Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:13 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
I like the area -- but for this non-hippy liberal Democrat from northern New Jersey, the political vibe is quite offputting. When you see signs that say "Obama suicide", and "Keep your government hands off my Medicare", you tend to wonder about the people in the area.

Most of the drivers need courses in remedial driving, and for all the vaunted politeness and friendliness here, I've had more door slammed in my face here in five years than I did in over fifty back home. And if I hold a door for someone (which I always do), I've learned not to expect a thank-you in return.

Well welcome to FL, the lack of manners gets worse the further south into the state you go.

It was even more obvious after taking a road trip through GA up to NC. People were much friendlier and had manners in stores and restaurants.

There are some very nice people in FL, but in general there are many rude, ill mannered people who now call FL home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 07:44 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
I like the area -- but for this non-hippy liberal Democrat from northern New Jersey, the political vibe is quite offputting. When you see signs that say "Obama suicide", and "Keep your government hands off my Medicare", you tend to wonder about the people in the area.

Most of the drivers need courses in remedial driving, and for all the vaunted politeness and friendliness here, I've had more door slammed in my face here in five years than I did in over fifty back home. And if I hold a door for someone (which I always do), I've learned not to expect a thank-you in return.
I just drove through Florida and while I love the weather, I note that it is a real struggle to make the decision to move there, for political reasons. It does seem to be the capital of the low-information voter sucked in by Fox News. My dad does note that here are a wide variety of political stances in his golf group, so that's good. Could Florida morph into California or Massachusetts? I hope so. And certainly if more progressives move there, that would help.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:24 AM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
I just drove through Florida and while I love the weather, I note that it is a real struggle to make the decision to move there, for political reasons. It does seem to be the capital of the low-information voter sucked in by Fox News. My dad does note that here are a wide variety of political stances in his golf group, so that's good. Could Florida morph into California or Massachusetts? I hope so. And certainly if more progressives move there, that would help.
I hope to God that Florida never morphs into California.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:57 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
I hope to God that Florida never morphs into California.
1,000 times this^^^. We don't need another California....that state is ruined.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:14 PM

242 posts, read 346,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

Old 04-22-2015, 02:27 PM

68 posts, read 97,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post
I hope to god IT DOES morph into California (just with more water lol). Florida is a political mess run by greedy capitalist thugs, backwater "rebels" and the Faux News, tea party loons. California is moving up and doing well financially --- Florida is still infighting over Obamacare (yes republicans, your own people are fighting themselves) and slowly sliding backwards into the ocean.

At least the President opened up some time in his busy schedule to do the job of Florida republicans and try and bring awareness to the Everglades and Climate change. We as a nation are lucky to have had him after Bush ravaged this country with 2 wars, patriot act fascism, torture, lies, Katrina failures and a complete collapse of the economy ushering in the WORST recession in decades.

Oh and btw, its 10,000 not 1,0000. ----> All the more reason we need to be more like California, they can count properly

Old 04-22-2015, 05:49 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkindraven View Post
I hope to god IT DOES morph into California (just with more water lol). Florida is a political mess run by greedy capitalist thugs, backwater "rebels" and the Faux News, tea party loons. California is moving up and doing well financially --- Florida is still infighting over Obamacare (yes republicans, your own people are fighting themselves) and slowly sliding backwards into the ocean.

At least the President opened up some time in his busy schedule to do the job of Florida republicans and try and bring awareness to the Everglades and Climate change. We as a nation are lucky to have had him after Bush ravaged this country with 2 wars, patriot act fascism, torture, lies, Katrina failures and a complete collapse of the economy ushering in the WORST recession in decades.

Oh and btw, its 10,000 not 1,0000. ----> All the more reason we need to be more like California, they can count properly
There has to be a punchline to this nonsense out there somewhere.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:03 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
There has to be a punchline to this nonsense out there somewhere.
Seems pretty accurate to me.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:51 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That won't happen don't worry. Because even the Californians that decide to leave, usually due to housing costs, don't move to Florida. I'm sure there there a few exceptions, some people like to experience the primitive way of life. Mostly they're either moving farther up the Pacific coast, or else the interior western states. Vegas and Phoenix are filled with people from CA. About one in every ten cars on the road here has a CA licence plate here. Florida is no alternative for Californians.

BTW: didn't you forget something in your thread? You forgot to tell us that your a native of Florida.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:04 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
That won't happen don't worry. Because even the Californians that decide to leave, usually due to housing costs, don't move to Florida. I'm sure there there a few exceptions, some people like to experience the primitive way of life. Mostly they're either moving farther up the Pacific coast, or else the interior western states. Vegas and Phoenix are filled with people from CA. About one in every ten cars on the road here has a CA licence plate here. Florida is no alternative for Californians.

BTW: didn't you forget something in your thread? You forgot to tell us that your a native of Florida.
Well I'm from Los Angeles who moved to Miami Beach, FL. Couldn't love it more, but I don't think I'd move to any other area of Florida but Miami. Everything else seems to be suburban sprawl, retirees from the midwest, and grumpy southerners at their state being overtaken.

Arizona on the other hand, I'd probably never move to. I used to have a girlfriend from Phoenix, and I'd make the 5 hour commute from California to see her parents. The only benefit of Phoenix is the cheapness and proximity to California (and I guess good Mexican food). Everything else, the lack of the ocean, the browns, the extreme heat, gets to me.

The Pacific Northwest I could move to, but the weather is not my cup of tea tbh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida