U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:14 PM

5,507 posts, read 10,083,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainesvillesucks View Post
hey the worst part of it all is, I've always been a Gator fan.

And my expectations for a job market were that at least a qualified non student would have a fighting chance for a decent wage. Instead many of the UF programs recruit students into companies all over Gainesville without ever even accepting applications from external applicants. Others just transfer to their job in Gainesville from all over the country and again, do not even have to apply.

um. That is what a University does, find jobs for it's students.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-07-2008, 08:58 AM

137 posts, read 531,507 times
Well said......WAIT a minute...there can't be educated people in Tally??? Go ahead and tell us the truth...you graduated from UF and moved to Tally to find a job...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Well, it's run by Gators. What do you expect?

Seriously though, despite the college football rivarly that *requires* me to hate Gainesville, I have to disagree with some of the posters here. I think they overlook some basic facts which lead to unrealistic expectations.

Gainesville is a small college town situated in a rural area. What kind of job market do you expect to find there?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:15 AM

7,885 posts, read 9,724,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR82BAGATOR View Post
Well said......WAIT a minute...there can't be educated people in Tally??? Go ahead and tell us the truth...you graduated from UF and moved to Tally to find a job...LOL
No that would be my wife...now she's 100% Nole. She's not alone - there is actually a job market here that doesn't revolve around flipping burgers or making the garlic rolls at Leonardo's.

Leonardo's is still there, isn't it? Memories of most of my Gainesville visits are kind of hazy for some reason....

Old 02-07-2008, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 22,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
um. That is what a University does, find jobs for it's students.

Yes but perhaps there should be a lower cap on the spots filled by interns and unpaid/underpaid students.

The homeless rate in Gainesville continues to climb. I wonder if has anything to do with the diminishing job pool, and crumbling housing /mortgage market.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:16 PM

137 posts, read 531,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
No that would be my wife...now she's 100% Nole. She's not alone - there is actually a job market here that doesn't revolve around flipping burgers or making the garlic rolls at Leonardo's.

Leonardo's is still there, isn't it? Memories of most of my Gainesville visits are kind of hazy for some reason....
It's still here and most the population in G'ville is hazy! I have always preferred Tally to Gainesville, as far as location and beauty, it is truly not obsessed with the college crowd like here, but that's what pays our bills in G'ville! Love it or hate it....we cater to those under 25!

I better go...I need to put some pickles on a Big Mac...lol No I actually work for UF! I love them Gators!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,707,641 times
We moved from Jacksonville, FL to Tennessee. Gainesville was like a second home to us; if we had been living in Gainesville we would never have moved. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Gainesville makes that list every year because it is a great place to live. It is a college town and everything does probably center around UF, but there is always something going on because of UF. I wouldn't want to live right off campus, but there are plenty of gorgeous neighborhoods to choose from, plus you are only an hour away from Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa. Get out and look around. In the summer, go to the springs and learn to scuba dive. Go over to Silver Springs near Ocala. You're only about an hour away from Daytona Beach and all it has to offer.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:57 AM

7,885 posts, read 9,724,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR82BAGATOR View Post
It's still here and most the population in G'ville is hazy! I have always preferred Tally to Gainesville, as far as location and beauty, it is truly not obsessed with the college crowd like here, but that's what pays our bills in G'ville! Love it or hate it....we cater to those under 25!

I better go...I need to put some pickles on a Big Mac...lol No I actually work for UF! I love them Gators!

Tallahassee keeps the student stuff pretty much confined to the area west of downtown. Within that zone, it is pretty much a college atmosphere. Some students attend 4 years here and never leave this small area or discover the "rest" of Tallahassee or realize how big it really is. I don't think I realized how beautiful this place was until after I graduated and started looking around for places to live.

But if you can find a decent job, Gainesville wouldn't be a bad place to live either. Just being in better proximity to the springs of the area would be nice.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:41 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,707,641 times
Having been to both many times, I much prefer Gainesville to Tallahassee.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:12 PM

387 posts, read 1,527,795 times
The anti G'ville posts are... hilariously dramatic. It's funny when a few people REALLY detest a town... it's like, well, put together a well thought out paragraph that outlines the way you feel, and maybe people will respond with suggestions, etc. I'm pretty sure my response was as objective as I can be (being a UF alumna).

I'd love to raise a family there... it's my absolute favorite place in Florida. No place is a paradise... well, not in America anyway. Gainesville has many problems spots, some not as bad as Alachua County as a whole, and some worse. I feel that UF does a great job in trying to address and solve those problems that plague the city.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:10 PM

36,888 posts, read 38,310,992 times
So far, I have lived in CA (LA, Santa Barbara, and San Fran), NYC, NJ (Hoboken), TN (Nashville), FL (Gville and Orlando), IL (Chicago), CO (Denver) and Madrid, Spain

So why did you leave these places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida