U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 11,563 times

Advertisements

Come to Tallahassee... the topography is more hilly and green and we have good ma and pa places, it's clean, we actually have a cute little downtown area... the colleges are centralized and kept in their own little areas, with all the family areas spread out around it. I've been living here for five years after I graduated college and became a teacher... and I've managed to avoid the one college "strip" for the majority of my time!!! It's amazing.. we just need more of a night life for us older folks! Other than that, if I have to move, it's simply job opportunity... because I've been living here since I was 16 and it'd break my heart to have to live in some other Florida hell hole!
Rate this post positively

Old 01-22-2008, 09:14 PM

62 posts, read 335,122 times
Yea it took about 2-3 years here to see everything and eat out enought to know every menu in town by heart.

Don't see the crime but then again I live on the NW side of town.

I agree with about 75% of the OP.

The OP may live on the East side.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:07 AM

28 posts, read 106,701 times
Oh My God, Did Someone Drop You. Leave, Leave Now. Actually I'll Pay For Your One Way Ticket. It Seems As If You're The Kinda Person That Feels "the World Hates Me." You Know, I Wish I Was 90 And Capable Of Tailgating With America's Youth. Please Put You Head Between Your Legs And Run Far Away From Here. We Don't Need People Like You.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:19 AM

367 posts, read 1,619,218 times
We hope very much that our daughter will be able to attend UF for college next year.
I loved the whole idea of her living at that campus, it's so alive and has character that makes the American college experience what it should be.
However, I would probably never choose it as a place to live. It is a college town to me, pure and simple. I know there are other parts to it, but if you are from a background, one that is centuries older, with all that goes with it, and a colder climate, Gainesville is unlikely to be the place to live.
She will go to Gainesville. if accepted and enjoy a different way of life, till it's time to move on to her real world.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:26 AM

387 posts, read 1,527,599 times
What an overtly rude, obnoxious post. Why even move there in the first place, especially if you don't like or appreciate the University of Florida? The "Gator spirit" is there, and deservedly so as UF is an amazing research institute (the BEST in the state, and I'd venture to say in the SE). UF is an epicenter of learning, progression, culture, medical groundwork, etc. Plus, our athletics are awesome. So yes, the people of Gainesville and UF alumni are proud of that. If that's annoying to you, well then, that's really a shame.

Gainesville's not a big city... and I don't think there's ever been a claim of that. You're not going to get the expansive array of restaurants that a big city like San Francisco has to offer. It's unrealistic. That said, there are plenty of amazing restaurants that I really miss. Cafe Gardens, Saigon Legend, Dragonfly, Emilianos, just to name a few.

Not only is there so much to do in Gainesville, but the areas around are full of inexpensive ways to have fun. The springs just 30 minutes north of town are great ways to entertain and educate children. Take it another 50 minutes and you're at the beach. Within an hour and a half you could be at Disney, Seaworld, Busch Gardens (note: I don't think Disney is a great way to entertain children, but it's there).

You're also within 1.5-2 hours of THREE international airports. The access to cheap travel (especially international) is unmatched. I don't understand how anybody could take this for granted.

The negative is that there aren't enough jobs for people like me to move back there at this time. Working toward a PhD. to eventually return to G'Ville and my beloved UF.

Sorry you had such an awful time there, and the only thing I can see that's like "high school for adults" is your rant that should have been posted on LiveJournal.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:59 PM

127 posts, read 481,536 times
I love Gainsville...lived their as a kid for 2 years...lived in a wonderful neighborhood with plenty of other young families and i visit there almost every other month as my 2 aunts and thier families as well as my grandmother live there. I would move there happily.

But some places don't match with some people....For anyone considering moving there...i suggest you take a visit there...and see how YOU feel there.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM

87 posts, read 184,293 times
People maybe offended by the UF statements, but other than that his claims are extremely accurate. The major pro that i'm close to three major areas which I rely on heavily to help escape g'ville. The segregation and racism is crazy and i'm from alabama. Place is backwards along with many of its citizens. However, there are nice forward thinking people. Food is decent and whoever said crime is bad hasnt lived a major area or truly knows what high crime truly is.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 22,943 times
The original poster was absolutely dead on about Gainesville. And for all of you that argue his point, then you obviously have you head up your ass, or you don't know that you are miserable because you've never seen what life can actually be outside this hell hole. I've lived in Gainesville on two separate occasions and have never liked it. And interestingly enough its for the same reasons posted above. I am living in Gainesville now unfortunately, with not much way out. I came here to help out family, but over that time I've spent ALL of my savings while TRYING to find a job here. Now I'm broke with no where to go because I got no money! I've lived in numerous other cities and NEVER had the problem finding a job like I have here. That's just the first problem.

NEXT, just as the original poster stated. "It's a great place to raise a family" - no, it isn't. It's disturbingly racist (from all sides), the crime is really bad and not like typical urban crime"
CORRECT!
This town is incredibly racist but will go to great lengths to assure people they are not. That actually leads right into the backstabbing and two face people just as the original poster described. I have encountered this so often in my stay in Gainesville. And it's sad, because as an artist I would think there would be a small chunk of people who are against the mundane and "normal" Gainesville way. But no it seems everyone is a drone only there to protect their own self interest but will pretend to lend a helping hand.

I could go on and on, but the most important parts are already mentioned in this thread. The job market is terrible unless you are in the medical field or attending the university. I am highly qualified and have yet to find a job that is worth taking. And I've been looking for several months.

The rudeness and the two faced people of Gainesville make it a difficult place for HONEST people to make friends. Like the original poster said, its better off just to smile and wave, rather than actually express your point of view. It seems in this ****y i mean city that if you don't conform to the mundane Gainesville way, then you are unwelcome.

Well unwelcome me Gainesville, I don't want to be here anyway.

And whoever is offering up to pay for the one way ticket out of Gainesville, if you are still offering I'll take that ticket and be on my way. And I promise that I'll never look back.

Strange that in any other place I visit or live, I have no problem finding a job and making friends, but in Gainesville everyone is so uptight and focused on themselves that no one is willing to extend their hearts and hands to thy neighbor. So bump you. I don't need it.

Want to know how much Gainesville sucks?

Ryan C Stith Official Website

Old 02-06-2008, 10:05 AM

7,885 posts, read 9,724,041 times
Well, it's run by Gators. What do you expect?

Seriously though, despite the college football rivarly that *requires* me to hate Gainesville, I have to disagree with some of the posters here. I think they overlook some basic facts which lead to unrealistic expectations.

Gainesville is a small college town situated in a rural area. What kind of job market do you expect to find there?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 22,943 times
hey the worst part of it all is, I've always been a Gator fan.

And my expectations for a job market were that at least a qualified non student would have a fighting chance for a decent wage. Instead many of the UF programs recruit students into companies all over Gainesville without ever even accepting applications from external applicants. Others just transfer to their job in Gainesville from all over the country and again, do not even have to apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida