Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 12:08 PM

10 posts, read 35,681 times

Advertisements

i reside in orlando fl. and coming from new york is very different in many good ways and also it has its downs. in my opinion comparing ny to orlando i like the streets here their smooth and there are less traffic lights compared to nyc streets, anyone coming from there knows how the pot holes are everywhere in most parts of the city. The weather is very nice. Apartments in orlando are very nice with a lot of ammenities and nice pools and also cheap. Traffic is not as bad as the city. As far as jobs goes I will have to go with new york all the way on that one the jobs here dont pay much.and little oportunities, i had a friend here in orlando that worked for a good company over 20 years and got layed off and he had to deal with it cause you have no rights or unions or nothing like that. the pace is very slow here and most people know that even the stores or gas stations that you walk into to buy a simple drink, if theres a line oh boy their slow. and the nightlife for people on that partying stage well it sucks. clubs end at 2am downtown orlando its so small that is funny. theres like 5 clubs and there small as hell djs here in my opinion suck 2 . well this is my view of things. i mean florida its nice and all but you have to have a good financial stability to enjoy some the good things orlando has to offer. with out good money its not as fun. for someone trying to make it happen money wise new york is where its at. ''and thats where ill be in a few days to finish school and make money and evetually when the money is right i might consider buying a house somewhere in florida. I know orlando is orlando and new york is new york but for someone who wants to achieve something .... New York it is.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:02 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times
Wink It all depends on what you want

I too came from NY. It's very different down here. Yes, a much slower pace.
It also seems that New York people migrate to one another. Some people from other states don't like us New Yorker's. Why? They would say that we are rude. I say Nay, nay! There are rude people everywhere.

Florida is a wonderful place if you can put up with people looking at you and thinking you are going to bite their heads off. I am sorta sick of that.

There are plenty of grumpy old people from other states that don't know how to smile or laugh. They can't take a joke, and watch out if you talk too loudly, they will go and call the cops on you.

The neighbor next door is from Massachusetts and he had company over at 6pm. The radio was playing (which wasn't loud) and an old grumpy neighbor from Michigan called the cops! What a freakin' joke that is.

I am tired of all the old people complaining about this and that too down here.
They should really give the younger people a chance, don't ya think?

We are moving out of Florida because of a variety of things, especially the hurricanes!! I hate the wind now.
Florida is a nice place to visit, but I have had enough!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:16 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Let's keep to the topic.
There are difficult people everywhere....this thread is close to proving that.

If you are from NY and are thinking of going back, this thread is for you.

Frank D.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:22 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Native Floridians

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
I too came from NY. It's very different down here. Yes, a much slower pace.
It also seems that New York people migrate to one another. Some people from other states don't like us New Yorker's. Why? They would say that we are rude. I say Nay, nay! There are rude people everywhere.

Florida is a wonderful place if you can put up with people looking at you and thinking you are going to bite their heads off. I am sorta sick of that.

There are plenty of grumpy old people from other states that don't know how to smile or laugh. They can't take a joke, and watch out if you talk too loudly, they will go and call the cops on you.

The neighbor next door is from Massachusetts and he had company over at 6pm. The radio was playing (which wasn't loud) and an old grumpy neighbor from Michigan called the cops! What a freakin' joke that is.

I am tired of all the old people complaining about this and that too down here.
They should really give the younger people a chance, don't ya think?

We are moving out of Florida because of a variety of things, especially the hurricanes!! I hate the wind now.
Florida is a nice place to visit, but I have had enough!
I can honestly say that I have gotten along better with them than ex-New Yorkers. I did not move here for the reasons the majority of New Yorkers did and there is also the fact that I want to go move home someday. I knew this long before I moved. This tends to put up an immediate barrier with them. The native Floridians could care less than I want to move back. The New Yorkers get very defensive about that.

With the natives it never gets that personal. The two people I have met that I have gotten along very well with are a coworker and a former neighbor, both natives. We talked mostly about what affects our daily lives; everything from school budget cuts, an insane condo association, tainted tomatoes, cost of living, kids, etc., etc.

Yes, I will go with the natives over people from my own state living here.

To answer the OP, I miss my kids and the 4 seasons. That about sums up why I want to move back.

Last edited by TANaples; 07-20-2008 at 02:02 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 07:00 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personofinterest View Post
Where are all the down to earth people?

Out west!

Old 07-20-2008, 07:23 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
There's no potholes because there is no ice. One of the things that I like about Florida is that there are no potholes or frost heaves. It's great driving at Christmas or New Years on smooth roads.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:31 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
As far as the driving goes, I think Florida drivers are much worse than NY. I guess we're impatient, but nowhere (except in Florida) have I seen cars that take 2 miles to get up to the speed limit after stopped at a light. I've driven a lot the two weeks I've been down here, and I just cannot believe the stupid, careless mistakes drivers make; like turning left at a light and coming into your lane for no reason. Those kinds of things. And I know they're locals because nearly all the people in Naples right now are the locals; not snowbirds lol

Last edited by sunrico90; 07-22-2008 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: Orphaned post

Old 07-21-2008, 05:24 PM

776 posts, read 1,673,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Out west!

I see you have travelled as well... A totally different vibe than the east coast or the south.. And then you have South Florida a world unto itself..

Old 07-21-2008, 05:29 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
I see you have travelled as well... A totally different vibe than the east coast or the south.. And then you have South Florida a world unto itself..
Depends on where in the west too. I can tell you that Phoenix is a much different vibe from Eugene, OR...and then you have LaLa Land and the semi-detached Orange County apparatus which is a world unto itself...each region has it's own general vibe but cities within just their respective METRO AREAS, let alone REGIONS vary tremendously. Just in the "world of it's own" South Florida, try and tell me Cooper City is not dramatically different from Boca Raton or Riviera Beach in terms of the way people act.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:56 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default People from Upstate New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
I get the example at the store (the Brooklin accent), but how on earth do you know the person behind you is from New York?? That sounds a tad like xenophobia to me: "That person is rude, ergo, he can't be from Florida, he has to be some outsider, most probably a gosh darned Yanquee". Relax, the civil war is over.
don't have a Brooklyn accent. Most probably couldn't even tell where they are from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida