Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 04:27 PM

227 posts, read 283,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
LOL...how come we never see these posts anytime from March - December?

Don't believe yer own hype..most people are content to sacrifice New England winter for New England springs, summers and falls.

That's because New England is beautiful and diverse in its geography.

The other issue is finding good schools after growing up in the Northeast. There's just some fundamental values/lifestyles we were raised to not leave behind. Complaining is a part of the lifestyle sometimes.

However, I'm counting down the years till we move to Florida from Boston- all year round. Darn contracts. The real sacrifice is the cost of living and moodiness. We left CT the week of (December) graduation to escape that hell-hole and the loon that runs it, but only got as far as Boston due to the job situation. Goal is to get the education masters degree (for him) and some savings under our belt so aren't renting perpetually as we would have to up here.

I hope my fiance' and I can become a positive contribution to the state working in education and tech

Not all New Englanders are insane and weather-obsessive though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 04:39 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Boston and the northeast is getting hammered...again.

This keeps up, half of Boston will head our way.
Ithaca, New York, so cold that tourism site directs visitors to Florida - Money - TODAY.com

Old 02-17-2015, 04:56 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
^^^ Here they come!

Old 02-17-2015, 07:18 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Ithaca is gorges.....It's really awesome in the summer, the waterfalls and gorges are amazing. But you pay for it a few months later

Old 02-17-2015, 07:40 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Ithaca is gorges.....It's really awesome in the summer, the waterfalls and gorges are amazing. But you pay for it a few months later
Sure do ... Cornell tuition is really expensive.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:55 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Sure do ... Cornell tuition is really expensive.
was talking about the weather. It's a balmy 0 there right now, without wind chill lol. but if you're talking tuition, Ithaca college is cheaper (slightly)

Old 02-17-2015, 08:12 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
was talking about the weather. It's a balmy 0 there right now, without wind chill lol. but if you're talking tuition, Ithaca college is cheaper (slightly)
Great area - painted houses one summer in Ithaca while in college. Summers are awesome up there in the Finger Lakes and no brain-eating amoeba.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:37 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
It has actually been a pretty cool winter this year in Florida. Hasn't gotten much into the 80s at all. When I left for NY (LI) on Saturday, it was still in the 50s. I've never seen so many Snowbirds wearing long pants and jackets! Now when THEY are dressing like that, it must be "cold". lol

My husband called to tell me that the low in Naples on Thursday is forecast to be 35 degrees. Inland must be going below freezing then. I can feel for the growers with that one. Do they cover the citrus trees?

I like the cold myself, but Monday night was 3 degrees with 40 mph winds making it feel like -14 degrees. Now THAT was cold, even for me. Today it's sunny, no winds, and in the 20s. Positively BALMY. This I like, not minus anything. lol

Old 02-20-2015, 10:03 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I lived in Melbourne/Vero Beach, Fort Myers/Cape Coral/Estero, and other cities and towns, and I saw barely any difference in COL. I'm sure Lauderdale, Miami, and other areas are more expensive. Melbourne apartments were the same as Cape/FM. And Vero was right at the same as FM. Still ALL of FL is a lot less that here in Taxachusetts. Looking at house prices I can see where it costs more and less. I looked in Lake Mary, minimum houses $220K++, Melbourne $100K+, Cape Coral $120K+ average. And I am being realistic, I am looking at a normal house on an average street, not a beach home at $750K+++++. Food, gas, utilities are all the same. Pay rates are about the same. When I buy a house in a couple years I'll most likely buy in Cape Coral, with runner up areas being the Spring Hill area, or Venice/North Port. I love Melbourne, but the area is looking less desirable.
But isn't one of the reasons you moved up North was because of health reasons down here?

Old 02-21-2015, 08:20 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
But isn't one of the reasons you moved up North was because of health reasons down here?
Yes it was, but after 3 years here, I have come to the conclusion that winters here are far more unbearable for me than the heat was there. I love my summers and fall here until about the middle of October. This winter has been miserable. My work forces me outside during every storm, for the entire storm and beyond doing snow removal. Sore back, rotator cuff is now having issues, knees. Yeah I know wahhh wahhh. Heat intolerance is nothing compared. And I won't get on the topic about home prices and cost of living here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida