Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 10:18 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmorg3 View Post
i have lived in florida my whole life and have been currently living in the delray beach - boynton beach area for most of it. I have never witnessed any crime or been a victim. Yes, there are bad areas - but i suppose there are bad areas everywhere else too. for the area i live in, staying west of military trail is the way to go.
Those are the unincorporated areas though. If you lived in the actual cities you'd witness a lot more crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 AM

90 posts, read 374,873 times
I used to live in Plantation Fl and loved it. It is close to the Broward mall, Sawgrass Mills Mall, Olive garden, Macaroni Grill, Smokey Bones BBQ, and many other points of interest. My husband and I lived in Jacaranda Village apartments, thel units are basically corner units and you have more privacy. Less crime than Hollywood, Lauderhill, Miami, Ft Lauderdale and Hallandale Beach. Hallandale Beach is packed with senior citizens (no offense if you are one) who cant drive very well and traffic is horrible. Plantation is clean and beautiful. The beaches are about 30 min away by highway.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:00 AM

19 posts, read 102,069 times
Default Florida is safe

Florida is safe, at least, where i am, Hollywood, you have to be careful no matter where you live and i believe more careful here because of all of the People and those that are from everywhere, every state and every country. You are going to have more crime because there are more People here.

I have not had any trouble, not at our House, our neighborhood nor when out and about. I go to Hard Rock alot, to the Beach, to eat at Restaurants, to Comedy Clubs, Key West, Orlando, etc.

There are alot of nice people here but like any Large State, you are going to have some Bad ones also. And i believe Transients pick Florida, it is a good place to get lost and alot have always run to Florida for that reason alone. You just have to be careful about where you are, what time you are there, just like anywhere else.

I was thinking since i am not into Crime, live in a good area, i should not be affected but you do have innocent bystanders every day. My chances are better because of the area i live in has low crime, i am not into the things that usually brings crime with it or a chance of that happening. I am older, not into running around late at nite on the Streets, Club scene, things like that, you just have to be careful. So i believe it depends alot on your area, your lifestyle. And luck as anywhere.

It seems most likely where you run into Trouble is on the Streets, driving, if going to be doing alot of that you will have a better chance at having an accident here because of the enormous Traffic, I-95, especially. I do not work so do not have to worry about that but my husband is in it every day up and down I-95. They have some wild drivers here, reckless drivers, those who are not insured or licensed. So it depends on lifestyle, etc.

I have friends who have lived here just about their entire lives, they as far as i know, have not encountered any problems living here except higher costs!! This used to be a great State to live in, as far as costs, it may revert some because of the Economy, Housing market but Miami, Ft. Lauderdale Area has always been higher, more expensive. If you want to pay less, need to look into areas that are outside the main town, away from the main interests. Northen Florida, cooler weather in the winter but not as bad as up Northern U.S. If you want to be where everything is, as i do, then you have to be willing to spend more.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:42 AM

23 posts, read 73,107 times
Default Delray beach???

We are thinking about Delray Beach just west of 95. Can anyone give some input in that area? My daughter will be going to college in Boca Raton but that is a little more expensive.
I like to be close to everything and want to make sure my daughter is safe driving to and from school. It will be myself my 92 year old mother and 19 year old daughter so conveinience and safety is key!!!!!!!! Also if you know anyone who is renting a nice three bedroom please reply with that info.

Thanks
Debbie

Old 01-28-2008, 07:45 AM

23 posts, read 73,107 times
Default Delray Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Those are the unincorporated areas though. If you lived in the actual cities you'd witness a lot more crime.
How about Military Trail and Atlantic? Is that a good area??
We are looking into a complex there and taking it sight unseen. Please forward any info
regarding this area.
Thanks

Old 01-28-2008, 08:11 AM

137 posts, read 550,330 times
Nothing is crime free but I think Levy & Gilchrist counties offer a safe & family oriented environment!

Old 03-01-2008, 03:53 PM

36 posts, read 95,769 times
the bottom line that is going on here is plain they view any of us that are possibly seeking a better life as "snowbirds" and we have little or no right to come to THEIR Florida. So if you scare enough people then things will be great. They are angry that their houses went bust and they cannot get the 1 million dollar price tag any more. If anyone out there that wants to live up to the spirit of these forums and have the guts to give us a balanced version of the area I really want to hear from you.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:48 PM

155 posts, read 1,052,928 times
Sarasota County---Venice area pretty nice area

Old 03-01-2008, 07:53 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Wink Safe in Florida

My family and I grew up in Florida. In the extended family, there are over 40 of us from age 2 to 85. None of us have even had a break in. Ever. My sister lives in Boca Raton and while I would never do this - they sleep with their windows open.

I never have done that even in a gated community.

I have visited lots of Florida cities - never a problem!

(But you do need to use common sense).

Old 03-01-2008, 09:28 PM

195 posts, read 1,168,324 times
Default I agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
I've been participating on the forums for a few months now--not just for Florida but for many different states (I was raised in West Palm Beach, I'm currently living in the metro New York City area, and I'm interested in many different western states with the goal of living there at least part time), and I'm beginning to get the impression that there isn't any forum here where there's not at least a vocal minority saying, "Don't do it! Don't move here! There are no jobs here, the schools are bad, it's dangerous, you don't want to raise a kid here, you won't be able to afford it here," and on and on. I'm beginning to think that the City-Data.com forums should be renamed the ChickenLittle.com forums. You'd think that no one could manage living anywhere if you based your opinion just on these forums.

So, how about it? Can anyone name a location where the forum doesn't have at least a vocal minority trying to warn hopefuls away?

The forums are seeming more like an interesting sociological phenomenon to me than a source of even remotely reliable data, because they seem to be attracting pessimistic worry-worts.

This is the reason why there are a lot more whiners on these forums (ALL of the state forums...even HAWAII!) compared to the few of us that are happy and content. Most of the people that are content with their life in any state (minus the mods who HAVE to be here) either don't have time to post on these forums because their out enjoying their life and have no reason to complain, don't even know these forums exist or are here to try to find more happy people but keep running into the 'moaners', get disgusted and leave the forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida