are right, its a bad time to buy now, wait till the bottom!

Old 11-10-2006, 12:39 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
That's just silly. Prices can't go down. Wer'e running out of land, and you'll be priced out of the market forever. Youv'e got to get in now before the market drops more and you save a ton of money! Florida's working off a whole new ecenomical system. It's kind of like a wish sandwich but without the bread.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
That's just silly. Prices can't go down. Wer'e running out of land, and you'll be priced out of the market forever. Youv'e got to get in now before the market drops more and you save a ton of money! Florida's working off a whole new ecenomical system. It's kind of like a wish sandwich but without the bread.

LOL spoken like a realtor in reverse! Even if prices drop more, Florida is no longer considered cheap or a good deal like it used to be many years ago. Ive been checking out Texas and more recently Georgia and both have much better prices

Old 11-10-2006, 01:49 PM

72 posts, read 226,542 times
I grew up and live in FL and will be leaving soon due to the unrealistic high cost of homes here.
I have heard from a few friends that the "rich are trying to squeeze the middle class folks out of FL" Could that really be true? Are they purposely forcing people out of FL? If that's the case, then FL will be out of Police officers, fire fighters, teachers, etc. VERY SOON.... We're ALL Leaving!

Old 11-10-2006, 02:00 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Default Home Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
LOL spoken like a realtor in reverse! Even if prices drop more, Florida is no longer considered cheap or a good deal like it used to be many years ago. Ive been checking out Texas and more recently Georgia and both have much better prices
Be careful what you see on the internet. We just went to Tennessee and I was determined to look for my heaven on earth, so I took my list with me and actually drove around and found several of the places. Some were at least 20 miles from the nearest grocery store or gas station, and/or on roads where a 4x4 is necessary. Some, although stated to be on at least an acre or more were maybe 50 feet back from the main road and the next door neighbor within talking distance. Just be prepared to be disappointed with what you see on the internet compared to the "greener pastures" visions.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:05 PM

467 posts, read 1,691,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
see ya...............................................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida